my fav blues record- "London howlin wolf sessions 1968"

ozboy

There has never been a better blues record that I know of. I have read criticisms it's too commercial, not raw enough and the wolf was past his best for sheer power and high end, but he still had balls, timing and know how. Herbert sumlin and Clapton on guitars, the Rolling Stones rhythm session with Charlie watts absolutely perfect on drums, keys for Stevie win wood for the most part and some great horn playing to add extra texture.

Some me the songs "who's been talking", "what a woman" seem so simple but I get something new from them even after listening to them 500 times.

The mix is also brilliant. Not a track on it I don't love.

Anyone have one one they think compares?

edit: apparently it's a 1974 release not 1968.

Last edited:
I'll have to give this one a listen. I love these old blues tunes and they are always fun to play. It always seems like they are deceptively easy to play until you start working on getting the timing and the feel right.

Not going into a lot of detail. I could ramble on for hours about this.
My nomination is an album by DVR called, appropriately enough, Van Ronk.
Just a repacking of "Folksinger" and "Inside" from the very early sixties.
When I heard this album in 1985 at 15 years, it ignited my passion for acoustic fingerstyle guitar and I've never looked back and still play and love it today.
DVR turned a whole generation of "white boys" onto the original country blues.
He is unknown now, which really sucks.
Very large and eccentric man ... he and John Fahey ... weird sh1t, but fabulous guitarists..

I will look that one up. Never heard him but I know he gets mentioned as one of the guys Dylan used to listen to and did a good version of St James infirmary from what I've read.

did I mention the brilliant engineering and mixing on the howlin wolf one. Just listen to the understated cowbell on " I ain't superstitious" or Clapton underneath winwood on "who's been talking"

Back