MXR EVH 5150 Pedal

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
I believe I have posted some demo vids I found on this pedal awhile back.
After I got done installing my new tuner buttons this morning, the FedEx truck arrived with my new pedal.
This thing sounds as good as they rave about in the reviews.
Eddy himself told Duncan that he could not tell the difference between the pedal on a clean channel verses his dirty channel on his amp to get his unique "brown sound."

Unfortunately I do not know any Van Halen songs to play :D
I think this will be replacing my Wampler Plexi Drive I bought awhile back.
The adjustable noisegate is very useful on it too.
Have not played it through the Mesa yet on the clean channel, but it sounded great on the Blackstar ID 30 amp on the bight and warm clean channels.

mxr_evh_5150.jpg

http://www.guitarworld.com/review-mxr-evh-5150-overdrive-pedal/26049
Two vids at the above link.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/evh-5150-overdrive

I had put Pete Thorn's demo in the ongoing thread I have on his demos, but I will repost it here too as I love to hear Pete play.
There are quite a few vids on YouTube of this new pedal.

Tomorrow I will get a chance to try it with the Mark Five 25.

Damn...I need another overdrive pedal like the proverbial hole but this one has me interested. Of course Pete Thorn's awesome riffage could probably sell me a box of corn flakes.

Great sounding pedal, according to Pete's demo. I'm just very disappointed that the boost function isn't footswitchable. A wide pedal like that is going to take up 2 "normal" spaces on the average pedalboard, at least for people that have them packed in like I do. Would love to get one for the tone, but I know it would take up too much real estate :(

Thanks guy's.

Andy, it is not that big of a pedal, about the same size as the Wampler I pulled off today if you turned it sideways.
Not that much wider than the TC tuner pedal I have.
The boost switch on it would be kind of hard to hit with your foot, but it is a switch you push to activate.
I did a video of it a bit ago, will post it to Les's video thread in a bit.

mxr_evh_5150_2.jpg

Thanks guy's.

Andy, it is not that big of a pedal, about the same size as the Wampler I pulled off today if you turned it sideways.
Not that much wider than the TC tuner pedal I have.
The boost switch on it would be kind of hard to hit with your foot, but it is a switch you push to activate.
I did a video of it a bit ago, will post it to Les's video thread in a bit.

mxr_evh_5150_2.jpg
The wampler plexi drive is one of my favorite pedals. I need to try the new EVH pedal, seems like an awesome pedal.

Dang, another great review! A friend has one and he owns a couple Mesa amps that he loves and he hates pedals! He loves it and said this gives him the voices that he loves and that the Boogies don't have.

Cory, I know lots of Van Halen stuff. Can I borrow it? ;)

He he he...
Glad the pedal is working out for your friend.

Hey, just realized something, this is only my second MXR pedal I have owned.
My first was the original Phase 90 in orange I got back around '73 or '74 when I was still in high school.

Back