Most Fun I've Ever Had Watching A Music Video!

László

Too Many Notes
I stumbled onto this yesterday. It's a Russian folk band called Otava Yo (Using Roman letters). It's so much fun, and so full of life, I had to share!

For those concerned about recent events (like me), you should know that they refuse to perform in Russia (their country) because of the Ukraine invasion. Watch it all the way through, you will get a new appreciation for this music and the history/culture. They've performed in the US, by the way.

The video has won festival awards.

Just watching this made me joyful.

PS the leaves in the sauna are a Russian thing, also a Yiddish thing, called a Visht in Russian, a Playtsa in Yiddish. Linden leaves are used. They give off aromatic scents thought to cure headaches.

Last edited:
I must say, that is an EXCELLENT production, all the way around! The cinematography, the editing, the story, the music, all top notch IMO!! Even the credits were beautifully done!!! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely check out some more of their stuff!!!!
Isn't it great? And doesn't it remind you a bit of our own Appalachian folk music?

But the humor in the song and the joy in the production...that's what gets to me.

Last edited:
Isn't it great? And doesn't it remind you a bit of our own Appalachian folk music?

But the humor in the song and the joy in the production...that's what gets to me.
With you on the Appalachian vibe! Kind of reminds me too of a band I met decades ago from Germany!! They were a Gypsy Jazz type unit called "Hot Club De Zigan" and I still listen to the one record I have of theirs!!! Just filled with vibrancy and life the way this outfit is!!!! These are definitely people not looking at their music as "work" but instead as life itself!!!!!

With you on the Appalachian vibe! Kind of reminds me too of a band I met decades ago from Germany!! They were a Gypsy Jazz type unit called "Hot Club De Zigan" and I still listen to the one record I have of theirs!!! Just filled with vibrancy and life the way this outfit is!!!! These are definitely people not looking at their music as "work" but instead as life itself!!!!!
It's a universal language. It's pure communication, and shared emotion. We don't often acknowledge how deep that goes.

I've been reading a lot of central and Eastern European history. Perhaps I've read too much, because listening to certain folk music puts a lump in my throat. But...this one makes me kinda want to visit Latvia immediately, if not sooner.

Latvia:

I stumbled onto this yesterday. It's a Russian folk band called Otava Yo (Using Roman letters). It's so much fun, and so full of life, I had to share!

For those concerned about recent events (like me), you should know that they refuse to perform in Russia (their country) because of the Ukraine invasion. Watch it all the way through, you will get a new appreciation for this music and the history/culture. They've performed in the US, by the way.

The video has won festival awards.

Just watching this made me joyful.

PS the leaves in the sauna are a Russian thing, also a Yiddish thing, called a Visht in Russian, a Playtsa in Yiddish. Linden leaves are used. They give off aromatic scents thought to cure headaches.
You do seem to have a proclivity for Russian videos, even when they don't have attractive women walking around playing accordions.

You do seem to have a proclivity for Russian videos, even when they don't have attractive women walking around playing accordions.
It's gotta be genetic! 150 years ago, all of my ancestors lived in the old Russian Empire!

No doubt this explains why my parents considered the accordion an actual musical instrument...

[laughing so hard tears are coming out emoji]

Trivia of the day: Why is the Hamburger a hamburger?

SFX: Buzzer

Time's up! Here's the answer:

During the period 1850s - 1900, Central and Northern - Eastern European immigrants boarded ships bound for the US in Hamburg, on the Hamburg-America Line.

The cheap berths didn't include food. The immigrants would buy meatballs in Hamburg to flatten into patties that could be quickly cooked during the journey. Thus, Hamburgers.

['go figure' emoji]

PS, Hamburg was (and still is) Germany's largest port.

Last edited:
Back