Minor issues on new PRS SE Custom.

slabuda

First issue was last night I broke string and while changing it I noticed the plating on the machine head (2 ea.) was flaking off. As this is not officially covered under warranty I e-mailed PRS and will see what they say. The guitar is only a couple weeks old, however I believe it to be a new 2012 model that came into GC and was on clearance. Has anyone experienced this before?

Please see the attached pics for what I mean.

I may end up replacing the tuners anyway as I am having tuning issues when using the trem arm mostly. I have tried to clean up the nut slots with sandpaper as some were very stiff and I heard plinking at times, as suggested by Paul from PTC on the PRS forum but that has not helped. I have tried graphite in the slots as well but still deal with tuning issues, mostly with trem use but at other times as well. I have stretched strings multiple times and checked bridge/screw heights etc as mentioned in PRS FAQ set up ad all seems quite close.

Thought about using the Grover 406C locking tuners as they are a drop in replacement and at a good price on Amazon, as well as the PRS USA nut. Although I may need to search to find a trusted tech as my experience with GC Boise has not been good if I decide not to change it myself. I am quite handy (USAF Avionics craftsman on the F-15) and can measure with digital calipers to match the size up etc. so may give t a go.

Still with the minor issues I do enjoy it and hope to progress learning.

Last edited:
Bummer! I have a pile of SE tuner parts that I'll gladly send you if you decide to keep them.

Bummer! I have a pile of SE tuner parts that I'll gladly send you if you decide to keep them.

Cool man! But lets see where his goes first. Why waste postage/time if PRS can help or if I go the Grover way.

By the way Sergio, you are from my neck of the woods, well at least where I grew up anyway. Across the state line in NWI, Griffith right next to Scary Gary Indiana.

I may end up replacing the tuners anyway as I am having tuning issues when using the trem arm mostly. I have tried to clean up the nut slots with sandpaper as some were very stiff and I heard plinking at times, as suggested by Paul from PTC on the PRS forum but that has not helped. I have tried graphite in the slots as well but still deal with tuning issues, mostly with trem use but at other times as well.
It still sounds like a nut issue, not a tuner issue. Guitars from GC can go through some, well... "changes" let's just say, before you buy them. I have seen some... "interesting" let's just say, guitars being passed off as brand new. What I'm getting at is the strings are probably thicker than the nut is cut for. If you take it to a good tech and get a good setup done, these issues should be resolved. Or better yet, you might consider upgrading the nut to a USA one as you mentioned, they're only $28 for two of them.

Cool man! But lets see where his goes first. Why waste postage/time if PRS can help or if I go the Grover way.

By the way Sergio, you are from my neck of the woods, well at least where I grew up anyway. Across the state line in NWI, Griffith right next to Scary Gary Indiana.

Word! Just let me know if you need 'em. Always good to meet a neighbor, and welcome to the forum!

Good help from PRS cust serv. Going to send new tuner nuts, and was cool enough to pop in a pack of strings as well. Cant beat that!

Also going to try new strings to see if tuning stability gets better. If not Ill go for a PRS USA nut and still may pop for the locking tuners, saw a set on a guitar and looks like string changes are super easy that way.

Hi i put grover 406c tuners on my SE Custom 24 piece of cake to fit no drilling ect but broke 2 high E strings in a week first time in 20 years both broke at tuning peg, Grover said may be a bure and could send it back but i was leaving U S 2 days later so cleaned hole up with wet and dry didn't seem that sharp anyway so i gave the string a 3/4 turn on the post to take some pressure off seemed to do the trick the normal way of winding these tuners only gives 1/4 turn, ive heard of other people having this problem.

Back