Mayer with a "new" PRS Combo ??? Dead & Co

Hmm, interesting indeed! Almost, almost looks like an old 2-channel Custom 20/50 Combo form factor. Like this one currently listed on Reverb (randomly selected, but looks "right"):

https://reverb.com/item/44110050-prs-custom20-2-channel-handwired-amp

yix2wjq5sv7184xeyqbm.jpg

I think Mayer just likes to change it up every so often. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever he's using has been modded for him by PRS.
He's definitely been changing it up over the past three Dead and Company tours...in 2019 it was a Dumble, then three Alessandro modified Deluxe Reverbs took it's place. The original Super Eagle disappeared on the 2019 tour and "Honey" the three humbucker 594 got the lion share of playtime. Then, 2021 he's been playing a Silver Sky for 75% of the night, with "Honey" getting a few tunes. On occasion, he's got a killer sounding Platinum 594 he pulls out for the blues based tunes...that guitar has "it" !

Last edited:
He's definitely been changing it up over the past three Dead and Company tours...in 2019 it was a Dumble, then three Alessandro modified Deluxe Reverbs took it's place. The original Super Eagle disappeared on the 2019 tour and "Honey" the three humbucker 594 got the lion share of playtime. Then, 2021 he's been playing a Silver Sky for 75% of the night, with "Honey" getting a few tunes. On occasion, he's got a killer sounding Platinum 594 he pulls out for the blues based tunes...that guitar has "it" !

My feeling is that he should play whatever he's inspired by, whenever he's feelin' it. I'm pretty sure I would if I was doing more than the Tour de Basement Studio.

Seems to me that Platinum has some special mojo that Shawn confirmed, but could not disclose.

It is hard to see, but it doesn't look like anything is actually plugged into the front input. The Custom 50 is a great amp. I am not hearing anything in that song that it would not be capable of doing. It would not surprise me if he had a stock one on the stage.

It is hard to see, but it doesn't look like anything is actually plugged into the front input. The Custom 50 is a great amp. I am not hearing anything in that song that it would not be capable of doing. It would not surprise me if he had a stock one on the stage.
I concur, it appears to be a backup or just placed there for "appearance" sake. The tour's second leg picks up on 10/6, so we'll have to wait and see.

Back