Kennedy Center Honors

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
CBS showed the Kennedy Center Honors ceremony tonight. I recorded it and only watched the Billy Joel and Carlos Santana segments. I have to say, I felt some sympathy for Rufus Wainwright - kind of hard to follow a bunch of veterans singing the chorus from "Goodnight, Saigon". That's a chilling, emotional moment each and every time. I saw Billy Joel in concert on the Nylon Curtain tour (among others) when he brought the vets on his road crew out to sing that, and it was on Veteran's Day, and I still get chills thinking about it.

But Carolos is the more relevant artist here. I really liked Buddy Guy's performance of "Hoochie Coochie Man", although I could have done w/o the editing. Funny to see the president singing along to "Black Magic Woman". Orianthi was part of the band, playing what looked to be something close to a Blue Makenna Santana model.

I came in late, right when the Shirley McClain tribute started. The Billy Joel tribute gave me goose bumps. I'll have to catch the Carlos part on youtube...

Back