Interview with David Grissom

KidCalamina

Hello everyone. In case anyone is interested, I just published an interview with David Grissom as part of my podcast Myth vs. Craft. Great guy, shared a lot of great stories.

http://www.mythvscraft.com

The episode is pretty long (over an hour) so here's a recap:

- Why he switched from drums to guitar

- His flirtation with jazz

- Playing with Kenny Aronoff in college

- Why he moved to Austin

- How Austin circa 1983 was "guitar land"

- How Joe Ely was a huge influence on him

- Playing in John Mellencamp's band

- Passing on a gig with Rod Stewart to form Storyville

- Co-writing hundreds of songs as part of a publishing deal

- His approach to songwriting

- His thoughts in performing

- What he looks for in bassists and drummers

- His 1960 Strat

- Why he started playing PRS guitars

- Thoughts on vintage instruments

- Favorite guitars

- Perceived prejudice against non-traditional guitar brands

- Why he thinks he's had the success he's had

- Advice for aspiring musicians

Great interview - not only interesting stuff from Grissom, but you're a very fine interviewer!

Great well thought out questions and answers. The most in depth interview we've ever heard.

Some favorite quotes: "I wanna live where you can eat that food..."; "If you're not going to show up, don't even put on your guitar" and "Every guitar has a different song in it".
We're lucky enough to live in Austin and have had several opportunities to see and hear him live at the Saxon Pub on Tuesdays.

Great well thought out questions and answers. The most in depth interview we've ever heard.

Some favorite quotes: "I wanna live where you can eat that food..."; "If you're not going to show up, don't even put on your guitar" and "Every guitar has a different song in it".
We're lucky enough to live in Austin and have had several opportunities to see and hear him live at the Saxon Pub on Tuesdays.

Wow, thank you for the kind words.

And thank you for pulling those quotes. Looking back you're right that he had quite a few quotable lines.

Back