Interesting Facts

IKnowALittle

Let's lighten up a little.

EVH only divebombs.
The most famous "John" is Lennon.
The Sun does not rise or set.

Likely the most famous guitar in the world, not the most valuable, wielded by an underappreciated superstar.

Want to learn some blues ... check this out.
I really don't like the "noodling", but hey, can't have everything.

And, the most important.
Chuck Norris can divide by zero

Last edited:
Gary certainly could play the blues. But I found him more interesting when he was more bombastic, such as his collaboration with Greg Lake on "Nuclear Attack".

I love all things Gary Moore. That said, his Victims of the Future album is my favorite. Really loved it when he went the blues direction too. That Les Paul is actually now owned by Kirk Hammett.

I think the most famous "John" in the world is Chuck Norris

Gary Moore had the most epic guitar faces in the history of music! Love, love, love his interpretation of "The Messiah Will Come Again."

I love all things Gary Moore. That said, his Victims of the Future album is my favorite. Really loved it when he went the blues direction too. That Les Paul is actually now owned by Kirk Hammett.
I read somewhere that it was originally Peter Green's, and that Green was the one who originally had the pup mounted backward.

My man! "Victims" is far and away my favorite GM, too. I even have a signed vinyl copy that I picked up for $5 way back when at a local radio station's Christmas charity event.

There was a remastered version of Victims released in the UK - I think the track order is different, and there's a small amount of music not on the US version. It sounds great, too.

My man! "Victims" is far and away my favorite GM, too. I even have a signed vinyl copy that I picked up for $5 way back when at a local radio station's Christmas charity event.

There was a remastered version of Victims released in the UK - I think the track order is different, and there's a small amount of music not on the US version. It sounds great, too.

Signed copy! That's b!tchin'! His version of Shapes Of Things blew my mind! Nothing I don't love about that album!

I read somewhere that it was originally Peter Green's, and that Green was the one who originally had the pup mounted backward.

It was. There are a few different stories around about how that pickup got reversed. He did it (flipped the magnets) intentionally. He did it accidentally and didn't bother changing it back. A guitar tech accidentally re-wired it in reverse. Who really knows, but the result was spectacular! Moore ended up with it in 1969 when he traded an SG and a few hundred bucks to Green for it. It sold for $2 million at auction in 2006. Not sure who bought it, but Hammett bought it from whomever that was when that person was in need of $'sssssss

Signed copy! That's b!tchin'! His version of Shapes Of Things blew my mind! Nothing I don't love about that album!
Great rendition. I used to play that song in his version, back when I was a hotshot young guitarist.
Then my voice dropped a bit more, and I could no longer sing it well enough to perform live.

It was. There are a few different stories around about how that pickup got reversed. He did it (flipped the magnets) intentionally. He did it accidentally and didn't bother changing it back. A guitar tech accidentally re-wired it in reverse. Who really knows, but the result was spectacular! Moore ended up with it in 1969 when he traded an SG and a few hundred bucks to Green for it. It sold for $2 million at auction in 2006. Not sure who bought it, but Hammett bought it from whomever that was when that person was in need of $'sssssss

Saw an article today that said Jol Danzig (of Hamer) examined the guitar and believes it came from the factory that way. He pointed out that the pickup internals looked undisturbed, and that Joe Bonamassa has a stock 59 LP with the same setup.

Saw an article today that said Jol Danzig (of Hamer) examined the guitar and believes it came from the factory that way. He pointed out that the pickup internals looked undisturbed, and that Joe Bonamassa has a stock 59 LP with the same setup.

Interesting. I did not know that.

Interesting. I did not know that.

Here's the relevant part of the article...

As Hammett notes, part of this particular guitar’s mystique is down to its distinctive warm-but-trebly tone. “It’s a unique guitar in that the pickup is turned around,” he says. “It’s facing the opposite way, so when you play with both pickups on in the middle position, it creates an out-of-phase sound that sounds like a Fender Stratocaster.” Green attributed the tone to his own tinkering, claiming he’d reversed a magnet in the neck-position humbucker. In another telling of the story, a repairmen accidentally rewound one of the pickups—it’s not certain which—in reverse.

This is the version Hammett tells in the video. In all likelihood, the alteration occurred during the guitar’s manufacture. Noted guitar designer and builder Jol Dantzig had a chance to examine the guitar firsthand in June 1984, while it was owned by Moore, and found that “the magnet was reversed on one pickup,” he wrote. “Because the pickup internals looked undisturbed, I concluded that it must have been a mistake at the factory.”

Dantzig adds that Joe Bonamassa owns an original-condition Burst with the same error. Green bought the Les Paul second-hand for the equivalent of $300 and used it during his time with John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers when he took over from Eric Clapton. He continued to play it when he formed Fleetwood Mac in July 1967 with former Bluesbreaker bassist John McVie and drummer Mick Fleetwood, using it to write and record many of the band’s greatest songs, including “Oh Well,” “The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Prong Crown),” “Albatross” and “Black Magic Woman.” Shortly before he left Fleetwood Mac in 1970, Green loaned the guitar to Moore, who at the time was in his teens and still unknown.

http://www.guitarworld.com/kirk-ham...-and-gary-moores-les-paul-see-it-action/25904

Three things:

1. - Count me in as another Gary Moore fanatic. He's The Man!
2. - I submit that the most famous 'john' might be the toilet variety. Universal familiarity, etc.
3. - Sun is Forever. 706 Union Ave., Memphis Tennessee, USA.

Goldtop Lloyd - Keeping it light.

3. - Sun is Forever. 706 Union Ave., Memphis Tennessee, USA.

Yes it is.

Million_Dollar_Quartet.jpg

Gary's rendition of the Easybeats number
Friday On My Mind Get's me every time although it's a great song who'ever do'es it.

Back