Incoming NGD....

markd21

I've been feeling the loss of my SC245 57/08. Been doing a lot of recording lately and the ME-V just doesn't cut it for everything. It sounds too good, lol.

Seriously, the ME-V is amazingly versatile. But not being able to blend volume levels with different pickup combos can get limiting. I did pickup an Eastwood/Airline 59 3p DLX. It does killer stuff - 3 humbucker-sized single coils with 3 vol/tone controls and a master volume. It twangs great. But, I miss the straightforward singlecut tones.

Enter the SE245. I grabbed the charcoal burst 2021 at Dave's (my go to spot over the last few years). I already have a set of 57/08s. I have SE locking tuners on their way.

Sean at Gunstreet Wiring in Portland is doing a custom wiring harness for me. Here's the rundown:

Main Filter Circuit: PRS style high pass
Secondary Circuit: Coil Cut tone pots

* Note - Flip order of controls. Bridge vol/tone where neck controls go. Neck vol/tone where bridge controls go.

Parts:
* Switchcraft toggle
* 3/8 500K 450G CTS pots (2)
* 3/8 500K 450G CTS push/pull pots (2)
* 0.022Uf CDE "Orange Drop" caps
* Rean NYS229 output jack

It should end up being a pretty toneful instrument. It'll very closely resemble my much missed SC245 57/08 sonically. The wood won't be as nice, obviously, but I'm hoping for the best.

Couple of questions for those who have bought some of the newest SE guitars - since the signature logo was added....

How is the nut? I'm not planning to change it unless it is crucial. It's not a big deal part, cost-wise. I just don't know how to swap and cut a nut myself and don't want a tech spending weeks on it unless I must.

Also, that adjustable stoptail looks like a USA bridge. Is it? I'm trying to remember, but I think the S2 singlecuts I've had were equipped with USA stoptails, while the trems on my S2 Standards were import. Insight here will help, but as long as it works I'll be pleased

I still need to get some clear lampshades and ivory pickup rings. Then it'll match up with my charcoal ME-V quite nicely!!

Back