I was watching StarTrek: Strange New Worlds last night and noticed something

You gotta be kidding. I'll be 74 this year. :)

Saw The Day The Earth Stood Still in the 1950's back when Drive In's were still common.
Gort! Klaatu berada nicto!

As a weird side note...a year or two ago I thought to myself, "What if I was given the opportunity to write a film score for 'The Day The Earth Stood Still?"

So I sat down and wrote a piece of music thinking about that movie, especially the opening sequence where the saucer is spotted over Washington, lands, etc. I wanted to write it in kind of a 1950s style, complete with a theremin style sound. Can't say whether it captured the mood, but I had a lot of fun doing it.

Here 'tis:

Last edited:
I’m feeling fairly certain that every single space battle in every space movie has had audible sound…every single time.

Not being mean, but is “Star Trek Whatever New Series” this is your first foray into sci-fi?
I'll risk being That Guy... IIRC the rather bleak Battlestar Galactica series from the 2000s didn't dub "pew pews" and engine noises and explosions on the space battles. They had a Taiko drum(?) soundtrack, but not battle noises. I always appreciated that and the fact the the little ships moved like Newton would have them move, instead of like WWII aircraft (Star Wars, I'm looking at you...).

I'll risk being That Guy... IIRC the rather bleak Battlestar Galactica series from the 2000s didn't dub "pew pews" and engine noises and explosions on the space battles. They had a Taiko drum(?) soundtrack, but not battle noises. I always appreciated that and the fact the the little ships moved like Newton would have them move, instead of like WWII aircraft (Star Wars, I'm looking at you...).
Hey, what could be more true-to-life than a random soundtrack, scored to the action, in outer space? ;)

I say this as a soundtrack writer.

Then again, what could be more true-to-life than outer space battles, space vehicles exceeding the speed of light, hanging out with beings from distant galaxies, etc?

The imagination makes it all a lot of fun! And it really is interesting to see how different creative teams deal with the challenges.

TlI have never been in outer space to know if you can hear things out there, as most people never have. They are making it related to what we know.

For whatever reason I have no ambition to watch the new ST. I am making my way through the Picard series. I really like the next generation. I used to watch that with my mom years ago. That brings back memories of her. The newer stuff just seems to lose something for me. I don't find the newer stuff as creative. It seems that Hollywood has lost it's creative side and is pumping out more remakes and I am over that. They keep remaking things that don't need a remake.

Whenever two ships collide or whenever a photon torpedo hits an eneny ship there's a loud and very audible explosion!

But there's no air in outer space to transmit soundwaves. There should be no sound.

Makes the show more exciting, which is probably why things are so noisy in noiseless space.

But still...

Really good series, BTW.

We're really enjoying it!

The New show is great and the final season of "Picard" is fantastic. The remake of 'Lost in Space' on Netflix is fantastic as is 'Love, Death and Robots'(Netflix).

and to further burst the reality bubble .. the firey explosions couldn't occour either .. insuffucient air .. saw this at a science museum .. poking holes in all the Sci Fi .. but the thing folks miss ... .it's science FICTION ... so the impossible is always possible .... the same realm my artistry looms in ... a delightfully delusional world of ceativity

Back