I Owe My New Obsession to Geese - These Are My Pokemon - Red Bear Picks

jfb

Plank Owner
Good evening kids.

After a recent trip to land of lumber insanity, Pizza King, double banging Ricker's Fountain Cherry Limeade with chewy ice, and ultra-sonic hospitality...INDI-FUGGIN-ANA!!! I came back with a new obsession thanks to my roomy, Geese "The Piece"...this is his new name btw. Red Bear Picks.

Right now my favorite is probably the "Style No. 9" in Extra Heavy, with the holes, normal bevel, in any color I can get. I also really like the "Big Jazzer" in the same options. I am pretty much buying anything that looks cool to try out a bunch. I have had fun buying a number of these up and trying some different ones. I believe I have found my new pick of ultimateness!!!

Tell them Jesse sent you!!!

Here's my latest two orders which both came in today.

photo+4.JPG

photo+5.JPG

Last edited:
I'll have to try these. I've been pretty consistent with my pick use, but every once in a while I get a wild hair and try something new. I've got a solid silver pick a friend that was trying to get into making jewelry gave me. It's fun for a change. I've been using just fingers a lot lately, and jumping to something as solid as those Red Bears is a big change.

Cool, Jesse!

I will have to try some of these out! I've been experimenting a LOT with picks lately.

Thanks for the mention, Jesse. These picks have ended the search for picks for me. Now I have a tennis ball tin full of picks that I probably won't use (soon to show up on the Pay It Forward thread).

You guys have to quite talking about Indiana and Pizza King. I get incredibly home sick every time I see it.

Right there with ya, Jesse. Geese loaned one to me when we were rockin'out and it was awesome! Anymore, my picks have to be blue so I can keep up the accumulation of magic mojo dust on Mr. Clean. :biggrin:

You guys have to quite talking about Indiana and Pizza King. I get incredibly home sick every time I see it.
Where are ya from, Jimi?

Actually never heard of Rickers. Have heard of Frickers but never had it.

I have cravings for pizza King though. It's still my favorite pizza.

Are these the picks that are like $476.98 each? :laugh:

Why so much love? What makes them so special?

Are these the picks that are like $476.98 each? :laugh:

Why so much love? What makes them so special?

Hard to describe what makes them special. You're going to have to try them to see what it is. I think I know someone in your area who has a couple *wink, wink* :hello:

I have been wanting to get one of these $25 picks for a while but they are never ever in stock so I gave up. I know Dweezil Zappa loves them.

Hard to describe what makes them special. You're going to have to try them to see what it is. I think I know someone in your area who has a couple *wink, wink* :hello:
I'll give 'em a shot when I molest your pretty, new PS:rofl:

I've gone to the Red Bear site often, and they're always sold out. I don't understand their business model, they won't let you place orders. It's catch as catch can. I guess you can do business like that if you don't give a rat's behind about making life easy for your suck....er...customers. ;)

Well, they don't need to, the demand is there.. Good for them.

So I decided to check out a Blue Chip pick. I've heard great things about them, and figured I'd place a test order, try out the Jazz III size, 1.25 mm thick, see if I like them. Figured if they're good enough for Cody Kilby...

They're made of some kind of unobtanium composite material, while the Red Bears are made of an artificially created material similar to turtle shell. According to the mag review I was able to find, they are supposed to have a little more high end snap. The review said if you leave them in your jeans in the washing machine (which I am often guilty of) they don't die, and they don't curl from moisture. So there's that. Red Bear says leaving one of theirs in your pocket in the washer is as good as killing it.

The Blue Chips also are said to need no maintenance while the Red Bear has to be polished and treated occasionally, which...hey, it's a pick. Don't make me maintain a pick. I have enough stuff to maintain.

There were a few models that looked like they'd work for me. But I only sprung for one. If I like it, I'll get more.

Last edited:
Back