How Long You Been Playing?

Started playing when I was 16 or 17 and had 13 years of practicing, rehearsing and playing live in a couple of bands. When I was 30 my band was no more due to job / life reasons and my interest in guitar decreased slowly but steadily. I was so used to play with a live band and write songs to be played in front of a crowd that just sitting at my desktop playing alone was not very exciting. By the time I was 38- 39 years old I had stopped playing guitar altogether, and kept all of them in their case until march 2020, when I was 43...and COVID came and it was so positive for me in this very specific regard. Suddenly I had all the time you could imagine on my hands so I brought back my guitars and discovered all this world I had been missing...DAWs, plugins, Guitar Pro files...not that they were new by any means, but I had not put any effort in working with them until that moment.

And the flame ignited again and here I am, playing as many hours as my daily duties allow me, much wiser and thoughtful about the way I play, never-ending chasing that 27 year old version of me who would practice 4 o 5 hours per day and was able to flawlessly perform those fast solos …but having the moment of my life because it's so damn fun!

TLDR; 30 years but with a long hiatus in between

Last edited:
Started when I was 14 and been playing 48 years! You can do the math = old fart;)... Made a living good enough that I didn't need a real job for 10 years until getting married and settling down and joining the corporate world = yuk...... (not the married part.... oops)

Last edited:
I started on bass guitar in 1969. Played bass in bands pretty much full time from 1974 through 1982. Didn't touch it from 1983 until 1993.

Didn't get my first guitar until around 1997 but progress was very, very slow due to the very long hours I was working for years and years.

I could go on and on with details but it's safe to say it's been a long, slow climb to get to where I am today. And that's not saying much!!

No photo description available.

I’ve played since 1972. Not well, but I’ve made it work. As I knock on the door of 70, the fingers don’t cooperate as much as I’d like.
Nearly the same here. Also knocking on 70 but started in 1966 on a nylon string acoustic. Unfortunately most of those years any guitar was barely picked up. So it's not the years it's the hours, especially the hours of taking it seriously.

Got back into it during Covid and really wish that the joints worked like they did long ago but I'm better now than ever before.

Been playing since 1972... Wanted to start in 1970 but some asshat music teacher convinced my parents that my 8 year old fingers needed to grow a bit first and I should start on the accordion, so my dad told me if I played the accordion and practiced for two years he'd buy me a guitar then. I still hate the fucking accordion. Played in a lot of bands over the years, usually more than one at a time, but there's a core group of four other guys I've been playing steady with since 1978, and we're still at it today; we get together a couple times a month to gig or just jam. They're the best buds anyone could ask for. They're my brothers.

Music? About 40 years as a formally trained jazz trombonist and vocalist. Guitar? About 10. Looking back, I wish I had one in my hands as early as I started trombone, but that horn literally took me around the world. Haven’t picked up the horn in many years, though. Life, work, and kid commitments made band commitments impossible, which is why the guitar works so well for me now.

Back