Hollowbody II Color?

super64

Hi Guys,
I bought a Hollowbody II in the Honey finish at Guitar Center about a month ago. I decided to return it and upgrade to a 10-Top, as the Honey I had was nowhere near as pretty as the 10-Tops I already own. They don't have any in stock in the lighter colors, so I have to order one.

Even though I want one of the standard colors, it seems that the darker colors mask the grain/flame.'s beauty I have a '14 DGT 10-Top in Aquableux and a 2008 Cu24 10-Top in Vintage Natural Burst. Both are flippin' gorgeous!

However, I've seen a Hollowbody II Non 10 Top in Tortoise Shell, and a Red Tiger Semi-Hollow Body Non Ten Top, and the only way to see the grain was to shine a flashlight on it or take it outside.

My questions are: 1) Does PRS finish the 10-Tops differently to ensure a more visible flame/grain, or is it dependent on the color only? The studio photos on GC Platinum as well as on the PRS site appear very different in person.

2) Are there any plans to offer any special colors on HBIIs before year's end? I'd hate to miss out on any surprise specials! I'd LOVE a Lemondrop HBII, but I don't even know if I'll be able to order one through GC.

I know there are lots of opinions about GC, so please be gentle. I traded in a Gibson LP and cash for the PRS, so I'm kind of over a barrel here.

Getting the PRS guitar of my dreams has not been easy at GC, but I've got 4 grand sitting on account there, and there seems to be some hurtles that the store I bought it from can't seem to work around, so I returned it to another GC.

I know the guy at the GC where I returned the guitar, and he's confident that we can get me the perfect PRS. I'm hopeful, but it still seems more uncertain than I'd like it to be.

3) At the PRS site, there are two pics at the top of the Hollowbody II. Can anyone tell me what those (might or might not be the same color) are?

All the Best,
Brian in Colorado

Thanks in Advance,
Brian in Colorado

1. PRS doesn't finish the 10 tops differently. They use the very same finishes as the standard tops. Additional finishes are, however, available on Artist Package models.

2. Every so often there are special dealer runs and "sprayer's choice" colors, but they can't be special ordered. The order from GC will be only the standard finishes available or the Artist Package finishes.

If you don't like the darker finishes - their transparency varies because every piece of wood absorbs color differently - then the obvious solution is to simply order the guitar in a lighter color!

As Les says, every piece of wood takes stain differently. Neither PRS nor GC is going to guarantee the depth of the color of the prettiness of the grain on a core model.

The color of tht HBII on this page http://www.prsguitars.com/hollowbody2/ is blood orange - as seen and identified in the color selection chart at the bottom of the page.

You can get the Livingston Lemondrop finish in the Artist Package. You will get an Artist grade top, which is better than a 10 top. That should take away your concerns for the quality of the grain in the top. I believe you will be Happy! You have chosen an excellent instrument. I have an HBII Artist Package and it is off the charts! Enjoy the wait, it will be worth it.

Thank so much for your thoughtful replies.

It does seem that the Artist Package is the way to go. The MAP for the HBII is $4199. The MAP for the 10-Top is another $1200.00 for a total of $5399.00 The MAP for the HBII Artist Package is $5599!

Am I missing something? If this information is accurate, why would I order a 10-Top when I could have the Artist Package for $200 more?

Thanks Again,
Brian

You can get the Livingston Lemondrop finish in the Artist Package. You will get an Artist grade top, which is better than a 10 top. That should take away your concerns for the quality of the grain in the top. I believe you will be Happy! You have chosen an excellent instrument. I have an HBII Artist Package and it is off the charts! Enjoy the wait, it will be worth it.

Right On, Audie!

Thank so much for your thoughtful replies.

It does seem that the Artist Package is the way to go. The MAP for the HBII is $4199. The MAP for the 10-Top is another $1200.00 for a total of $5399.00 The MAP for the HBII Artist Package is $5599!

Am I missing something? If this information is accurate, why would I order a 10-Top when I could have the Artist Package for $200 more?

Thanks Again,
Brian

The HB II ten top option price is doubled because the HB II has a maple top and back and you are paying for both sides to be 10's. So yes, the Artist Package is the way to go, definitely in this circumstance anyway. So now, you can choose hardware color, fingerboard and veneer for nothing extra. That is what makes the Artist Package option so sweet for the HBII. You are a new member, so you may not be aware that we are not allowed to discuss the price of new instruments on the forum. No worries. Go order that Livingston Lemondrop HBII! And post pics when it arrives!!!

Last edited:
Another good thing about the Artist Package, besides the upgraded decor on the guitar, is that it comes with a nicer case, too. Instead of the tolex, that scuffs and peels easily, you get a fabric that resists those scrapes much better, and doesn't get those rips and tears that tolex does.

Thanks Again for all of your help with this. I called my GC rep and ordered a PRS Hollowbody II Artist Package in Livingston Lemondrop.
I specified nickel hardware with a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard and veneer headstock.
I will get confirmation later this week.
Since I like the mahogany necks on my DGT and Cu24, is there something I'm missing out on by not choosing the Artist Maple or East Indian Rosewood neck over the select mahogany neck?
I'm new to guitar, but I've played drums professionally for most of my adult life, until I decided I really needed a 401K and health insurance . I still play my Sonor Sonorlite and Ludwig Classic drums regularly,
Because I don't have time for the band thing, I decided i needed another creative endeavor. I don't think there is another brand of guitar that feels as instantly comfortable to play than a PRS!

All the Best,
Brian

Order Confirmed!

Right On, Audie!

I got order confirmation Yesterday! I'm getting a PRS Hollowbody II Artist Package with Nickel hardware, Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard and Veneer headstock on Select Mahogany neck, "11" Top and Back finshed in Livingston Lemon Drop!:rock:

Now the Five Month wait begins!

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited:
Great choice!

I don't think you're missing out on anything with the mahogany neck - generally, they're my favorite on a PRS, too. With the RW neck, you get a little more lower midrange, but that tends to make the guitar sound a little scooped, which some folks love, and some don't. I like it a lot, but then I like pretty much everything.

The maple neck will tend to make pick attack a little snappier, but again, it's an acquired taste. I've had a few PRSes with maple necks, and they're cool, too.

Again, horses for courses!

Last edited:
Howdy!

Is there a way to find out from PRS the status of an order? I don't want to be a pita, but it's harder waiting, when you have no idea of when the wait will end.

Thanks,
Brian

Hate to say it but you are probably going to have to suck it up. Artist packages are averaging 5 months these days. A friend of mine ordered one on June 27 and he is still waiting. We always thought he may see it by Thanksgiving at best. I hear they do orders in cycles so they most likely have not even started it yet. It is literally still a twinkle in your eye!;)

Thanks, Audie!

I was in for the long haul when I ordered it. I had hoped there would be some kind of confirmation; like "Hey, we have your order in our cue, so don't start whining like a baby until six months have elapsed" JK

It's all good!

I have my Natural Burst 2008 Custom 24 at PTC for a complete refinish. I emailed Matt King for an update at 1:24 PM and got a reply at 2:08 PM that it had been disassembled and stripped and was weeks away from completion!
Incredible! :)

And I have my Aquableux DGT and my Fender Shawbucker Strat to keep me company until then...

Have a Great Day,
Brian

Back