Hiking Shoes/Boots

I started with Columbia. They were the most comfortable hiking boots I've ever owned. Very soft soles. Felt like wearing basketball shoes. GOOD ones. But soft soles don't last if you hike a lot on harder surfaces. They did last 5 years before they were relegated to mowing shoes. The soles wore smooth to where they didn't have enough traction to hike.

Then I bought some Merrell's (Moabs). They have a much heavier sole, but are still good comfortable and have been extremely long lasting. Mine are over 5 years old and look new.

I got a pair of Keen's right after getting the Merrells. My Merrells are low top. My Keens are high top hiking boots. They are VERY comfortable, again like basketball shoes. They have a sole that is not super soft, like the Columbia's I had, but also not stiff at all. They are great shoes.

I also have a pair of Columbia trail runners that are simply the best when you don't need or want a heavier shoe. They are like wearing house slippers. SUPER comfortable, SUPER light, etc. They are basically running shoes with a sole with tread for "offroad." I wear these the most during summer and unless doing more serious hiking.

I think the ones you buy should be determined by the primary use. If you hike on soft trails, get the softest soles. If you hike on hard sharp rocks, gravel, etc, get stiffer soles. Match tread to surface use as well. Think of them like tires and matching them to your car, and use. Do you want mudders or V rated 50s?

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a few pairs of Merrell and they all developed the ‘Merrell squeak’.

Salomon every time for me now. They fit my feet nicely and there’s a huge choice too.

Why not...there's one in here for Bikes...:p:p:p

I am a big fan of outdoor hiking...mostly mountainous areas. Smokies (whenever possible), West Virginia, Southern Pennsylvania (Michauex???), anything Appalachia, etc...and I have a Wide-Fat foot...
kinda like the old CE-22 necks I adore.

I currently wear my Keens the most, but Merrells are a close second. Columbias...not bad either for the money...
What's your preference, and why???
I have Merrells. Love them

I have only gone hiking two times in my life, and both of them, I was wearing my air jordans sneakers. This is not the best idea I have ever had because they slip. I should have expected that considering they are walking shoes, not hiking shoes. My father, however, hikes a lot in his free time. Now he has a pair of Keens. He also had Merrells in the past but said then Keens are more of his liking and comfort. So I guess they would fit you only if you have different feet compared to my dad. You should try them to make an opinion for yourself.

I wear Merrell hiking boots about 100% of the time. You see, I have a weird 'split' tear of a tendon in one of my ankles that snaps (like a kinda loud fingersnap) every time I take a step. Saw a couple of very good doctors and both basically said there was nothing to do, maybe surgery would help but probably not. One told me to wear a walking boot for a couple of months and do a bunch of PT but that was literally two days before all the lockdowns began and I dropped the walking boot and just started wearing the hiking boots all the time for extra ankle support. Non-traditional use but they're more comfortable than my sneakers were so it's all good. Just got a fresh pair of them for Xmas, and a bunch of nice wool socks. Turns out that when you're old and hard to shop for a pair of new shoes and some socks makes for a fine Xmas.

I don’t hike, but here in snowy, icy Erie PA, it’s Keens every day until spring arrives!

My advice is to simply never, ever leave the house when it's below 65 degrees out. Saves a lot of wear and tear on everything.

"You don't even leave the house when it's warmer than 65."

"Because then it's too hot to go outside. Obviously!"

Thanks, Nice F Holes...or just Holes for short, or "F" ;):D:D:D... the Lone Peaks look really nice, love ankle support...will do.

{ } (The artist formerly known as Nice F Holes)

The Lone Peaks are awesome. They've been out for a long time and are Altra's core trail shoe. Just be careful, giving your feet room to breathe is addictive and makes it hard to go back to "normal" shoes.

I probably should have mentioned they are Zero Drop - I don't know if you noticed that or not. There's no raised heel so it feels lower to the ground. There's still normal padding and everything but you feel more connected to the ground. It's good and sneakers are generally trending in that direction these days. But if you don't like it Altra has a great return policy.

The shoes must be sturdy so that they don't come apart or fall apart at the most crucial moment. After all, you can be many kilometers away from civilization, and a torn shoe can ruin your entire trip. Secondly, it must be waterproof, because your health and comfort depend on it. Wet boots can rub your feet, which will cause discomfort. Third, it must be comfortable and not bring discomfort, to sit well on foot, but not too tight. Besides hiking shoes, I love my yeezys, and they are great for comfort and long-distance walking. I suggest you have several pairs for less wear and tear!

Last edited:
I hike 300+ days a year. No really, a couple miles in the woods ever day, minimum. After trying many brands, for light hikers, I’m a devoted Keen guy. I’m between heavier boots right now, my beat pair are Vasques but I did like them as much as my previous pair which were the same boot, may switch it up.

Nike has great sneaker options for men and women that I like a lot. I have been using this brand for a long time to get quality and beautiful sneakers. Some of my favorites are air jordans sneakers which you can buy even not from official sources, and they are good enough. I have already tested this, so I know what I am talking about. Nike is my favorite brand, and now they have announced the release of a new product that will capture the attention of absolutely everyone. I am really looking forward to it. I want these sneakers already!)

Back