Hi Z or JFET interface?

Kendall

Hi, umm.. what's the difference between Hi Z and JFET input on an audio interface? I'm shopping for different models that I can record my guitar direct on. Options include audient id14, audient evo 4, UAD Apollo Solo, etc. I was also looking at the moto m2 but it does not mention JFET. It does say HI Z input though. Confused. Help.

Hi-Z refers to an input circuit that matches “instrument level” signals that are unamplified vs. line level signals that are low impedance and are already amplified. What really matters is whether you connect instrument level signals to high Z inputs (matched) or some other type of low level input (mismatched). Plugging a line level signal into a high Z input on a preamp, for example, could over-clip or even damage the preamp circuit with overt levels of gain.

A FET input uses a “field effect transistor—FET” to boost an instrument signal, so it’s a hotter input to the first triode in a tube amp, for example. See certain Dumble-type amps that have a FET input jack, like the Bludodrive from Bludotone.

Last edited:
Hi-Z refers to an input circuit that matches “instrument level” signals that are unamplified vs. line level signals that are low impedance and are already amplified. What really matters is whether you connect instrument level signals to high Z inputs (matched) or some other type of low level input (mismatched). Plugging a line level signal into a high Z input on a preamp, for example, could over-clip or even damage the preamp circuit with overt levels of gain.

A FET input uses a “field effect transistor—FET” to boost an instrument signal, so it’s a hotter input to the first triode in a tube amp, for example. See certain Dumble-type amps that have a FET input jack, like the Bludodrive from Bludotone.
Thanks a lot, slowly starting to understand this

Back