Votes: 1 25.0%
  • HDRX only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both- they are different tones

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

nussbajh

So this is how I change away from “New Member”
I currently have, and love, an HXDA 30 combo. I am looking to upgrade to a head and half stack, but the HDRX has entered the scene and I’m wondering if I should move towards obtaining both. Does anyone know how different the tone is between the HDRX and the HXDA? I imagine there is some similarity, especially if you have all switches on the HXDA set to HX. Thoughts?

I currently have, and love, an HXDA 30 combo. I am looking to upgrade to a head and half stack, but the HDRX has entered the scene and I’m wondering if I should move towards obtaining both. Does anyone know how different the tone is between the HDRX and the HXDA? I imagine there is some similarity, especially if you have all switches on the HXDA set to HX. Thoughts?
The video demos sound quite different to me, even with the switches in the HX position on the HXDA. Like you, I'm an HXDA player. I love my HXDA.

This isn't to say the HDRX isn't a very good amp - it sounds very much like it is. But it's a different type of amp, since the Hendrix amp was highly modded back in the day. I'd like to have both amps at some point, but I'd never sell my HXDA. It's a classic.

I don’t have any of the recent amps, but will throw in some thoughts on one of the ones you’re discussing.

I’m with Les on all things HXDA. Mine are both 50 watters, and I can’t imagine not having one available now. In my opinion, they’re the most accurate to the old Plexi tones out there. No doubt, the HXDA is its own thing, is a sound that I searched for a long time, and is securely ensconced in my music room.

Listening to the demos on the newer amps, both HX and HDRX, the tones sound varied enough that I’d like to try them side by side with the HXDA, just to see what the differences and similarities might be. They could certainly earn an add!

HXDA for sure, though. BTW, both of mine were originally heads, but I bought a combo cab and made one a 1x12 combo (sold the head cab to recoup my funds). The other is a paisley head that’ll remain stock. You might do the same if you want to go head/cab.

Last edited:
Back