Handle with care - d'oh

I have a number of small dings on my guitars. Most people cant see them unless they get really close. To be honest, I don't plan on selling any of them, so I don't worry about them. I get more annoyed with fret buzz, even if you cant hear the buzzing with the amp turned on.

My most prized PRS is the most beat up. She'll be 20 next year. Some dings are from similar stories here, where I could've been more careful.... Others I have no recollection. Honestly, the only one I truly remember how, is the first ding. Here's the thing, you can worry about every little thing and get it fixed(and continue to worry) or you can play the hell out of it, enjoy and love her for all she has to give you and not think about the imperfections. I'm not saying be reckless and I'm not say those who baby don't love and enjoy their guitars just as much. I just prefer to take care of the guitar as best I can but not worry or freak out every time I touch it or set it down. Give it a month, if it bugs you, get it fixed.

Black sharpie.
Turn it over and PLAY that thing!

Exactly what I did after I stopped cursing my idiocy. Lucky its black I guess.

Don't beat yourself up, LPs aren't bound on the back, either. That ding was destiny, with or without binding on the top or neck!

Admittedly, I'm that guy who'd send it to the PTC for a repair. Heck, I'd have a ding on a car bumped out, too.

What about the LP Custom? I have a LP copy, my first guitar, that is bound front and back. I just always assumed Gibson's were. Disappointing if not.

I live in the UK so sadly PTC isn't really an option for me. But if I was state side, I probably would consider it.

When it's old, it's just called a patina.

Not a fan unfortunately - not even on a old Chevy that they clear over on Fast n' Loud. Don't get me wrong, it looks cool - just on other peoples stuff.

I was only mad for about half an hour. Mainly because its my newest guitar (Sept 2014) and I haven't quite finished paying for it. And also I've clearly learnt nothing since the early 2000s when my LP Studio had a similar run in with the corner of my Marshall footswitch. Oh well.

I knew I could count on you guys to make me feel better and share my pain - keep 'em coming.

My most prized PRS is the most beat up. She'll be 20 next year. Some dings are from similar stories here, where I could've been more careful.... Others I have no recollection. Honestly, the only one I truly remember how, is the first ding. Here's the thing, you can worry about every little thing and get it fixed(and continue to worry) or you can play the hell out of it, enjoy and love her for all she has to give you and not think about the imperfections. I'm not saying be reckless and I'm not say those who baby don't love and enjoy their guitars just as much. I just prefer to take care of the guitar as best I can but not worry or freak out every time I touch it or set it down. Give it a month, if it bugs you, get it fixed.

Amen!

Table to concrete floor....
7121518927_0752765bec_b.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it looks cool - just on other peoples stuff.

That's how I feel about my PRSes, too. But 50 years down the road, the old Gibby might look a little weird if it still looked like a case queen. So there's that.

If it makes you feel any better, I was at Sam Ash a few weeks back, and some guy just set down a $3500 Gibson acoustic he was playing on a stand. Started playing a different one, turned around and knocked it right off the stand. The headstock broke clean off at the first set of tuners. It was a pretty sickening sight.

At a show a couple months ago, after our set, I put my SE Custom 24 in its gig bag, then took care of a few other things, came back and slung my gig back over my shoulder... it was unzipped from top to bottom. Guitar hit the floor totally vertical, right on the pointy part of the headstock, and it hit HARD. Thank goodness for a carpeted stage, nothing more than a very, very small rub on the point of the headstock. I honestly thought I probably broke the neck or the headstock clean off when I heard it hit the floor.

It's a bad feeling when you hurt one guitar with another. I've done that before.

String winders are dangerous. I got a little too aggressive with one on the low E of my HBII and knocked a chunk of finish right down to the bare wood.

Back when I had a CU24, I was laying on the couch and playing. Neck slipped out of my hand and the headstock smacked the edge of our glass coffee table.

I can't for the life of me remember how I did this one :iamconfused::

For some unknown reason, I was comparing the size of a Tele bridge pickup to the P-90 on my SE Soapbar II. Dropped the dang pickup on the top, putting two dents in it. :rolleyes:

That ding by the low E is pretty common...and none of us know how it happens :p

I got my first new guitar (not a PRS) in 1983. It was black with a black pick guard, covers, and knobs. It was shiny and perfect. I don't polish my guitars or keep them in the cases, but I don't leave them leaning on coffee tables, either.
My drummer used to make fun of my adoration of this guitar, and nicknamed it "Baby".
I had taken the stock strap buttons off and put Dunlop strap locks on it.
One day at practice, I heard pop and looked down, and right at the edge of the strap button, a piece of finish about the size of a fingernail had popped off, leaving bare wood under it.
I was crestfallen. I stared at it for a few seconds, while my drummer laughed. Then we got on with practice. I've gotten lots of little dings in it and rivet worming on the back over the years, just from playing it onstage, loading in and out. It's a tool.

This is what happens to a 59 year old guitar when you leave the strap under it. (it came to me like this)
juniorwound.jpg

And THIS is patina...
juniorpatina2.jpg

Dings are a part of a guitars life, unfortunately. I never like the first one, but it's usually inevitable. None of my current guitars have any real dings on the front (knock on wood). But they do have little dings and buckle rash on the back. With of course plenty of pick marks and swirls on the front though :D.

I did actually ding my Sandstorm SC58 a few months back, but due to a finish issue on the clearcoat during a setup with my tech it went to the PTC for a refin. So the ding is gone now and I'm relieved. So it had one, now it doesn't lol.

It's been said that you shouldn't eat before you go to bed. This morning, I dreamt that I was walking with my ME1 and I fell with the guitar un-cased in the middle of the street. I guess I have great athletic ability because I placed the guitar on the tail strap button instead of anywhere else.

I dunno. I can sort of understand a relic on a Fender or Gibson, guitars that were actually around in the same form 50 years ago. But on a PRS that could not possibly appear to be more than 30 years old, and especially a 408 or DGT, guitars that were only released a few years ago, the whole thing just seems too farfetched.

My mind immediately screams "Poser!"

My son bought a '64 Melody Maker for some sessions while he was in NY, and the guitar has some serious wear. But it looks right because it is real.

Back