Handle with care - d'oh

starscream67

So I just chipped my PRS SC245 - the most expensive guitar I own - by bumping it into another guitar:

VbLYZBl.png

I guess damage is inevitable if you ever want to play these things, but that doesn't make me any less annoyed. The first ding is always the worst. Kinda regret not getting a bound LP now.

How road worn (or couch worn) are everyone else's guitars?

Share your pain?

Last edited:
I've done it and I know how you feel. I was changing strings with an SC sitting on my lap and it slid off and hit another guitar next to me on the couch. Chipped the edge like yours but on the front. I sat there thinking how I should have changed the strings on the table on a towel and all the things that would have prevented the chip. Then I got over it and I spot painted the chip with car touch up paint that was close and I played the thing. :)

We've all been there!

Here's the good news: the PRS PTC routinely fixes dings like that. So if it bothers you, send them a pic and they'll quote you a price on the repair. They do an absolutely amazing job. The guitar will come out looking new again.

I don't worry over my guitars the way I used to, I know that the PTC has my back!

While changing the bridge pickup height on my DGT gold top I went to far and the pickup ring popped out. Struggling to get it back the screwdriver slip out of the grooves in the screw and took a section of the gold paint off just behind the pickup. Usually I am not too fussed about dings and marks, but this one really got to me. I mean, this guitar is special to me. Funny that I did not even notice it anymore after two weeks...

Two days after I got my Brent Mason sig (my first new and un-dinged PRS), i got into a fight with it over the installation of a tremolo. He didn't want to let go of the trem spring that had to be moved. I had to resort to tools to try and pry that sucker out. made a nice long dent on the back (no chipping, thankfully). Afterward I tried installing the spring in the new position. Resorted to blunt force trauma, and the bridge popped out of the knife-edge/6-screws connection that I hear so much about being vulnerable. Man, my heart skipped a beat.

Morale of the story: accidents will happen. Sometimes they are caused more by stupidity and impatience than clumsiness.

That ding ain't too bad - let it sit for a while. You can always tell people "you should have seen the OTHER guitar"...

Also: LOL @ "couch worn" :)

I had a string winder on low E tuner. I was spinning it because it seems tight and I wanted to see if there was a hard spot. Now I have marks on the side of the headstock. I don't normally use a string winder as it's up to pitch in less than one turn. But now my beautiful cu24 is marred. Dammit!

more than once I've caused injury. It sucks but they're not made to remain in their original packaging. Play on!

After years of envying mine, my dad finally bought a 513. He pulled it out of the case and set it on his lap, reached across his desk, and immediately knocked a pair of scissors point first onto the guitar. Sh!t happens. Now you won't be so concerned about the next ding. :wave:

Oh jeez, my guitars all have dings and chunks missing. Might be easier to tell you about the one that doesn't.

The first ding is always the worst. Kinda regret not getting a bound LP now.

Don't beat yourself up, LPs aren't bound on the back, either. That ding was destiny, with or without binding on the top or neck!

Admittedly, I'm that guy who'd send it to the PTC for a repair. Heck, I'd have a ding on a car bumped out, too.

My Cu24 took two deep dings on the top, right in he middle of the flame. One of my Ultimate Support stands - which ended up being the ultimate failed support - collapsed on stage during setup. It fell forward but landed, remarkably flat, but bounced on top of the right angle Neutrik plug. It bounced twice leaving two perfect divots the finish and into the wood. I filled them with super glue but there's no hiding it. It still hurts thinking about it two years later.
cu24-wound.jpg

Last edited:
Dude, easy fix - belt sand with coarse sandpaper, that ding will be gone in 15-20 seconds. Piece of cake! :flute:

It happens. We've all done it - I dropped a pair of forceps onto the face of an acoustic years ago. Bugged the hell out of me - I even took it to be looked at for a repair and was told a couple times not to worry about it. The wood wasn't cracked, so there was really nothing to worry about. Now? Well, I hadn't thought about that ding in several weeks until this thread. The last time I thought about it? Another thread like this.

My Santana is my beater so it has plenty of character. My Les Paul is my baby and I try to take good care of it but when I was adjusting the tail piece height one day I dropped a screw driver and dented the top. No paint chips thankfully but I felt terrible. I've long forgotten about it though. Hardly noticeable. And now that I've played it plenty there are buckle marks stating to show on the back and I don't care. It adds character and I've realized that it won't be worth anymore 20 or 30 years from now than when I bought it. It's not a limited edition or something special other than my first ever lp.

At the end of the day they are made to be plaYed and tHings will happen. Unless it's a one of a kind collectible don't worry about it.

Here's mine.

20150228_201808_zpsnhradliw.jpg

Really p!ssed me off because I was being extra careful when I set it on a table to pick up another guitar. I then proceeded to bump into it with the other guitar.

I dinged a project I was working on that made me almost as mad. I was waiting to buy a PRS at EXP on year but I was getting antsy so I decided to refinish a cheap Epi to keep me occupied.

So after weeks of sanding off the old sunburst, learning to glue on a veneer, staining, and weeks of trying to get the lacquer just right I was gently tapping in a tali piece post when the head of the hammer came off and landed in on top.

Huge ding. Dejected. Speechless. So I started all over again but I bought my CU22 at EXP and didn't care that I did a crappy job the 2nd go-round.

2012-12-02_20-38-21_624_zpsa6yk0eor.jpg

I guess my advice is... buy another guitar. You know you want to anyway. :laugh:

My first string change after I'd gotten my '02 Tremonti back from the PTC (as I bought it used and wanted them to buff out the surface scratches on the front), I forgot to hold the bridge when I clipped the last string and it slid all the way down the front.

It's a bad feeling when you hurt one guitar with another. I've done that before.

I had a string winder on low E tuner. I was spinning it because it seems tight and I wanted to see if there was a hard spot. Now I have marks on the side of the headstock. I don't normally use a string winder as it's up to pitch in less than one turn. But now my beautiful cu24 is marred. Dammit!

String winders are dangerous. I got a little too aggressive with one on the low E of my HBII and knocked a chunk of finish right down to the bare wood.

Back when I had a CU24, I was laying on the couch and playing. Neck slipped out of my hand and the headstock smacked the edge of our glass coffee table.

I can't for the life of me remember how I did this one :iamconfused::

For some unknown reason, I was comparing the size of a Tele bridge pickup to the P-90 on my SE Soapbar II. Dropped the dang pickup on the top, putting two dents in it. :rolleyes:

When it's new, it's an upsetting ding.

When it's old, it's just called a patina. Here's my '65 SG Special. I made that patina from new. Only took 50 years...

Back