Guitar choice: lost, to say the least

EricS

Hi to All,

I'm neither a good guitar player (but enjoy myself) nor very familiar with PRS guitars, hence my questions.

Without having tested the guitars I find the differences between all the PRS guitars difficult to understand. Please help!

I'm looking for:

. a solid body
. traditional PRS body look (Custom 22, P22 etc)
. typical "striped" aspect on the body wood
. birds on the fret board
. no tremolo
. 22 frets

I play classic rock and blues.

Please help me funnel my options.

Thanks a lot!

Sounds like you've described a Custom 22. If you want a piezo, get a P22. Simple. Done.

Thanks guys.
Probably too expensive for my 'talent'. After a bit of research, it seems as if the SE Santana may correspond to what I'm looking for. I'll start a new thread on it as I also have a couple of questions.

The SE Santana is a great choice, but it is a little different from what you described in your first post. It wouldn't be considered a "standard" PRS body shape, and would have a trem.

It's too bad the S2 Custom 22's are only being offered with trems. If they had stoptails it would be exactly what you described. The couple of S2 I've gotten to play were fantastic.

You can find used Custom 22's for pretty cheap. I've seen some non ten tops with birds selling in the 1400$ price range.

Thanks Chris.

I realize that the Santana's are not "standard" body shapes but that's perfectly fine. As a matter of fact I really like the shape of the Santana as well.
Furthermore:
. for the time being, I'm not going to put that type of money (for a Custom 22)
. and there are perhaps too many pickup options with the 22; 3 options with the SE Santana is all I need ;-)

Thanks

I have a 2012 Santana SE in orange. Had to have it when I saw it , and love the way it "feels". Played it for awhile in a blues and classic rock band, and was not totally satisfied with the sound. I suppose few of us really ever are. I had the pots replaced and Seymore Duncan pups installed. ...Wow! Amazing control, versatility, and punch. Had them wired split coil with push/pull knobs. I cannot stress how much difference these upgrades made. The single coil setting at the bridge pup gives me the jangle and bite I had been missing. It is a JB. The neck is a Jazz. Plenty of crunch for blues and all but heaviest rock.

Back