Graph tech string saver saddles anyone?

mixmkr

I like the Tusq XL nuts over bone and blindly would chose them over the PRS nut.

But I've never swapped out saddles for the Graph techs. They boast more sustain among other magical abilities. 50 bucks is an impulse buy for them but that means I gotta change my strings probably...ugh! Lol!

I like the Tusq XL nuts over bone and blindly would chose them over the PRS nut.

But I've never swapped out saddles for the Graph techs. They boast more sustain among other magical abilities. 50 bucks is an impulse buy for them but that means I gotta change my strings probably...ugh! Lol!
I’ve not heard of anybody corroborating that claim. I’d be cautious regarding a possible unwanted change in tone.

I said that before, but I put the set into one of my PRSi and took them off the same day. I hated the change. Dull factory. I still have them somewhere deep under a pile of **** I wasted my hard-earned money on

I put a Graphtech bridge with string saver saddles on a Gretsch. I believe they do seem to help with string breakage as I never broke a string since installing the bridge. To my ears, they seemed to take away a very small amount of high end, but not in a bad way. I also put a Graphtech bridge with metal saddles on my D’angelico excel mini DC. It also increased sustain, so I would say the sustain has more to do with the bridge than the saddles. On the Graphtech website they say the metal saddles retain the 2KHz bite while the string saver saddles do not have the 2KHz bite. I like both bridges. BTW, this is my first post! I ordered the SE HBII Piezo and was waiting to post an introduction once it finally arrives, which should be within 2 weeks.

String saving required isn't with crafted properly saddles.
Yeah...buy. what about the other fairy dust items I mentioned thatGraph-tech boasts....sustain....the black color is bitchin' cool looking....???

But I appreciate your high level luthier quick tip.

I put a Graphtech bridge with string saver saddles on a Gretsch. I believe they do seem to help with string breakage as I never broke a string since installing the bridge. To my ears, they seemed to take away a very small amount of high end, but not in a bad way. I also put a Graphtech bridge with metal saddles on my D’angelico excel mini DC. It also increased sustain, so I would say the sustain has more to do with the bridge than the saddles. On the Graphtech website they say the metal saddles retain the 2KHz bite while the string saver saddles do not have the 2KHz bite. I like both bridges. BTW, this is my first post! I ordered the SE HBII Piezo and was waiting to post an introduction once it finally arrives, which should be within 2 weeks.
Welcome to the fam.
You know we need to see your guitars when you can post pics. (Yeah. Pics rock)

Thanks. How do you post pics on here? Can’t seem to figure it out
Looks like you need an online photo hosting site...many free of course. Then you link to it. I don't keep photos online, so I don't bother. It'd be nice if you can embed them in a message like other forums, but that's another topic.

I also know I shouldn't have put "string saver" in the topic line, even though that's part of the name of the saddles. Reason being is the "string saving" benefit I had no interest in...but rather the saddles seem to be more well known for the 20% typical increase in sustain over metal saddles, a slightly warmer tone (potentially not as harsh) and some other "benefits" like being more slippery for trems and not sticking...blah, blah...

I guess I could go change the thread title, but then we'd have some crazy, unrelated looking posts then! lol! ah..1st world...

Yes. I have a nut and saddles on one of my Les Pauls. The guitar stays in tune very well. The action feels a little stiffer than my other LP, but I am not sure if that is the reason, because it had been modded before I bought it.

PS. I still break strings, like on very other guitar I own.

Looks like you need an online photo hosting site...many free of course. Then you link to it. I don't keep photos online, so I don't bother. It'd be nice if you can embed them in a message like other forums, but that's another topic.

I also know I shouldn't have put "string saver" in the topic line, even though that's part of the name of the saddles. Reason being is the "string saving" benefit I had no interest in...but rather the saddles seem to be more well known for the 20% typical increase in sustain over metal saddles, a slightly warmer tone (potentially not as harsh) and some other "benefits" like being more slippery for trems and not sticking...blah, blah...

I guess I could go change the thread title, but then we'd have some crazy, unrelated looking posts then! lol! ah..1st world...
Thanks. I definitely feel it helped increase sustain and did warm up the tone a little bit. I can’t say what % sustain increased, but I feel more string vibrations through the body and for me it was worth it. The guitar is also very easy to intonate. There was a noticeable weight difference between the Graphtech and stock bridge. The Graphtech a lot lighter, I will look into an online photo hosting site so I can post some pics.

Last edited:
Hopefully I did this correctly. Here are pics of my guitars. The tele is a Warmoth body that me and my son built. He chose all the specs. He was battling depression from getting a bad concussion and was in bed for months without being able to open his eyes. When he started feeling a little better we built the guitar. https://photos.app.goo.gl/yRdoehUNpkkE7tkf9

Last edited:
Yeah...buy. what about the other fairy dust items I mentioned thatGraph-tech boasts....sustain....the black color is bitchin' cool looking....???

But I appreciate your high level luthier quick tip.
I've heard a bunch of people say they sound dull but I didn't want to perpetuate something I don't personally know first hand. What I do know is what I said.

I think I will do a sound comparison with my guitar with the resomax bridge with string savers and then put the original bridge on and post it up here to see what everyone thinks.
Please hold…… a representative will be with you shortly.

I have String Saver saddles on several of my guitars. Never had any issue with them. Any change in tone was easily adjusted for by slight rotations of those round thingies on the face of the amplifier.

I'd assume the use of brass with PRS has a factor vs steel, aluminum, zinc, or whatever. I prefer the way brass warms a tone, add these to a brass block and trem, maybe the tone gets too mellow? On a se trem, maybe pairs better with a little of that plink or zing for lack of a better description.

Back