Got the cart before the horse, but...

ScottM65

After posting a short video link I realize I should have introduced myself. Sorry for getting it backwards.

I'm a reformed college professor, lifelong student of guitar, Pedal Steel enthusiast. Grew up on a farm (about 3000 acres) with a Pedal steel playing dad. He was really good, too. Didn't Know there was any other kind of music besides country until I was 10 years old. Somehow I discovered Jazz through Steely Dan and progressive rock.

...and here I am.

First concert - Conway Twitty in about 1972.

Best,

Scott

Last edited:
Steel is, in fact, a unique and wonderful instrument. Having grown up with that sound engrained in me, I have a very Western swing/traditional country ideal of how it’s supposed to sound. After avoiding playing one for 55 years, it took my dad’s passing about 19 months ago to inspire me to learn. Now I have a million questions I would give anything to ask him. I have so many things I heard him play flying around in my head, it’s SO cool when I happen to stumble onto one of them. Even though I have spent a great deal of my life trying to be a jazz guitarist, right now I’m happy to be addicted to Buck Owens.

I don’t understand how a couple of my very “beginner” level videos on YouTube have around 1000 views. There are so many wrong notes, out of tune notes and chords, and moments where it’s obvious I don’t know what I’m doing. Maybe people are viewing for the laughs. :)

Last edited:
Steel is, in fact, a unique and wonderful instrument.
I used to not think so, but Robert Randolph is the Jimi Hendrix of pedal steel guitar and I saw him on TV and he made that thing SCREAM! Suddenly, it was cool to me after seeing him just rip that thing to shreds on some live concert on either Austin City Limits or PBS. Dude is a bad a$$!!!!!!

For me, he's a pretty drastic variation on the use/style of music and playing. He's great, but not my cup of tea. I have heard he knows and can play the more traditional style, but just doesn't.

There are great players - Buddy Emmons, Curley Chalker, and (more contemporary) Paul Franklin, and so many more who I consider the standard. Just like guitar styles, some like Allan Holdsworth, and others like Joe Pass. Some like B.B. King, and others like Joe Bonamassa. Not sure I have a good one for rock players. Of course, many of us fans like it all.

For me, he's a pretty drastic variation on the use/style of music and playing. He's great, but not my cup of tea. I have heard he knows and can play the more traditional style, but just doesn't.

There are great players - Buddy Emmons, Curley Chalker, and (more contemporary) Paul Franklin, and so many more who I consider the standard. Just like guitar styles, some like Allan Holdsworth, and others like Joe Pass. Some like B.B. King, and others like Joe Bonamassa. Not sure I have a good one for rock players. Of course, many of us fans like it all.
Listen to the Jerry Garcia steel on NRPS Live 1970 - Honkey Tonk Woman

Its Rock and Roll Steel, Jerry was great! Now I've got a hankering to have a Pedal Steel, time to get to work.

BTW do you own a PRS? Do tell :)

Listen to the Jerry Garcia steel on NRPS Live 1970 - Honkey Tonk Woman

Its Rock and Roll Steel, Jerry was great! Now I've got a hankering to have a Pedal Steel, time to get to work.

BTW do you own a PRS? Do tell :)

Check out his YouTube vids, well worth it.

Back