Frigging Airline Grounds Violins

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/28/us/violin-plane-viral-video/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

US Airways wouldn't let Zachary De Pue of Time For Three (and concertmaster of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra) take his $250k+ violin as a carry-on, so when they booted him and his bandmate off the flight, he serenaded the plane from the tarmac.

Slight NSFW language...

US Airways put them on a later flight, but here's the kicker - on the next flight they took, the agents tried to make them check the violin again. This time they had the FAA regulation that backed them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same thing happened to me when I tried to carry on my accordion!

Strangely enough, they let our band's banjo player, our bagpiper, and our digeridooist all carry their instruments on board the plane.

I've never tried to fly with an instrument, but was kicked off because I refused to check my pool cues. They said they could be used as weapons, and they got mad when I questioned them with logic... why would anyone want to use a $1300 cue (or a $400, $200, or even my cheapo $80 jump/break cue) as a weapon when $10 batons exist. The police officer they called because of my "super threatening behavior" happened to be a player himself and totally agreed with me, and told them there's probably nothing to worry about.

I don't know if my incedent helped, but you can carry on pool cues now, but I believe the case has to be duct taped shut.

Flying with an instrument can be infuriating. I flew with Delta for over a decade (often 1st class) and it was never easy - even as a Diamond medallion member.

The tolerance for instruments often varied by airport. The people working at Hawaii's airport were usually helpful often asked that I spread the word regarding their wonderful treatment of my guitar. Atlanta, in my experience, was the worst airport by a long shot; every single time I passed through with a guitar.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;148262 said:
Flying with an instrument can be infuriating. I flew with Delta for over a decade (often 1st class) and it was never easy - even as a Diamond medallion member.
Same here. I always headed for the front and asked if I could store my case in the locker. Often I was turned down. "That will fit in the overhead." "I know, but it will be destroyed." I found a black case/gig bag under your window seat never shows to the attendant. (for smaller instruments)
Being in First helps, but it's no guarantee. Watching some bozo board last with his carryon and push and shove and jump to get the overhead closed. Nothing will survive that.
Minor aside, but I always got on early. A few times the attendant would say, "Is this your bag? Would you mind putting it under your seat so this gentleman can store his bag in the overhead?" "Actually, I would, that's why I got on early so I could have the space for my ONE and ONLY carryon. Maybe if you took YOUR carryon from the space above the first row, he could put his there."
Did you notice flight attendants put their bags in the most needed overhead space, above the bulkhead rows? [/rant]
I actually flew round trips to nowhere to keep my diamond status. The gate attendants had a good laugh.

Years ago...in 1986...I was flying to Seoul, Korea to play at a Hyatt Hotel club for a year. While boarding the Korean airlines 747 for the non-stop flight, I had my prized '78 LP standard in my hand. The stewardess told me I could not bring it on the plane as a carry on and would need to check it as baggage. I refused and walked right past her onto the aircraft. Found my seat, then asked a nice couple sitting at the end of my section where the seats would not recline if I could stash my guitar behind their seats. They had no problem with this and I never heard anything else about it all the way across the pacific. Of course...it's a different world now, but I would NEVER put my guitars in the belly of a plane.

Last edited:
Back