First electric, is this static noise normal?

Liverpool88

Hello,

I have always played acoustic, and finally decided to jump to the electric world, so pardon my ignorance. Really enjoying the experience but I have a problem - after I strum a string or chord, I get this fuzzy weird static noise that is very annoying. It will also stay there even if I'm not playing, unless I mute the strings.

Furthermore, if I put my finger on the bridge, the sound disappears. If I turn the tone knob all the way down, it also disappears (it's an Epiphone Les Paul Special II).

It's this normal due to being an electric or there might be something wrong with my guitar?

This sound: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0I5ZcwuRInc

Thanks for your help
smile.gif

You would be better off asking on an Epiphone or Gibson site, this one is for PRS guitars.

I don't mind trying to help a guy out. I think you could be hearing two different sounds.

"... after I strum a string or chord, I get this fuzzy weird static noise that is very annoying. It will also stay there even if I'm not playing, unless I mute the strings."

If this is the sound in the attached recording, it is a sympathy ringing of a different string than the one you plucked. It is ringing because it has been excited by the vibrations of the lower note being played. Acoustic guitars will do it too. Most of the time these are softer in volume than the original and they can be neglected. If it is loud enough to mess up your songs or recordings you will need to cover the strings with your palm or fingers (dampen the sympathy strings).

"Furthermore, if I put my finger on the bridge, the sound disappears. If I turn the tone knob all the way down, it also disappears (it's an Epiphone Les Paul Special II)."

If this is truly the same sound them you must be dampening the string with your palm like I mentioned above. If it is just a buzzy noise, and when you touch the bridge the buzzy noise disappears, it is usually a grounding issue with the bridge and it could be a weak solder joint. It could also be just noisy EMI (Electro magnetic interference) from florescent lights or a computer screen close by. You should try to eliminate sources of EMI around where you practice and see if it helps. It won't help a sympathy note.

To the other guys point, the Epi LP Special II is a lower end guitar and could be susceptible to grounding issues. You could try to bring in a friends electric and see if it does the same thing as a test. If when you get more proficient or feel an upgrade is needed, the SE line is a great option. :)

First, thanks a lot AP515 for your help and taking the time to be kind and share your knowledge. That helped me a lot! Apologies for posting here, was just looking for expert advice.

Long story short, I fixed it, thanks to the comment about interference.

Unplugged my laptop and most of the noise went away! I was pretty satisfied with this alone but out of curiosity tried unplugging a couple more things... most light had no effect but then turned my aquarium light and pump off (it's quite far away) and it completely disappeared.

I'll live with the aquarium one (or the fish wont)since it's very very faint but I guess I can just unplug the PC when using it or go far away.

Anyway, thanks again AP, that saved me from sending a guitar back! The day I get a really fancy PRS, I'll name it after you =P Cheers!

Glad to help. You don't have to name a PRS after me. Now, on the other hand, your first born son... ;)

Nice job ap!!!! Also have you looked into the hum cancelling device you plug your gear into first then it into the outlet? I here it can help out a lot with electrical interference. Most music stores sell them.

Yeah, if it's electrical interference, it could be two things: RF noise, or "dirty" power. Dirty power can be cleaned up by either an isolating transformer, a power strip with power conditioning, or both. If it's RF noise, you can fix it by playing in a Faraday cage. But mind, you're cell phone won't work in there, so leave it outside.

Cheers.

By the way, I didn't hear it in the recording. I did hear the sympathetic ringing, though. That's different, but doesn't follow your verbal description.

Yeah, if it's electrical interference, it could be two things: RF noise, or "dirty" power. Dirty power can be cleaned up by either an isolating transformer, a power strip with power conditioning, or both. If it's RF noise, you can fix it by playing in a Faraday cage. But mind, you're cell phone won't work in there, so leave it outside.
The other advantage is that the ghosts can't get to you in there.

(Anyone get the reference?)

AP515 is absolutely right (as usual)...this is typical indication of a grounding problem. It's very common, especially in certain Gibson products (it happens with my old Les Paul) and can be fixed with a small wire run to the bridge or tailpiece. Builders typically cancel this problem by boring a hole to one of the press-fit ferrules that the bridge studs thread in to and run the wire in a clean fashion. There will always be electromagnetic and radio interference, so focus more on defeating the hum rather than preventing it (unless you like a house without electricity :biggrin:). If I can find a pic of my work, I'll post it up. Otherwise, see a guitar tech and have them clean up the problem in expensively.

Hello, as I mentioned the issue is fixed but thanks for all the advice :)

It was indeed the PC charger (I lost my original one, that was silent) and the crap one I got makes an audible buzz. The guitar was simply piking it up. If I unplug it when I want to connect it to the computer (to record, use amp simulator software, play Rocksmith, etc) it's just fine. Otherwise just need to play away from it.

Didn't know we could cancel that with other devices, as mentioned by Wardog and Dusty Chalk. I'll look into it, and if you leave any link with a product you actually use for it, even better :)

As for the grounding of the guitar, I would say everything is fine, since aside from the charger problem seems to be very clear. Dusty, while at work with different headphones I couldn't hear the noise either while listening to the little audio file, but even using crap Iphone ones I can hear it very clearly now, and trust me, it was very noticeable. The issue was not the sympathetic ringing, I'm accustomed to that part, that was my fist thought. It would persist there indefinitely.

Thanks everyone for the input once again!

Last edited:
Well I presume from your moniker that you're across the pond from me, and I'm not familiar with products over there, but since it was the charger for your laptop, I think the right approach is to unplug it when playing the guitar. Otherwise just look for power strips that filter. If your house A/C is dirty, or has a tendency to drop out or brown out, this is probably a good idea anyway, will extend the life of your computer's charger next time. And/or possibly buy a better charger.

I was kind of kidding about the full-scale Faraday cage, but guitarists have been known to line their pickup routes with specialized foil to reduce RF interference. "Shielding" is the key word you'll want to ask about.

Cheers. Glad you got it sorted all the same.

You'll still get some delayed responses to your initial query, as you'll find in any forum. It's a disease many of us have -- "verbosity". Look at it this way -- we're just trying to help. Sometimes a better and easily implemented solution might identify itself, and it's worth trying.

Back