Favourite Concerts?

Doing favourites, so I'm gonna throw out concerts ... my list.

1. Jimi Hendrix Experience --- Early May, 1969, Maple Leaf Gardens.
2. Stevie Ray Vaughan --- July 1983, El Mocambo.
3. Van Halen --- May 1979, Maple Leaf Gardens.
4. Led Zepplin --- Early February, 1969, The Rock Pile.
5. Bruce Springsteen - Around Christmas 1975, Seneca College.
6. The Police --- Summer 1975, Horseshoe Tavern --- I went there expecting country music and there they were, had never heard of them. Only 15 - 20 people in the audience, but I stayed all nite. It was very interesting.
7. Rolling Stones & Stevie Wonder --- July 1972, Maple Leaf Gardens.

Can't really place this one, but it was definetly memorable.

Woodstock --- August 1969, Bethel, New York.

Last edited:
Joe Bonamassa - Liverpool Echo Arena 2012
Roger Waters The Wall - Manchester MEN 2011
The Darkness - Manchester MEN

I'll throw in the worst...

Take That - Birmingham with my Girlfriend, two of her co-workers and a broken arm. F.U.N.

Hmmm. Always have problems with this one. These will be in no particular order.

Stones - '97 ish - 12th row center by the catwalk.
Alice In Chains -'92 my 1st real concert
Slash - last year on his solo tour, my 1st time seeing him live. Also met him briefly - unforgettable.
Sevendust -'97 in this tiny 200 cap bar. Blew my doors off. Extremely intense.
Tool - around the time AEnima came out. Great set, mesmerizing.
Radiohead - seen them several times, hard to pick a fave
Pantera- every time was a brutal beat down.
Elbow - tour for 1st album, a buddy & I drove 4 hrs each way. Small club. Awesome vibe.

Oh, there's been some good ones!

First the bad: Alice in Chains headlining the Lollapalooza show in the Gorge in about '93. AIC was alright, but the fans were just a**holes that night.

Great ones:
Pink Floyd on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour (Seattle Kingdome, 1987)
Monsters of Rock '88: (Kingdom Come, Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions, Van Halen)
Prong, Voivod, and Soundgarden in 1989(?) at Seattle's Paramount theater. Soundgarden was wrapping up the Louder than Love tour and were fresh off a Grammy nomination.
Primus, Pixies, Jane's Addiction in the Seattle Arena 1989
Jane's Addiction at Eastern Washington University 1990. Magic!

a bit of a gap in the 90's and 00's... Then:

Porcupine Tree and Opeth, in the In Absentia/Damnation tour Seattle 2003
Porcupine Tree Baltimore 2009 (right in the middle of Exp '09 and a fabulous show!)
Rush Time Machine Tour 2010
And finally Opeth at the PRS factory in 2011. I have never enjoyed a show more than that one!

Ozz fest I think 2002 with Pantera and Godsmack and a bunch of other great ones,
Y&T last year at Baltimore sound stage
Tab Benoit at the Jewish Mother in Virginia beach last month
Albert Cummings at the Capital Ale House in Richmond this past January
Alice Cooper at the Richmond Mosque, now the Landmark Theater
Ozz fest 2004 or 5 not sure in Bristow, VA
Whitesnake and Great White Thompson Bolling Arena Knoxville, tn.
Tesla in Raleigh, early 90's
Ratt 3 times
Queenstown in 85
Scorpions
Poison
Dokken 80's and 2000's

Cream, Winterland, San Francisco, CA, 1968
The Music Machine, The Royal Guardsmen, The Seeds, Sopwith Camel, Jefferson Airplane, The Beach Boys--San Francisco Civc Auditorium, 1966
Tribute to Hank Garland, Civic Auditorium, Nashville, TN, 1976
Allan Toussaint, Opera House, Napa, CA, 2013
Merle Haggard, Golden Nugget, Las Vegas, NV, 2012
Albert Collins, Elvin Bishop, B. B. King, Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA, 1969
The Byrds, Fillmore West, 1969
The Who, Fillmore West, 1970
Patty Loveless, Solano County Fair, Vallejo, CA, 2000
Southern Pacific, Solano County Fair, 1988
The Nashville Superpickers, Ramada Inn, Sedalia, MO, 1981 (I was actually in the headlining act for this one! The Superpickers featured, among others, Phil Baugh on guitar and Buddy Emmons on steel, and we had to follow them!)

Last edited:
Cream, Winterland, San Francisco, CA, 1968
The Music Machine, The Royal Guardsmen, The Seeds, Sopwith Camel, Jefferson Airplane, The Beach Boys--San Francisco Civc Auditorium, 1966
Tribute to Hank Garland, Civic Auditorium, Nashville, TN, 1976
Allan Toussaint, Opera House, Napa, CA, 2013
Merle Haggard, Golden Nugget, Las Vegas, NV, 2012
Albert Collins, Elvin Bishop, B. B. King, Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA, 1969
The Byrds, Fillmore West, 1969
The Who, Fillmore West, 1970
Patty Loveless, Solano County Fair, Vallejo, CA, 2000
Southern Pacific, Solano County Fair, 1988
The Nashville Superpickers, Ramada Inn, Sedalia, MO, 1981 (I was actually in the headlining act for this one! The Superpickers featured, among others, Phil Baugh on guitar and Buddy Emmons on steel, and we had to follow them!)

Hey Man;

Some really good stuff there. Cream never played Toronto that I'm aware of.
I've never run into anyone who knows Southern Pacific.

Pink Floyd, "The Wall" Nassau Colliseum, 1982
Pink Floyd, "Aminals" and "WYWH"; MSG, 1977
Roger Waters "The Wall" Izod Center, 2010
Blue Oyster Cult New Years Eve Acadamy of Music 1974/5
Neil Young....any tour with Crazy Horse...best was the garage band tour of circa1986 and the "Greendale" tour of 2008
The Who, MSG, "Quadrophenia" 1997

In no particular order, but quite memorable:
Santana - Supernatural tour Ontario Place
Jeff Beck, opened by Johnny Lang - I think it was supporting Who Else - Ontario Place
U2, opened by 3rd Eye Blind - the tour with the giant lemon - Toronto Skydome
Clapton, opened by Bonnie Raitt - probably for Pilgrim - Toronto Skydome
Springsteen - Born in the USA Tour - CNE Stadium
SRV - Canada's Wonderland
Satriani - Canada's Wonderland
Bowie - Lets Dance tour - CNE stadium
Keith Urban - Hershey arena

Roger Waters - The Wall - Wrigley Field 2012
Jerry Garcia Band - Poplar Creek Music Center - 9/16/89 with Clarence Clemons
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Loeb Playhouse - Purdue University - 12/9/85
Grateful Dead - all shows I attended
String Cheese Incident - Aragon Ballroom - 12/9/2011

I've been to hundreds of concerts, for today, and most days, here's my top 10 list:

10. 1/22/82-- The Police Ghost in the Machine Tour-- Madison Square Garden-- electrifying
9. Circa 1975-76 Black Sabbath at Madison Square Garden (opening act--Aerosmith). Had third row center seats. Great show!
8. Circa 1982-83 Pat Metheny Group's Imaginary Tour . Great seats and great show at the Beacon Theater, NYC. One of several great shows of Pat that I've seen live.
7. 10/13/82-- The Clash at Shea (Ok, they opened for the Who but see # 6). I thought the Clash were the better act.
6. 6/10/74-- The Who at Madison Square Garden plays Quadrophenia with Keith Moon and John Entwistle). I saw the Who several times but only once with the originals.
5. 1973-- My first concert ever was to see Mountain (Lesley West, Felix Pappalardi, Corky Lang) at Brooklyn College, NY. Chick Corea was the opening act--that was weird.
4. 10/30/76 -- Bruce Springsteen at the Palladium. I saw Bruce many times including last year's Wrecking Ball tour. But this one was a standout.
3. 7/4/77 -- Pink Floyd Animal's Tour-- Sat in the first row center at Madison Square Garden.....Satisfying!
2. 6/16/75 -- Pink Floyd Performs Dark Side of the Moon at the Nassau Coliseum -- Awesome!
1. On June 28, 1975, Carlos Santana appeared as Eric Clapton’s special guest at the Nassau Coliseum concert in an extraordinary presentation of “Stormy Monday.” E.C. and Santana were joined by the Mahavishnu Orchestra’s guitar virtuoso, John McLaughlin. Photographs and information about the show can be accessed
on Santanamigos.com. - I WAS THERE!

Ahh...I forgot about U2 at Soldier Field a couple years ago. Great show and easily the most awesome visual stage setup I've ever seen.
5909342317_afbfeaf522_b.jpg

Was almost thankful our seats were a ways up/back, there was a lot to take in visually. The sound was great and it was pretty loud even where we were sitting(in the 2nd level).

I don't remember dates too well... but I really enjoyed The Time, Gang of Four, and Earth, Wind, and Fire. I've also seen some amazing Hip-hop shows that nobody here cares about.

Leo Kottke in 2003. It was at SIUC's Shryock Auditorium. He was on his mark that night for certain.

Behemoth on tour for Thelema.6. It was at The Creepy Crawl in STL. Chanda and I both love Behemoth and seeing them in such a small space as an opening act for Macabre of all bands was insane. They should have headlined that show and everyone knew it.

Grissom at PRS EXP 2012. It was my first time seeing him. Floored.

And this one is for my man themike cause he was rocking a Cryptopsy patch on his backpack at PRS EXP 2012.
Cryptopsy on the tour for Whisper Supremacy. It was at The Galaxy in STL. I got a drumstick from Flo and was able to get it signed by gang.

Last edited:
Hey Man;

Some really good stuff there. Cream never played Toronto that I'm aware of.
I've never run into anyone who knows Southern Pacific.
Southern Pacific were a great band with quite a bit of history individually. They had several country hits back in the '80's. Their lead guitarist was John McFee, who had played with a local Bay Area band called Clover, some of whom wound up in Huey Lewis & The News--after Clover, he was in the Doobie Brothers for a while. SP's drummer was Keith Knudsen from the Doobies, and their bass player was Stu Cook from Creedence Clearwater Revival. I can't remember the keyboard player's name, but he'd done some high-profile sideman gigs with people like Crystal Gayle. And Tim Goodman, the rhythm guitarist, was the only member who hadn't come from a high-profile background. He apparently was responsible for the breakup of the band when he inherited a large sum of money and quit the music business. I really dug them, but I don't think Nashville would know what to do with them today.

Back