Experience 2016 Art

prs19

I've been lucky enough to go to two PRS Experience events. The first time I went one of the things I enjoyed most was the staining event where you get to take rough cut pieces of tops and work with one of the PRS stain gurus to try and achieve something cool. The first time I went I only did one piece. This year it hit me that I should try and do at least one of every 'type' of piece and make the outline of the guitar. I was able to do just that. I bought some sanding sealer, nitro cellulose laquer, and medium buffing compound from Stew-Mac. I also picked up one of their guitar finishing books ahead of that order to give me an idea on what I should do. I am very, very please with the results. I learned a lot along the way. Probably the biggest thing is if I ever get the chance to do it again I will spend much more time sanding at the factory before I stain. It's very hard to hide any blemishes after the fact (like the high spots in the purple that show up as lines).

As a bonus in the middle of putting some of the final top coats on, Righteous Guitars was hosting a meet and greet with PRSh. I was able to take the neck portion of the rough cuts up there to get him to sign. 4 top coats , 1200 grit wet sand, final buffing, and carnuba wax later I was very pleased.

It seems the best way to get colors to pop on the grain is to do two different colors. For example, the green one is actually a layer of blue water based stain, a wet wash of the stain, and then a coat of yellow water stain. It turns green but up close there are subtle colors of yellow and blue. The only red/orange quilt was an attempt at Orange Tourmaline. Per the expert's guidance, I started with orange, water wash, water diluted red on one edge, and then worked the red into the orange with circular motions to blend it into the orange. The quilt is probably my favorite! Which is yours?

Only thing left is to add a laser engraved 'logo' to the bottom saying something like PRS Experience 2016, Stevensville Maryland, and the date. I don't know if I'll stain it or leave it natural and clear coat it.

It's been fun. Hope you enjoy!

C5273D84-A329-4CBA-83B7-38E23EF467DC_zpssnaman4u.jpg

8C0AC18F-A437-4DA1-B80B-2B79B58391CB_zpsykduabdb.jpg

4C482157-8A6F-40A4-A56A-F2AABF9F40D6_zpshtoels7f.jpg

I always have a good time at the staining table. I've been trying to figure out what to do with them all. Cool idea to get the pieces to make an outline of a body!

Back