Easy question for y'all: When did the lampshade knobs appear?

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
I always thought the newer "lampshade" knobs transitioned onto the scene in 2010, replacing the speed knobs. However, I keep seeing a bunch of '05 20th Anniversary guitars with the lampshade knobs. Did a bunch of owners go back & replace their speed knobs, or did those lampshades appear on certain guitars well before 2010?

I agree, I think I first saw them in 2005.
And yes I have gone back and replaced a number of earlier models with the lampshade knobs. I like them better.

If they were around in 2005, it was only on specific models. All of my 2006 guitars had the old speed knobs on them. The first guitars I bought with the lampshade knobs on them were my Ted McCarty single cut and Starla, both in 2009. I put the lampshade knobs on my 06 CU22 and SAS guitars.

If they were around in 2005, it was only on specific models. All of my 2006 guitars had the old speed knobs on them. The first guitars I bought with the lampshade knobs on them were my Ted McCarty single cut and Starla, both in 2009. I put the lampshade knobs on my 06 CU22 and SAS guitars.
Agree. My 08 Custom 22 had speed knobs.

Any PRS I have gets the lampshades SE or whatever. They feel right, but don't feel right on my other brand guitars.

Thanks for this knowledge, all! Another thing that differentiates PRS from the rest.

Agreed. My 04 CE22 has lampshade knobs - I am not the original owner though, so not sure if they came stock or after market. My 97 CE22 has speed knobs, as does my 01 SAS (which I just ordered!! I’m sensing a NGD thread shortly) so I ordered the lampshades for those (merry Christmas to me).

If I ever pull the trigger on a NF53 (I was so so close…but all I wanted to do was immediately do a mod ‍♂️), I think the old iconic black fender knobs would be killer.

Agreed. My 04 CE22 has lampshade knobs - I am not the original owner though, so not sure if they came stock or after market. My 97 CE22 has speed knobs, as does my 01 SAS (which I just ordered!! I’m sensing a NGD thread shortly) so I ordered the lampshades for those (merry Christmas to me).

If I ever pull the trigger on a NF53 (I was so so close…but all I wanted to do was immediately do a mod ‍♂️), I think the old iconic black fender knobs would be killer.
Thumbs-up on your "new" SAS purchase! Can't wait to see it.

Also, yeah... I do think maybe some black-metal barrel knobs (Tele style) might look cool on an NF53. But unfortunately those are usually set-screw fastened onto a smooth-shafted potentiometer, whereas the stock PRS lampshades are a push-fit onto the coarse pot shafts. (Good news is that a few people do sell adapters to go from coarse pots to set-screw knobs.)

I love the lampshade knobs for everything except the push pull pots. They are hard to get a hold of to pull up. Thankfully as the switches are used more it seems to get easier. My newest guitar is a bit of a bear to get that switch pulled up. My other guitars are easier.

Thumbs-up on your "new" SAS purchase! Can't wait to see it.

Also, yeah... I do think maybe some black-metal barrel knobs (Tele style) might look cool on an NF53. But unfortunately those are usually set-screw fastened onto a smooth-shafted potentiometer, whereas the stock PRS lampshades are a push-fit onto the coarse pot shafts. (Good news is that a few people do sell adapters to go from coarse pots to set-screw knobs.)
I actually received some sleeves to put over the pot shaft with splines to make it smooth so the set screw knobs can be used on it. I was skeptical but they work.

My ‘04 CU24 came with speed knobs, I don’t think I’ve owned anything that was between ‘04 and ‘09 which I know had speed knobs. So I believe the ‘05ish time frame

My ‘04 CU24 came with speed knobs, I don’t think I’ve owned anything that was between ‘04 and ‘09 which I know had speed knobs. So I believe the ‘05ish time frame
From the guitars I have purchased and what I have seen posted here, it looks like 2009 and into 2010 is when they were transitioning over to them being on all models. They may have been on a model back in 2004 but I am betting that was the first sight of them and it was probably to test the water with them like they tend to do with things.

From the guitars I have purchased and what I have seen posted here, it looks like 2009 and into 2010 is when they were transitioning over to them being on all models. They may have been on a model back in 2004 but I am betting that was the first sight of them and it was probably to test the water with them like they tend to do with things.

Also entirely possible that people just put them on ;)

I don’t remember exactly but why don’t they make black lampshade knobs? And I know that the clear knobs are supposedly “black”, but I am talking about straight up black knobs. Sorry for the digression…errr 2006’ish if memory serves.

Back