Didn’t like SS, will I like Fiore?

62caster

After a brief honeymoon period with the Silver Sky, I just found I wasn’t a fan. The pickups were too microphonic, and I couldn’t get the action to where I wanted (the same measurements as my Standard 22) without buzz.

I DID like the neck shape and feel in general, though.

Has anybody jumped from a SS to a Fiore?

I can’t find one in stock around me unfortunately to try out.

The Fiore neck is beefier, for sure - I felt it was a little much, but I have small hands. Although no other PRS profile has ever bothered me.

Action… who knows. It can vary (slightly) from guitar to guitar. Fretting out on bends would probably be less likely with the Fiore using very low action, vs the Silver Sky.

After a brief honeymoon period with the Silver Sky, I just found I wasn’t a fan. The pickups were too microphonic, and I couldn’t get the action to where I wanted (the same measurements as my Standard 22) without buzz.

I DID like the neck shape and feel in general, though.

Has anybody jumped from a SS to a Fiore?

I can’t find one in stock around me unfortunately to try out.
I've been looking for one to check out as well. Might be interested in the same swap. There are others here though who have experience with both and have helpful info.

I have both , very different guitars for me the Fiore neck is more narrow and a bit smaller overall.
The tapped tone of the ( Parallel ) of the bridge pickup is the least useful tone IMHO
I had to replace the nut , its possible the previous owned messed with mine , the stock Pattern Reg PRS nut if a perfect fit and improved the tuning for me. I also replace the tuners to Phase 3s .
The Fiore sounds best when played with more aggression , and sound more PRS and less Strat.
For me the Fiore like the 513 is a great guitar when you only want to bring one guitar or a first jam.
I still like the Silver Sky better ( by a small amount ) but I am very happy with both.

As if anyone can predict what you'll like or dislike.

If you can't try the guitar you're interested in locally, talk to a dealer who will give you a 24 hour return window. Then you'll know without having to rely on the opinions of people who know nothing about you, and only know what works for them!

We are all different. Everyone. No two alike!

Maybe try an SE Silver Sky and if you like it, put other pickups in it.

I prefer the neck and fingerboard radius of the SE. It's a little flatter and bends are easy.

The pickups are fine. Really good in fact.

But I did replace them with some long time favorites.

I have Chubtone 61's in one and Chubtones El Gordos in my other.

I tried Duncan Antiquitys in one of my two SE Silver Skys and liked them very much but moved them to my Mark Jenny Strat because the fingerboard radius of that guitar is a better match for the polepiece stagger of the Antiquitys.

So maybe try a SE Silver Sky with your favorite pickups. It's a great guitar worth twice its price.

That said, I'd love to try a PRS Fiore!

I had the SS and like you the shine wore off quickly. Picked up a Fiore, had them together for a few months and barely touched the SS after a week. I enjoy the feel, fatter tones of the Fiore and it has become one of my favorites. To each their own. Good luck!
What did you like better about the Fiore?

Having a bridge humbucker?

Is that the fatter tone you're referring to or are the single coils fatter sounding too?

I put Chubtone pickups in my Silver Sky and they are known for their fatter tone.

What did you like better about the Fiore?

Having a bridge humbucker?

Is that the fatter tone you're referring to or are the single coils fatter sounding too?

I put Chubtone pickups in my Silver Sky and they are known for their fatter tone.
Neck was more comfortable for me, the versatility of having the humbucker and the crazy sound options available, and preferred the sound of the single coils of the Fiore, which to me sounds fatter.

Neck was more comfortable for me, the versatility of having the humbucker and the crazy sound options available, and preferred the sound of the single coils of the Fiore, which to me sounds fatter.
That's why I put Mike Gray's Chubtone pickups in my Silver Sky. Fatter tone with smoother treble.

The Silver Sky pickups sound like a great Strat and I already have a great Strat. I wouldn't want to not own a guitar with that sound.

But I wanted some variety so I bought two SE Silver Skys and even though the stock pickups are terrific, I put Chubtone 61's in one and similar slightly thicker sounding Chubtone El Gordos in the other.

Personally, I like the neck on the SE Silver Sky better than the neck on the USA version.

Last edited:
Back