Customer Service Response Time

I haven’t had any issues with them. ( the PTC , Matt King & James Zimmers ) I sent an email about getting some work done on my Custom 22 ltd edition semi hollow, and they got back to me in 2 days. I sent the guitar to them, and it will be coming back to me this week. The contacted me several times with questions, and updates to let me know how it was going. Granted, I had new TCI 58/15 pups installed, new “tweaked” gen 3 tuners, a bone nut, and a complete set-up done, so the extra contact was warranted.
I think if you have questions about warranty work, repairs, or other pertinent details about a guitar you own, or want repaired, it’s been my experience that they get back to you in a reasonable amount of time. If you’re looking for info, or other non-priority issues, you’re better off contacting your dealer. I’m not sticking up for them, I’m just relaying my experiences with them. Shawn was very easy to contact, as is Matt King. You wouldn’t get any personal response from Gibson, or Fender for any reason…I’ve tried! I’ve been able to speak to a person every time I’ve called PRS, so I think their customer service is above par, when compared to many other venders.

I guess it depends. What was the "request?" Since the answer is always "contact your dealer first" and we don't know what your problem is, we don't know if it's something PRS will want the dealer to handle, or if they'll want it sent to them, or if it is just a general question that should be asked to the dealer.

I'm not speaking for anyone there, but it sounds like you send them questions that may or may not be related to a warranty issue with a new PRS... I mean, for all I know, you could be asking for crab cake recipes. :D I'm joking of course, but it sounds like you've done it "regularly" enough to know when they slow down or speed up. Do you have a problem with a new guitar? Or are you just asking questions? I'm guessing there is a big difference in how quickly they respond to one vs. the other, given their current work load.
Simple questions. Nothing related to warranty. ”Can PTC install smoked nickel hardware?”

Other questions taking three to six weeks include: “What are the color codes for 4-wire 53/10 pickups? Can PTC replace pickup covers and stickers? What are the specs on PRS pole screws?”

Very simple stuff. If they are overwhelmed, add capacity. That’s how production works.

The delays started during the winter. There no sensible explanation for a massive spike in customers service questions during that time. In other words, increased demand is not clear. They did deploy a new customer service tracking system during that time. Assuming demand was constant, it was either a change in process, the new tracking system, or insufficient staff. None are acceptable when folks are inquiring about guitars ranging up $15k or more. Really, in any customer-driven business, it’s bad form to make customers wait weeks for answers to even stupid questions, regardless of the product or price point.

Very simple stuff. If they are overwhelmed, add capacity. That’s how production works.
Actually, as you yourself said above, it’s NOT that simple. PRS wants experienced people answering these questions. You’re backlogged on production for up to or over a year on some models. Would you rather have those guys working on building guitars, or answering those type of questions? If they delegate the to handle “problems” then with all due respect, I can’t imagine how your questions above would be a priority over building or taking care of problems. I mean, spec on the pole screws??? I wouldn’t guess that answering that is a priority that would define their actual level of service for their product.

I guess it depends. What was the "request?" Since the answer is always "contact your dealer first" and we don't know what your problem is, we don't know if it's something PRS will want the dealer to handle, or if they'll want it sent to them, or if it is just a general question that should be asked to the dealer.

I'm not speaking for anyone there, but it sounds like you send them questions that may or may not be related to a warranty issue with a new PRS... I mean, for all I know, you could be asking for crab cake recipes. :D I'm joking of course, but it sounds like you've done it "regularly" enough to know when they slow down or speed up. Do you have a problem with a new guitar? Or are you just asking questions? I'm guessing there is a big difference in how quickly they respond to one vs. the other, given their current work load.
:p:D

Actually, as you yourself said above, it’s NOT that simple. PRS wants experienced people answering these questions. You’re backlogged on production for up to or over a year on some models. Would you rather have those guys working on building guitars, or answering those type of questions? If they delegate the to handle “problems” then with all due respect, I can’t imagine how your questions above would be a priority over building or taking care of problems. I mean, spec on the pole screws??? I wouldn’t guess that answering that is a priority that would define their actual level of service for their product.
I definitely hear what you’re saying, but PRS is not a small startup, where everyone has to wear multiple hats. They are a large, profitable company. Customer Service is a department/role just as important as H.R., Accounting, R&D and Production. Hire, train, “poach” from another company, or do whatever it takes to fill that role and treat Customer Service seriously. In addition to providing pre/post-sale support, this is one of the most important sales opportunities in a company. As I tell the folks in my company, everyone who interacts with a customer has the opportunity to drive sales - whether you’re in tech support, customer service, doing technical training - every interaction with a customer is a potential sales opportunity (immediate or future).

Like most on this forum, I really love this company and brand, but I don’t think it makes sense to make excuses for what is obviously a problem. Let’s hope the problem is being 1) acknowledged; and 2) addressed with the attention it warrants.

P.S. And for now, when a new or existing forum member asks a question or is looking for input here, let’s not state forum rule no. 5, paragraph 2, subsection 7, stating that they have to contact PRS Customer Service for the answer. If we can collectively answer it, why not? ;)

Simple questions. Nothing related to warranty. ”Can PTC install smoked nickel hardware?”

Other questions taking three to six weeks include: “What are the color codes for 4-wire 53/10 pickups? Can PTC replace pickup covers and stickers? What are the specs on PRS pole screws?”

Very simple stuff.

I don’t think it makes sense to make excuses for what is obviously a problem.

Again, with all due respect, if I just spent $5K on a new PRS and it has a problem, I want someone to help me and that is a customer service issue. No disrespect intended in anyway, but the questions above are not something I'd be prioritizing or basing my "customer service rating" on. Heck, look at the questions... if you send all those at once, one is for PTC, one for someone who knows 10 year old pickups, and one for someone in the parts department! And none are a product problem or service issue... But, YMMV.

Again, with all due respect, if I just spent $5K on a new PRS and it has a problem, I want someone to help me and that is a customer service issue. No disrespect intended in anyway, but the questions above are not something I'd be prioritizing or basing my "customer service rating" on. Heck, look at the questions... if you send all those at once, one is for PTC, one for someone who knows 10 year old pickups, and one for someone in the parts department! And none are a product problem or service issue... But, YMMV.
The above is one example. As others (myself included) with “legitimate” questions, if you really want to make a distinction, have experienced really poor customer service response times over the past several months.

The above is one example. As others (myself included) with “legitimate” questions, if you really want to make a distinction, have experienced really poor customer service response times over the past several months.
I'm just saying that while I have nothing to do with it, if my resources were very limited, "issues" would come first. Then I'd prioritize the "questions" depending on their nature.

They don’t rotate people between production and customer service. It’s not like fast food joint, where you move Joe from burgers to fries because it’s a lunch rush.

They were 18 months behind on special orders in November 2019. Yet, at the same time, customer service responses were relatively quick - days, not weeks, for a reply.

By what you lay out, the existing production backlog should have diverted assets from customer service to any of the myriad production teams. They don’t operate that way. Folks don’t bounce from team to team based on the day operations tempo. I think it’s a deeper business process issue.

So your problem is more important than another customer’s problem? Except for warranty issues, they can’t operate that way. They sell, and profit, much in SEs than Cores. If they ignored SE questions for the “important” issues, they’ll piss off customers.

For all Gibsons QC issues, their Customer Service was easy to get a hold of - you could actually call them and get answers.

Part of it also stems from PRS’ proprietary treatment of information. They don’t divulge much info about pickups and hardware. That helps keep the pickups “mysterious” and command a premium price (compare to some boutique builders who post all specs, but charge similar prices…you can be transparent…it comes down to design and winding patterns). Some PRS specs are public knowledge, they keep a lot close to the vest. I mean they don’t even confirm country of origin for parts…which I think is no accident. Folks paying $6k for a Wood Library or Artist model may not be thrilled that their guitar parts are made by the same supplier for SEs, or Ltd, Schecter, etc. Cores used to be mostly US-made parts, but it Asian hardware and pots now. Just the pickups are US-made.)

Personally, I don’t care where parts are made, so long as they are too-quality, but do want to know where they come from. I would prefer more transparency on materials, hardware and specs. It would make it easier to crowd-source answers. I ask PRS questions only as a lest resort - after exhausting online resources and forums.

So your problem is more important than another customer’s problem?
Careful there. That is 100% NOT what I said. What I said was “I have a bad switch on my new guitar” is more important than “what kind of screws do you use.” Don’t twist my words here. I know others have said that things aren’t the same since Shawn left, so I’m not questioning that. But the nature of the questions you posed above don’t strike me as top priority concerns when they are short handed, because none of them were related to a new guitar purchase except the potential modification of one. And again, if you asked the 3 questions you mentioned above, that may well need to go to 3 different people to get all 3 answers.

According to one thing I saw, PRS spends literally twice as much time on QC during production, as Gibson does on the average guitar. That’s a lot more “get it right the first time” than “get it out there and provide a bunch of support for all the problems that get through” mindset. But I’m not discussing it any more because I don’t work there and can’t answer for those who do. And if you think your smoked chrome and screw question demands the same priority as my non-functioning switch on a new guitar example, then we’re never going to agree anyway.

Personally, I don’t care where parts are made, so long as they are too-quality, but do want to know where they come from. I would prefer more transparency on materials, hardware and specs. It would make it easier to crowd-source answers. I ask PRS questions only as a lest resort - after exhausting online resources and forums.
Again, you’re not going to get what you want here. PRS has always been close to the vest with this stuff and a few guys on the internet who are upset with PRS because they think they deserve to know, is not going to change that. But if I needed to know that, I’d make sure it was a service type question when I asked it, rather than just asking what they are. “Mine are corroded and need to be replaced” type thing. That’s totally just my opinion though. Or, you could be nice to the right people here… someone may know the answer to some of your questions.

You just confirmed what I said…you are seeming your issue as more important than another’s. That’s a bad way to run outreach for rank-and-file customers: “Sorry, Sir, I can’t answer your question right now. I am dealing with something more important at the moment”. That’s a sure fire way to piss off clients or customers.

Triaging questions may happen, but that shouldn’t delay replies over weeks. It should serve to improve the quality of the response (ex: finish questions route to the finishing expert). A “screws” question is just as important as a switch, especially if one is lost (happens to ‘e’ string bridge screws) or damaged…or a tech has a customer’s guitar and is asked to change or match hardware (as is the case for me). Should a tech’s question trump yours? Never.

Every customers’ questions are equally important. Why? Because they all pay the same. I don’t own SEs, but I know SEs are what keep the company afloat. That’s why the annual “reveal” focuses so heavily on SEs. PRS has bifurcated the company into the US-side and the import-side. One enables the other to endure. Private Stocks don’t keep the company in business.

An 18-year old just starting out who asks if an SE has chrome or nickel hardware is just as important as you and your switch question. PRS needs to build and maintain brand loyalty with both of you. Piss off a customer now and you may lose them to myriad other companies. Customers have never had more good choices in “budget” or sub-$1,000 guitars. PRS needs the customer more than the other way ‘round. If customers disappeared, PRS would have no option but to fold. But if PRS disappeared, players would still have tons of great options across all price points.

I’d venture even further…your issue is a troubleshooting issue. It’s not necessarily a yes/no question like color availability. It begs for the chance to talk to someone, but they don’t do that. There are some guitar/amp/pedal companies that make it much easier to talk to a tech support-type to resolve warranty issues.

The only acceptable extended delays are for questions that require additional research to answer - and they should let you know. In the past, I’ve been told “I need to do more research” on tougher questions about older models, limited editions, or MODCAT errors.

My point - and others seem have experienced the same - is that response times have gotten worse. Without explanation from PRS we can only guess. When they were short-staffed due to COVID, they told people it would delay replies. We have nothing to go on now other than customers’ experiences, which will have to suffice for our market research.

You just confirmed what I said…you are seeming your issue as more important than another’s.
Sorry, I don’t have an issue, that was an example, but your point is clear. I’m wasting my time.

“Sorry, Sir, I can’t answer your question right now. I am dealing with something more important at the moment”. That’s a sure fire way to piss off clients or customers.

Or “sorry sir, the fact that you cant work the radio is very important to me. There’s a guy whose motor blew 5 miles after he drove his new car off the lot, but you were first in line. This may take a while because if you can’t understand the “on” and “off” buttons, we have a lot to cover but you are important to us so lets get that radio fixed for you and we’ll get to him and his family later.”

If you had any clue how many times people from this forum have patiently walked people through the process of troubleshooting tubes because they came here screaming “my new amp has an issue” but they didn’t even know how to do the beginners level troubleshooting on a tube amp, you’d understand the sarcasm. But I’m guessing you won’t.

Sorry, I don’t have an issue, that was an example, but your point is clear. I’m wasting my time.

Or “sorry sir, the fact that you cant work the radio is very important to me. There’s a guy whose motor blew 5 miles after he drove his new car off the lot, but you were first in line. This may take a while because if you can’t understand the “on” and “off” buttons, we have a lot to cover but you are important to us so lets get that radio fixed for you and we’ll get to him and his family later.”

If you had any clue how many times people from this forum have patiently walked people through the process of troubleshooting tubes because they came here screaming “my new amp has an issue” but they didn’t even know how to do the beginners level troubleshooting on a tube amp, you’d understand the sarcasm. But I’m guessing you won’t.
So you were being sarcastic? Hmmm.

I would have a clue about forums…been on them going back to Harmony Central days. I’ve talked people through whatever I could to offer help. I want to save them from having to do whatever research or hoops I had to jump through to learn the info myself. I’ve also posted questions in forums on technical issues and not received informative replies.

…And you again missed that I distinguished between ‘Warranty Issue’ and ‘Customer Service’ above. The former usually requires more investigation and may involve more complex problems. It can also take long because the company has to decide if it will cover a repair (PRS doesn’t go around handing out free $1,900 refinishes). Yet, some warranty questions are easily addressed in my experience. There are guitar companies that split their departments into Warranty and Customer Service sections. PRS doesn’t do that, to my knowledge. It all goes through Customer Service first, then the PTC if repair is required or requested.

Still, blown header or missing cup holder, that car dealer needs to take care of its customers. Plus, their shops don’t always prioritize repairs in order of magnitude, cost or complexity. It’s influenced by the shop’s organization, parts availability, work flow on a given day, time of day, and customer requirement/request.

And, again, assuming nothing structural has changed at the company and “dumb question” demand is constant (no clear cause for an increase), what explains the new delays? A sudden surge of people asking what a ‘Volume’ button does seems pretty unlikely. So, I ask again, what is the likely cause for the new delays?

I haven’t had any issues with them. ( the PTC , Matt King & James Zimmers ) I sent an email about getting some work done on my Custom 22 ltd edition semi hollow, and they got back to me in 2 days. I sent the guitar to them, and it will be coming back to me this week. The contacted me several times with questions, and updates to let me know how it was going. Granted, I had new TCI 58/15 pups installed, new “tweaked” gen 3 tuners, a bone nut, and a complete set-up done, so the extra contact was warranted.
I think if you have questions about warranty work, repairs, or other pertinent details about a guitar you own, or want repaired, it’s been my experience that they get back to you in a reasonable amount of time. If you’re looking for info, or other non-priority issues, you’re better off contacting your dealer. I’m not sticking up for them, I’m just relaying my experiences with them. Shawn was very easy to contact, as is Matt King. You wouldn’t get any personal response from Gibson, or Fender for any reason…I’ve tried! I’ve been able to speak to a person every time I’ve called PRS, so I think their customer service is above par, when compared to many other venders.
Yep, but that is two different things. PTC and customer service are two different teams, two different staffs. Work orders & invoices vs questions.

I've had work done through the PTC. Warranty requests are slower than a straight-up service/repair request. One of the questions that entailed a 6-week response involved pickup repairs (it turned out they don't do it).

I got rid of my last Gibson in 2020. I managed to always get a person when I had warranty or general questions for Epiphone or Gibson. Warranty service was great the one or two times I required it. I have no experience with that under the new Gibson management.

In my experience it is hit-or-miss with dealers. In most cases, they don't know anything more than we do, because PRS doesn't tell them anything "proprietary". Some dealers are very familiar with PRS wood sourcing, building methods and finishing, but won't know where components are sourced, how they are spec'd or manufactured.

After waiting for a while when I made the initial request and receiving a response PTC has been quick with service responses, and I'm the one holding up the process with my slow responses! Once in the queue things move promptly.

This is a warranty issue on a SE HB II Piezo.

Back