Custom 24 35th Anniv. Or Paul's guitar signature

Ok I compared the sound position by position and now i really can hear the difference, CU24 is brighter but really less warm than the Paul's Guitar so i think to complete my Stratocaster American tone, the Paul model will be more suited.

As I said, that has a lot to do with the positioning of the Pups and good luck in your search...

Just a question, Was there a reason you didn't look at the McCarty 594? In my opinion, that is probably the most 'opposite' to the Strat as its very much a 'vintage' LP type and has a 'thicker' neck, not that it feels thick. You don't get mini-toggles BUT each tone pot is a push/pull so you get the individual coil splitting too and it too has great Split coil tones. The 58/15 LT's are superb too and I think warmer than Paul's guitar.

Its literally at the other end of the spectrum compared to a Strat....

Ahahah thank you mozzi now I will hesitate between the maccarty and the Paul's . At least it eliminates the CU24 lol

I watched the vidéo and I'm really pleased by the sound I will do the same tone comparaison between the 2 model listening each position one after the other

I watched the vidéo and I'm really pleased by the sound I will do the same tone comparaison between the 2 model listening each position one after the other

There are a LOT of demo's on both - but I linked the official PRS video's - at least they have a consistent player if not consistent settings to be able to compare on a like for like set-up. I would suggest that you search other reviews and demos too to get a broader spectrum of tones with different gear as that will give you a better idea. I doubt you will be playing through the exact same rig and, as you said, you can't get out and try them yourself to compare each into the same Amp.

Another great guitar, if you can find one, would be the PRS Special 22 - this is mine...

MNZdo85.jpg

It too has the mini humbuckers so you can split the Humbuckers too. It has 58/15 MT's which are a bit hotter than the 58/15 LT's in the 594 but you can also add in the Narrowfield 57/08 (in position 2 and 4) so you actually get the '8' selection options of a Pauls, 594, 408, or Cu24-08, but also an additional 4 (NF with Neck or Bridge full or split). Its a Limited Edition run so not in production anymore and probably the closest to a Super Eagle you can get. It also gives you a fantastic floating Trem - which the Paul's doesn't (if important to you - I know you are a strat player)

It has the same neck as the Pauls too and same scale length. I think its a 'Special' instrument - not just Special in name!! Being a Semi-hollow, its quite light too....

Ok Mozzi I think i will owe you a big THANKS, after 2/3 hours of comparison betwen Special 22 / Paul's / CU24 35th / McCarty / McCarty 594 i finally find the one which has the best tone (for my taste and for what i was looking for), and the McCarty 594 was really it !
The Special 22 is a bit too rich for me tone wise when NF pickup is used. So choice is made ;) probably in McCarty Sunburst or Fire Red.
Thank you for all the advices

Beautiful, are they ten top, you're a fan of Fire Red aswell ;D ? Finally I went for the Paul's Guitar in Fire Red cause I thought that the official PRS video did not do him justice, it sounded less warm that in the other video's I watch.

Beautiful, are they ten top, you're a fan of Fire Red aswell ;D ? Finally I went for the Paul's Guitar in Fire Red cause I thought that the official PRS video did not do him justice, it sounded less warm that in the other video's I watch.

All but 1 of my PRS Guitars are in Fire Red burst and not one of them is a 10top (or higher). Personally, I think the 594 is warmer, creamier and sweeter but that's subjective and hope the Paul's guitar delivers what you want... enjoy!

Thanks Rick, yes i will be happy whatever I choose but it's hard to finalize my choice ahah. Unfortunately I live in France and it's pretty hard to find a shop with PRS guitars in stock so i have to order them with UK or Germany.

Hey there, Samuel. Welcome to the forum. You say you're in France. Have a look at the link below to find the French PRS dealer. I'm in Greece and recently bought the 35th Anniversary SE CU from the official Greek PRS dealer.
https://www.prsguitars.com/dealers/distributors

Ok Mozzi I think i will owe you a big THANKS, after 2/3 hours of comparison betwen Special 22 / Paul's / CU24 35th / McCarty / McCarty 594 i finally find the one which has the best tone (for my taste and for what i was looking for), and the McCarty 594 was really it !
The Special 22 is a bit too rich for me tone wise when NF pickup is used. So choice is made ;) probably in McCarty Sunburst or Fire Red.
Thank you for all the advices
Can't go wrong with a 594, especially if you grab a new one, with all of the upgrades for 2020. Special guitars, for sure.

r9mXfQw.jpg

KIph3au.jpg

For what it's worth, the 35th anniversary edition guitars are limited. Could they hold their value a bit more in the long run?

For what it's worth, the 35th anniversary edition guitars are limited. Could they hold their value a bit more in the long run?
I could never buy a guitar with the idea of "selling it down the road." While you may be right, I go for what makes me the happiest to play and then I don't sell.

I have NEVER bought a guitar with 'resale' value in mind. If I was concerned about that, I would never buy a new Core Guitar as you immediately lose money as soon as you buy it. Granted some will not lose as much as others initially and if you wait long enough with some models, they may eventually make their 'value' back but you may have to keep it in its case for a LONG time instead of getting the enjoyment of playing them. I am sure some may buy as an investment of course and that is their choice.

Its possible that a 35th Anniversary edition will not lose as much money as a non-limited edition model when buying new, but then again, potential buyers may opt to buy a Custom 24-08 instead if cheaper. Its difficult to predict whether it will hold its 'value' more or not - especially as its not that different from the Custom 24-08. Its not like a PRS Special Semi-hollow for example which is 'unique' - there isn't another 'core' guitar with a similar spec - at least not at the moment. Not to say the Special will hold its value better in the long run because 'value' is determined by desirability and rarity. If the market is flooded or very little interest in the model, you will have to drop the price down to sell but if they become very desirable and rare, then the price will go up.

Its risky buying any guitar with the hope of returning your investment at a later date - especially if you are buying new. Its better to buy the guitar that suits you and your needs, buy the right guitar so resale value is immaterial. If, at a later date, you do decide to trade, any financial losses are offset by hours of enjoyment you got from playing it...

+1 On the Special Semi-Hollow. I love mine. It get that darker sound, but when I switch to tapped modes, it can brighten up. A older PRS Studio is also great. Both can get those 4 and 2 position clucks from a strat, which I love, but the Studio has those NarrowField pickups in the middle and neck positions, both of which I find useful. But the Special's 58/15 MT's are, well, special, as well. The Special is my favorite guitar.

I could never buy a guitar with the idea of "selling it down the road." While you may be right, I go for what makes me the happiest to play and then I don't sell.
Ideally, I wouldn't either. However, one never knows where life's gonna take them.

Hello guys, I bought my Paul's Guitar un fire red burst, i received it last wednesday and it's really a gorgeous guitar. Sorry for the repetition it seems that all new PRS players say thé same thing but I never played a guitar that so easy to play, it looks beautiful, playability is incredible and all the 8 positions are really offering her own personality. I had a hard time to put it down lol and now I'm in vacation for 3 weeks and i miss it already lol. Again thank you to the community for all your advices that was really helpful for my choice. I would like to post some pictures but I need to find a website to host them.

Hello guys, I bought my Paul's Guitar un fire red burst, i received it last wednesday and it's really a gorgeous guitar. Sorry for the repetition it seems that all new PRS players say thé same thing but I never played a guitar that so easy to play, it looks beautiful, playability is incredible and all the 8 positions are really offering her own personality. I had a hard time to put it down lol and now I'm in vacation for 3 weeks and i miss it already lol. Again thank you to the community for all your advices that was really helpful for my choice. I would like to post some pictures but I need to find a website to host them.
Congrats!

Back