Custom 22 or P22. 57/08's, stop tail... Which one?

tip

Ruminating on a 57/08 PRS.
I think I like the piezo feature?
I guess you need batteries and another (acoustic) amp with another effect chain to get it fat?
Do they have the same frets? Don't care for huge 6100's.

Is the simplicity of a custom 22 inherently funner and better sounding?

I don't have either (considering a P24 or P245 Semi-Hollow), but I know you can internally blend the piezo with the other pickups and run it all out through the main output if you want to. Otherwise you can plug the piezo output into a PA, acoustic amp, etc. and do as much or as little as you want with it. :)

I am biased and just got a P22, NGD here http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?14595-NGD-2012-P22-Rosie-Orange-Tiger-and-pup-question

Yes you need a PA or an acoustic or keyboard type amp to truly get the most out of the piezo. I just did my first gig on Saturday with the P22. I had wireless to the acoustic amp to my far right, and the magnetic pups wired to my PRS H combo amp behind me. The joy of having different sounds coming from different parts of the stage was killer, and as Kazz says, the blending of the piezo and mag pups is a wonderland of new tone. Versatile to the max.
Do not expect to get acoustic/piezo tones out of your regular guitar amp, ain't gonna happen. I tried with my Fender HRDX, and it was bad, slightly better with the H, but no comparison to full range amplification.
I have played a McCarty for the previous 2 years, not too dissimilar from the CU22, but different pups than you're after. Incredible guitar, as are all PRS TBH.
If you have acoustic material to play and don't want to swap guitars... the P22 is awesome. If you want a killer electric, and already have a nice acoustic, then maybe a CU22 is the way to go. Can't go wrong either way IMHO.

Having the ability to create acoustic sounds along with doing all the things a CU does makes the P22 the wiser option but $$ may or may not be a factor for you. I recently picked up a 408 and at times think I should have held out for a p22, it was just such a deal I couldn't pass it up and a great work axe for me. I actually haven't tried a P22, only an HB2 with piezo and dmatthews said "Do not expect to get acoustic/piezo tones out of your regular guitar amp" so I wonder if there is a significant difference in the piezo tone between the HB & the P22 because I was getting some great acoustic tones out of an HB and a mini recto clean channel & 2x12 cab.

Makes me curious to track down a p22 to see for myself.

i have a cu 22 and a p22. for versatility I say the p22. Both have 57/08. the p22 is uncovered and the cu 22 is covered. so there is a difference in midrange and base. I like the sound of the p22 uncovered 57/08 better and they blend well with the piezo. IF i had to choose between the two, the p22 would be first choice. IMO.

I wonder if there is a significant difference in the piezo tone between the HB & the P22 because I was getting some great acoustic tones out of an HB and a mini recto clean channel & 2x12 cab.

Makes me curious to track down a p22 to see for myself.

Huggy, I have no experience with the HB unfortunately, so I can't say for sure, but I suspect the HB and P22 piezo would be extremely similar. That being said, every amp is different so your recto experience is not lost on me. I do encourage you to try plugging your HB into a keyboard/acoustic amp or a PA if you have not done already. It blew me away.

I love my P22, and I also have a 30th CU24. I find the versatility of having the piezo outweighs having a trem. People notice the difference between an acoustic and electric sound more than they notice that you didn't use the wang bar. I do love the CU24, it's just not quite as versatile.

Tom

Back