Custom 20, loop noise, & the local radio station

Beach Radio

Regardless of what pedals I use (currently an MXR Micro Flanger and Carbon Copy Delay - connected by two DiMarzio 3ft cables and both powered by a TrueTone 1Spot), my effects loops is very noisy. If I set my Return level to either max or min - my local FM radio station comes through clearly. Setting both my Return & Send levels to about 3 O’Clock, I get a good signal level back with the radio station gone but with a fair amount of noise.

So short of moving, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or wisdom to decrease the noise (different tube, series to parallel converter, Alastair Crowley chant, etc…).

I had a similar problem with a different rig. Once I took the planet waves cables out of the mix, problem solved.

I had a similar problem with a different rig. Once I took the planet waves cables out of the mix, problem solved.
I just replaced the DiMarzio's with my two high end PRS guitar cables (both 10 feet or so) - and the noise increased much to my surprise...
So I'm not sure what that really means. Thanks for the idea though - it rules out the cables...

The 1 Spot could be introducing a ground loop. Pedals should be powered if possible by a power supply with isolated power outlets. Or try powering the pedals with batteries, and see if that helps.

Ground loops are notorious for adding RF noise (radio frequency) and picking up radio stations.

The 1 Spot could be introducing a ground loop. Pedals should be powered if possible by a power supply with isolated power outlets. Or try powering the pedals with batteries, and see if that helps.
Ground loops are notorious for adding RF noise (radio frequency) and picking up radio stations.
Thanks for the suggestions - but still no luck.
I did two further steps in troubleshooting.
1. I went down to just the MXR Micro Flanger in the loop and powered it by battery.
2. I should have mentioned I am using the Ebtech HumX for ground loop noise.
Neither of those made a difference.
Also, I put in a new set of tubes last week hoping it was a tube problem.

Try just a short cable loop (no pedals). Also make sure your grounded plug is in a good AC outlet. If it is still noisy and picking up radio stations with appropriate send/return levels, the problem is inside the amp.

Try just a short cable loop (no pedals). Also make sure your grounded plug is in a good AC outlet. If it is still noisy and picking up radio stations with appropriate send/return levels, the problem is inside the amp.
Shorting the loop with a patch cable doesn't help.

Here's a video of what I am hearing/seeing:

Thanks for the input everyone - I am wondering if this maybe a defect in the amp....

A bad tube can also cause that problem. Why not call PRS Customer Service?
I just sent them an email - At first I just didn't want to bug them if it really was a normal issue - as someone who has done customer service before I know how irritating it can be when the end user didn't even attempt some basic homework on the issue... The tubes have been replaced with no change.

120 Hz hum. Same hum with the effects loop bypassed?

If the master volume does not affect the hum, the problem is after the preamps. It must be the power amp or power supply. Time to call PRS support or an amp tech.

I had a similar problem with an Archon 25. Once I stopped using a power strip, and unplugged the other stuff that was on the outlet my problem went away. YMMV.

Back