Clapton's SG 'The Fool' Sells

WeFixFlats

Respect The Clave
To Bob Irsay(of course) for $1.27 Million...

and more details of it's history...

He's got Garcia's Tiger too ...
The collector you mean? Not Clapton?

I was at the Grande Ballroom in 1967 or 68 and Clapton played that SG.

When i saw Cream at the Grande a second tome Clapton played a Firebird.

That's me in the polka dot shirt to the left of Clapton. Clapton's red guitar cord is hiding part of my face.

Man it was HOT in there.

Last edited:
Irsay ..the collector is the owner of the Indy Colts NFL team .. billionaire ...

It's Jim Irsay, and as Greywolf said, he's quite the collector. But he's also been known to pull those instruments out for the likes of John Mayer when they come through Indy, so they don't just sit behind glass.

A few years back, Bob & Tom had the guy Irsay sends to the auctions on, and he brought a couple of the guitars in and told some great stories about the auctions. During one of those visits, then-Colts punter Pat McAfee was there.

(Needless to say, that's not the actual Harrison SG.)

That's me in the polka dot shirt to the right of the stage. Clapton's red guitar cord is hiding part of my face.

Man it was HOT in there.

That's a really cool story and photo. I my opinion Clapton peaked in the Cream years so you were lucky to see him so up close. I never saw Clapton using a Firebird, looks weird in his hands. but my favorite part of the pic is the cop sitting on the stage with Cream, looking bored. I mean, if sitting five feet from Cream's amplifiers you can't keep you awake...

That's me in the polka dot shirt to the right of the stage. Clapton's red guitar cord is hiding part of my face.

Man it was HOT in there.
Fire regulations be damned, let them all in! ;)

Back