buddy wants to trade for my HBII, what should I do?

MPR1984

I've always wanted a real les paul, but have bought PRS just because every one I've ever owned had been phenomenal. A friend moved back to town and fell in love with my HBII (2012 w piezo, non-10 top). He offered me an R8 (kind of clown burst, but not unappealing) or a black LP Custom. Would either of these be a fair trade? I haven't kept up on guitar values in a while.

I believe you would be getting a better deal on the R8 trade as far as value is concerned... but the tones and playability are pretty far apart. Guess it depends on what you really want in a guitar?

I really wanted a black Custom with an ebony fret board, but his is the new richlite. I've played the R8 and it sounds great, just wish it was a different finish. Looks a lot like this

original.jpg

I wouldn't want a guitar with a Richlite fingerboard. It's also my understanding that there's a ton of resistance to the Richlite material among aficionados, so as for future value, not much; moreover, Gibson appears to be moving away from that fiasco with its new models.

If you really, really want a Les Paul, make sure the trade is for a truly great one, because the HBII is a fantastic guitar. Remember, there's a reason your friend wants your guitar instead of one of his. ;)

It's not a trade I'd consider, but then I'm a huge PRS fan.

If you can afford and/or justify only one, the HBII is the more versatile instrument. But if you can afford both, that would be the better way to go. A good LP is pretty much a must have. Keep in mind some PRS guitars get you pretty much "there". If it HAS to be a genuine Les Paul, I understand that.......But there are multiple to get "that sound and feel" without the search for a "good Gibson".

A good LP is pretty much a must have

I think it depends on one's philosophy and real needs.

Based on the session professionals that I often work with for ad projects, I'd say there's really no such thing as a "must have." Plenty of players have their own preferences and don't feel a need for much else. Then again, lots of players feel they have to have all bases covered, so I think it's a matter of whichever guitar 'belief system' one subscribes to.

I have worked with serious pros who will only use one guitar model. So one just never knows.

Last edited:
I think it depends on one's philosophy and real needs.

Based on the session professionals that I often work with for ad projects, I'd say there's really no such thing as a "must have." Plenty of players have their own preferences and don't feel a need for much else. Then again, lots of players feel they have to have all bases covered, so I think it's a matter of whichever guitar 'belief system' one subscribes to.

I have worked with serious pros who will only use one guitar model. So one just never knows.

Point well taken......I am inclined to look at it in a bit different light. A good many of us (speaking at least of myself) have less than "pro" needs for different instruments. But we WANT (and hopefully can afford the cost and potential marital grief") of having multiple "toys" to choose from. In that context, the "basic food groups" (to many people) fall into the Tele, Strat, Les Paul, ES-335 camps. As I recall the very earliest ads for PRS featured the ability to get both "Strat" and "Les Paul" from a single instrument. At that time, such things as coil splitting were far less common.....So, sure, there are some compromises (scale length and other things) but a GREAT step forward......Got my first one (CU 24) in 1990.

If I dealt more with reality, I would realize that I SHOULD be able to do most all of what I want/need to do with a single guitar......Okay, to my taste, the modern PRSi, with new pickups and finishes and all else, do a better job for MY tastes than the old ones. But the point remains the same.

But how many times have we heard, "But only a Les Paul IS a Les Paul?" If I pickup up a ME I (for example), it is different enough from the "classic" PRS (let us say CU24) what with the thicker body, greater weight, newer pups, etc that it gets me close to "that" LP sound I hear in my head. IMO, my Huber Orca 59 DOES have that sound (yeah, a purist will argue it has a 25" scale, so it is not "right") even more so. (FWIW, I have never played a "real" Les Paul that was anywhere near as good----The '56 goldtop I let go a LONG time ago was, of course, something of a different animal, but I have had a ton of others come and go too). And I am of the impression the new PS models ("Hammer of the Gods" and its siblings) tread that same path.....Meaning as good as most, better than very many, "real ones".....Those who know much better than me seem to insist that not every original "burst" is "magic" and not every original PAF is definitively better than anything being made today.

For ME, I can get close enough with a NEWER HBII (modern pups, etc) to get all the sounds anyone of my limited ability has any right to get, with the bonus of some "acoustic" blended in, etc.....But when I DO pick up the Orca, select an "M" input and crank it for a Gary Moore tune, I KNOW (and feel) the difference. (Now if my VOICE could also get his sound, that would be something my mates would appreciate!) Fortunately, I can get away with having both guitars (and more, besides). So, to me, "must have" is a very relative thing.......It makes me happy to be able to lay claim to both an HB II and a (sorta) Les Paul.

Real "need?" No. Real fun? Sure!

Last edited:
you will be shunned on this forum forever, you good name will turn to mud. and you will seriously regret it. (lol) les pauls are all over the place, but a great hollowbody you really love i think would be alot harder to find again. but, the only way we find out these valuable lessons is to make these mistakes. good luck on your decision.

what year are the Gibsons? Is the Custom a USA Custom, a "regular" CS Custom or a Historic Reissue Custom? If the R8 is a 2013 or 2014 or if the Custom is a B4/B6/B7 or 68 RI, I'd probably trade.

Out of all the guitars I've owned, including LPs and various hollowbodies, my HB II is hands down e most magical guitar I've ever owned. I have a couple truly outstanding guitars, but the HB is just stunning. I understand the desire for a good LP (I keep going through thoughts of a doublecut Special, but then come to my senses and play my Mira for awhile), but I wouldn't trade my HB II.

That said, if either are out of this world exceptions, you know you can always find an amazing PRS (chances are so much higher than with Gibbies ).

Ever since I bought a PRS, I have concluded I never will need a F or G more than my CU24 or my Spruce HB. However, I have a Les Paul (Deluxe, with the mini HBs), so I guess I don't have any room to complain.

I look at it this way: if I had to keep one guitar, I would be deciding between the CU24 and the HB, and I'd let everything else go. But I have no idea how good an R8 LP is...actually, to be honest, I don't even know what that designation means...I suppose I should look that up.

Still, as others have said, if you find the perfect Gibson, it will be harder to replace than the perfect PRS...lots of perfect PRSi out there, lots of meh Gibsons!

He just called me up and offered a 2014 Les Paul Custom Classic Light +$500 cash. It's brand new, just picked it up from his parents house where he had it shipped and is staying in town. This one is so Damn tempting. Looks like this:

LPCCLTVSGH1-Glam-Shot.jpg

Dude, if you want to make the trade, do it. If you get something you want and feel good about the "fairness" then you're a winner. Doesn't matter what anyone else here thinks as long as you are happy with the deal. Which will you regret more...Letting go of the HBII, or NOT grabbing the LP? :dontknow:

Until he offers you two of his ugly women for your goddess.. I'm not understanding your temptation.

Since you've always wanted a "real" Les Paul, this deal sounds like you would be getting the best of both worlds. It lists for $2399, but a little Googling pulls it up at reverb.com for $1779 (if you want to keep your HB and can afford it), and that includes a hardshell case. If your buddy is including a case, it is almost a no-brainer. But look at it this way: the $500 is a good start toward a down payment for a new HB II! And while you're saving up the rest towards that HB II, you can take your time and look for one that tickles your fancy even more, perhaps.

True, this one is a Classic Light, so it's not one of the old "classics", but at 7~ lbs, it should be fun to play and easy on the back as well.

Now, having sold you on this, I will say that, personally, I would not go this route, simply because I have become a real die-hard PRS lover. I am convinced that with their quality control, and dedication to producing the best instruments, for me there is no need to look any further. And my wallet agrees, not to mention my wife. :D

I wouldn't do that deal in a million years, unless you basically just don't want your guitar any more.

Back