Buckle rash prevention on your new PRS...recommendations?

I rotate my belt so the buckle is away from the guitar and untuck my T shirt. No buckle or button rash on any of my guitars ever.

It isn't very difficult.

These guys had no problems with buckle rash. :cheers:

kris-kross.jpg

Especially the one that died last year.

In searching for a guitar online, I often find references to buckle rash... odd I thought, why would someone wear a buckle while playing a guitar? If you need to wear a belt to keep your trousers up.... that's a clear message that you need to look at what you are eating...Think of it this way.... if you are over weight, you will die sooner... and that means that you will have less time to enjoy your guitars... which I assume is your passion....Sex drugs and rock n' roll. If you are over weight, what kind of sex life are you going to have? Sex has a major influence upon our creativity and song writing; watch what you are eating, exercise, and intensify your love-making! You will find that it pours back into your passion, music!

If you're single, you don't need passion. How much sex do you need to write enough songs for an album anyway?

Gain 20-30 pounds...

Problem solved...

I gained 60lbs when I retired from the Air Force and didn't really notice how bad I looked until I had Straplocks on a guitar. I've had the best guitar strap ever made since I was 15(1978)from Reunion Blues(not the new company)that are not adjustable and has original Straplocks already installed.

The guitar was so high on my stomach, I could've play it like a Lapsteel. Dropping the weight this year.

In searching for a guitar online, I often find references to buckle rash... odd I thought, why would someone wear a buckle while playing a guitar? If you need to wear a belt to keep your trousers up.... that's a clear message that you need to look at what you are eating...Think of it this way.... if you are over weight, you will die sooner... and that means that you will have less time to enjoy your guitars... which I assume is your passion....Sex drugs and rock n' roll. If you are over weight, what kind of sex life are you going to have? Sex has a major influence upon our creativity and song writing; watch what you are eating, exercise, and intensify your love-making! You will find that it pours back into your passion, music!

You get all that from someone wearing a belt?!?!

You could win a gold metal if the conclusion jump ever becomes an Olympic sport.

Holy Preconceived Notions, Batman! Several things come to mind after reading your post.No. 1 - No drugs for me unless prescribed by one of my doctors. I get high on music! Always have, always will.No. 2 - I top out at about four bills, and up til and including today I've never had any problems gettin' 'The Good Stuff'. Just this week I politely turned down the latest in a long line of requests to get married, which tells me I must be doing something right!No. 3 - I haven't done a scientific study of the subject, but I believe that a great many people the world over wear belts, and by no means are all of them overweight.I admire your enthusiasm, but blanket statements are often proven to be incorrect to one degree or another.Respectfully yours, Goldtop
My sincere apologies Goldtop. It was a blanket statement. I regretted posting it the moment I clicked 'post'....I'm quite childish, I have a thought and let it out... often without thinking if I will offend anyone. It wasn't meant to be offensive in any way. I would never make a politician.When recently paging through guitars for sale, I became quite distressed about the number of guitars which were described as having bucklerash.... I just find it uncomfortable to think of people defacing such beautiful guitars as PRS'.When someone approaches my car with a handful of keys I shout at them, "stop there, don't come near my car with those keys!".... I just see it as senseless vandalism.Don't worry, I don't take drugs, I never have done, I also get high on music :) I just think PRS guitars are works of art; I love them!My apologies again Goldtop, and anyone else who was offended by my post.

I had thick terry cloth hand towels,
a light blue for faded blue jeans
a dark blue for dark blue jeans
I folded it in half and tucked it between my belt and jeans and flipped the rest over the top of the buckle to drape over even the bigger cowboy buckles.
I never once had buckle rash.

Last edited:
I just let my gut keep the guitar way out in front of my belt buckle.

Wearing the buckle off to the side away from the guitar works for me, as does playing the guitar higher than crotch-level. If you hang the guitar low you'll likely get buckle rash (unless you wear it REALLY low)--but I can't play it down there!

My solution: http://www.musiciansbelt.com/. Bought two. :beer: Good for car mechanics, too!

Absolutely will not put up with buckle rash. I would wear buffet britches (sweat pants) first.

^^ This. ^^

I recently got one, and I'll be using it from now on every time I gig when wearing pants with a belt. But I often gig in a kilt, and I don't wear a belt with that - I haven't found a buckle-less belt that is thick enough - thin belts look awkward.

At home I can just take off my pants.

:eek:

Or maybe I just take off the belt...

Although I bought my buckle-less belt from Amazon, not the one linked.

Last edited:
^^ This. ^^

I recently got one, and I'll be using it from now on every time I gig when wearing pants with a belt. But I often gig in a kilt, and I don't wear a belt with that - I haven't found a buckle-less belt that is thick enough - thin belts look awkward.

At home I can just take off my pants.

:eek:

Or maybe I just take off the belt...

Although I bought my buckle-less belt from Amazon, not the one linked.

My son wrestles (wrassels) in a kilt. Where did we go wrong...? :bawling:

And ruger: please get that image out of my mind!!!

Back