Bernie Marsden upgrades

You could always consider Gotoh as well.
Yes I love the Gotah 510 series plus the Shijie I just bought had Gotah lockers. Schaller do another one for around £55 but as I said above I just wanted this guitar to be the best version of itself It could and with the choices I made ( plus the bling aspect) IMHO I think I did it . It’s fantastic I did look at the PRS intonation bridge but the Schaller tbh just felt right in the hand with its weight and sleek lines .I have always been a Schaller fan everyone copies their stuff but never equals it their new s locks are just fantastic too. And your right the tone pros one just felt awful

Yes guys sorry my bad, it’s a Schaller signum I will correct .
However to reiterate if you are using it as a replacement on the Bernie . It’s the metric version to fit the posts . The metric studs supplied fit the bushings thread but not the depth they are too short !
Only solution is to take out the existing bushings drill the hole to the length of the stud ( around 5 5mm) and then drop back in the existing bushings replace the existing bushings which are chrome but not really visible unless you go looking for them .

On the you tube video where the guy demonstrates the signum replacement on a core 245. The new pushing drop straight in and no modification or drilling is required as both the thread and diameter of the bushing are the same . It’s in practise an easy fix on the SE just make sure you mark your drill bit with tape so you don’t go through the body and also the earth wire is in the bottom bushing hole so drill marginally ithe diameter of the bolt not the bushing as you are now drilling for the bolt only which is a smaller diameter than the bushing hole.
Thanks for the warning. I'll be sure to look for a PRS SE that does not need this..

Thanks for the warning. I'll be sure to look for a PRS SE that does not need this..
In practise it’s easy I’m no great shakes with wood work and should not put you off the signum I’m delighted with it . So glad I fitted it.
Oh and by the way you don’t need to do the drilling if you like a high action but the chrome bushings then show which is ok if your fitting the chrome version .

Last edited:
Well, as long as you like it, what does it matter?

Personally I wouldn’t buy a guitar that required so much additional work and money to make it to my liking, but that’s just me!

I think it’s not a matter of it needs the work it did not. These are great guitars to begin with. I also own an artist pack custom 22 and have a Suhr custom. Shijie pro ( which is stunning) and did have a Gibson LP standard which I sold to fund the mods ( and I made a profit ) . Sometimes you mod guitars for the fun sometimes to personalise it for you and this one in my case was to make it at least as good as my Suhr and custom 22 and better than the Gibson because I seen the potential in the guitar as the build was so good .I think is now fulfilled it’s the best it can be and that’s really really good . You certainly don’t mod guitars for the money !! Another person might think the guitar sucks, but for me it’s now the best of the breed. By the way the Bernie’s seem to be good investments unlike others looking at reverb prices . They frequently fetch significantly more than the new price. I have seen modded ones and the original usa pickup limited editions go for very good money too.tge 1st rule of economics is scarcity creates demand and capital gain so limited editions seem to hold value well, and why not when the build on them is this good

Last edited:
Bernies are definitely appreciating due to them no longer being made (and being a quality guitar). Has it ever been officially said why they are no longer in production? Seems a bit of a head scratcher to me.

I think they think the market for them is Europe only the 2017 lot were last ones made and were 300 per colour only so it’s fairly limited production . The fact that Gibson now do a Beast LP Bernie endorsed probably soured the relationship a little . The early models Pre 2015 apparently did well . Unless I’m mistaken there has not been one made for 5 years now and the push the generic 245 instead.

That is sweet!! Looks great. Glad to hear about the bridge. I'm doing some super-extensive mods to my new SE245. Was thinking of the Mannmade adjustable bridge, but I like the idea of other options.
The non-adjustable SE bridge is awfully good.

Just saying for a friend ;)

Sorry Mr Mann.

Back