Axe palace limited burl top SE run w/ 7 string SE!!

I'd love to be on board with this, but I can't gel with the 26.5" scale (and I am tired of all of the poplar burl being used on guitars, but that's a different thing). I know a lot of 7 string players have been clamoring for them, but I'm firmly in the camp if 25.5" being enough. I'm sure they'll sell loads of them.

I really want to try a 26.5" scale. I may have to revisit being on board with this.

Can someone confirm that the 7-string will have 7-string equivalent of 85/15S pickups, or will it have the HFS/VB pickups as previous years models?

Also, any idea what the standard tuning of a 26.5" scale 7-string guitar would be? A-D? G-C?

Last edited:
I really want to try a 26.5" scale. I may have to revisit being on board with this.

Can someone confirm that the 7-string will have 7-string equivalent of 85/15S pickups, or will it have the HFS/VB pickups as previous years models?

Also, any idea what the standard tuning of a 26.5" scale 7-string guitar would be? A-D? G-C?

Could be down a step, but can be in standard. Gypsy Jazz guitars (oval hole versions) are generally 26.5" scale and tuned to standard. Extra punch to drive the top.

It seems people like that scale for just about anything. Works for standard or drop A. The djenters like it so they can tune A standard or even drop G without the low end getting flabby.

I can't imagine being comfortable on anything longer than 25.5" myself. Seems like 26.5" would cramp my bend heavy style and make forming big chords more difficult.

I bet they will easily sell out this run. The most common complaint I read about the regular SE7 is the 25" scale.

Really like that emerald green. Shame I don't have a need for a 7 string.

They're doing a 6 and a 7.

I can't imagine being comfortable on anything longer than 25.5" myself. Seems like 26.5" would cramp my bend heavy style and make forming big chords more difficult.
Yeah, that's another reason I probably shouldn't at this time -- I know I'm fine with the scale for notes -- I really enjoy playing my baritone which is a 27" scale -- but I'm really bad about practicing chords, so have no idea if I'd be comfortable playing chords on such a scale. I probably should look at a fanned fret.

Thanks for all the input. I will...contemplate some more.

I only felt a stretch for some chords lower on the fretboard when I had my Altamira. You do get used to it; I actually found that doing the single note stuff messed with my muscle memory more than playing chords because of the increased scale length. YMMV.

I got in on this when another forumite mentioned the pre-order in a different thread about a month ago - they'd put up the pre-order page before all details and approvals from PRS, so they were taking orders unofficially for a while.

I ordered a whale blue 7 stringer - I like my 25" scale SE 7 (usually tuned to B std), but I also like the feel of the 27.7" SE Baritones I have, one tuned to A std the other to B std (no problem with chords or single note lead breaks), so the 26.5" scale of these things should be very comfortable for me. Also: Ebony! I have really fallen in love with ebony fretboards!

As for tuning: you can get whatever tuning you like if you are willing to change string gauges and maybe adjust your nut slots! I use D'Daddario's string gauge tool to find a set with a tension I like:

http://www.stringtensionpro.com/

The burled poplar should look interesting, so that was a bonus.

I'm this close (holds fingers 7mm apart) to putting up the down payment. I've already asked one question on the thread and he answered, so he appears to be a lot more responsive now, which bodes well. I asked about the pickups, so we'll see.

It's too bad about the scale length -- it's 673 mm, not 666 mm. :D
No, seriously, I still want a 666mm scale length. I think. Still thinking about fanned fret.

So what should I call it? I call the previous model the Custom 24/7...should I call this one the Custom 24/7B...Custom 24/7LS...Custom 24/7/265...that almost sounds like 24/7/365...

Dusty, if your question was about the pickups being 85/15s or HFS/VB, the ordering site says the default stock pups are 85/15s pickups.

That was another reason I pre-ordered - I wanted to try the new 85/15s SE pups.

I'm going to call mine SE-7LS (Long Scale), or SE24/7LS, one of your suggestions essentially. Well, maybe I'll actually give the guitar a name, like Michelle, or something (just kidding! I don't name my guitars, cars, or anything inanimate - never really got into that. Though other people have named some of my cars for me - but I never actually used those names myself.)

Dusty, if your question was about the pickups being 85/15s or HFS/VB, the ordering site says the default stock pups are 85/15s pickups.
Yeah, that was exactly my question, but that might be left over from the 6-string version. It doesn't explicitly spell out that these are the first appearance of the 85/15S-7 pups, which they would be, wouldn't they?

If I had the money I'd totally jump on this, love the burl tops and colors.
I too am curious about whether the stock 7 pickups are 85/15-7's.

If I had the money I'd totally jump on this, love the burl tops and colors.
I too am curious about whether the stock 7 pickups are 85/15-7's.
They are, that's what I meant when I said, "confirmed". Sorry that wasn't clear.
7prssecu24_pb_emerald-green_1.jpg

Back