Archon 50 Head developed LOUD hum...

DavidsonCu22EG

Hoping to find some assistance and/or guidance:

I have a Archon 50 watt head and in the last week or so and it has developed a LOUD hum, almost sounds like a 60 cycle hum, but the electrical power outlet is clean. The hum is present even when guitar and effects loop are unplugged. The hum was intermittent but now is constant. The amp is 100% original/stock & came loaded with 6L6 power tubes. I didn't think to check if the hum was there on the clean channel (now that I think about it) & the amp isn't with me, as it's at my band mates house...

Not being an amp tech or very knowledgeable in this area, does this sound like a power tube or pre-amp tube issue, or something else?

Thank you in advance.

TD

Probably a preamp tube gone bad. It happens.

If the hum turns down when you turn down the Master Volume, it's pretty certain to be a preamp tube. If the hum stays loud even when the master is down, it is likely a power tube.

Thanks for the info. Yes, hum decreases when I turn down the master.
No hum on clean channel, no hum when plug directly into effects return - only on lead channel.
So, based on this, it's a pre-amp tube.

Now, are the lead gain pre-amp tubes in the 2nd & 3rd positions from the input tube (closest to the guitar input on the amp)???

Thanks again in advance!
TD

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Yes, hum decreases when I turn down the master.
No hum on clean channel, no hum when plug directly into effects return - only on lead channel.
So, based on this, it's a pre-amp tube.

Now, are the lead gain pre-amp tubes in the 2nd & 3rd positions from the input tube (closest to the guitar input on the amp)???

Thanks again in advance!
TD

Beats me, I don't have an Archon.

Yes, thank you, I was just emailing custserv about exactly that. I followed up and told them I got the answer.

Now can you do the MDT? (Search term is too short -- which I've run into on other forums.)

Changed v1 (input) and v2 to Tung-Sol gold tip 12ax7's and changed the power section to a quad matched we of JJ's.
Very happy with my investment. Sad, the Ruby's (and JJ's in preamp) I pulled were less than a month old.

Back