Archon 100 medium gain tones.

boardn10

Hey guys,

Curious if you guys roll down your amp gain or guitar volume for medium gain tones and if you like it?
I use a combination of things. I often roll back gain or volume but because the Archon is best at high gain tones, and has a great clean that takes pedals well, I'm using medium gain or crunch pedals into the clean channel for mud gain or classic rock type tones.
Pedals like the Revv G2 and Bogner Blue.
Curious what you all find works for you.

That mid-gain range is about the only thing that's lacking on the Archon. The lowest gain on the dirt channel is still dirtier than the clean channel cranked, and as I recall, it was a decent sized gap. If you don't need the clean side as much, or if you're happy adjusting with the guitar volume, there is a nice little bit of crunch at the high end of the clean channel. Whether that's workable for you or not is the question. But, like you, I tend to use pedals on the clean channel to get into that area. Right now, it's a ToneBone Hot British and a Utility Muffin Research Kitchen fuzz.

Thanks,
How's the Tone Bone Hot British?
I find mid gain pedals work very well into a good clean channel so I'm happy with that.
With the amp I have brilliant clean and high gain and then a pedal for mid gain. It sounds to me just as good as a 3 channel amp with clean, medium and high gain.
I was contemplating selling my Archon and saving up for a 3 channel monster like the Engl Savage Mk II 4 channel head.
I also have my modified three channel Dual Rec and Mark V.
I absolutely live the clean and high gain on my Archon and it's fun using various mid gain pedals into the clean.
There are some amazing medium and high gain pedals out these days.
All of the Revv pedals and the KSR Ceres are great. I have friends in LA who play professionally using mostly pedals into clean channels or effects returns, power amps, etc...so it can sound just about as good. I find the Bogner Blue pedal to be one of thr best sounding pedals I've played. I could easily get away with that asy medium gain. Then I can boost it as well.

I bought the Archon because I love the high gains much.

Last edited:
I think the Archon does more than fine with the gain down LOW on the gain channel. Sometimes I'll go a week at a time without ever turning it above 8:00. Classic crunch for days.

But it is a two channel amp, so if you still want a high gain tone on the gain channel, then clean channel plus pedals is your only option.

But if you need clean plus crunch, the gain channel can do just fine with the gain down low.

Keep in mind I don't need low gain crunch. I mostly play high gain. The lowest gain I normally play is something like Van Halen, Alice in Chains, STP, etc.

I think the Archon does more than fine with the gain down LOW on the gain channel. Sometimes I'll go a week at a time without ever turning it above 8:00. Classic crunch for days.

But it is a two channel amp, so if you still want a high gain tone on the gain channel, then clean channel plus pedals is your only option.

But if you need clean plus crunch, the gain channel can do just fine with the gain down low.

I just messed around with it and you are right, for my needs it works. I just turn the depth up a bit to compensate. I also think it works well with the guitar volume down.

Sometimes I enjoy this more than using a 3 channel amp like my Mark V.

If we are playing a variety of songs, I can just adjust the gain on the amp between songs, or use my volume or pedals, etc. Lots of options! :)

Keep in mind I don't need low gain crunch. I mostly play high gain. The lowest gain I normally play is something like Van Halen, Alice in Chains, STP, etc.

That's all the gain you ever need, so that plus a boost/OD for solos and you're good for anything. Much more gain than that and you lose dynamics.

I RARELY turn the gain above 11:00 on my Archon, and usually when I do, it's not for long. Most of it's time is spent between 10:00 and 11:00.

That said, keep that depth knob down if you want classic Marshall type crunch. JCM800, etc have a lot of low freq. rolloff in the circuit. One reason they are so loud is they don't waste their power on low frequencies and that high mid push will cut your head off, by design.

Thanks DreamTheater,
I agree in that I can get all I need with the amp, just adjusting the controls. Adding pedals like the Bogner Blue, Revv G2, or Tone Bone, just adds versatility. :)

Thanks DreamTheater,
I agree in that I can get all I need with the amp, just adjusting the controls. Adding pedals like the Bogner Blue, Revv G2, or Tone Bone, just adds versatility. :)

Yeah, I still use pedals. But mainly an OD or boost for solos on the gain channel, plus a mid gain M voiced pedal (OCD, Barber Direct Drive, etc.) on the clean channel IF I want lower gain rhythm tone.

Yeah, I still use pedals. But mainly an OD or boost for solos on the gain channel, plus a mid gain M voiced pedal (OCD, Barber Direct Drive, etc.) on the clean channel IF I want lower gain rhythm tone.
How's the OCD into The Archon's clean channel?

Really good, but there are at least 10 versions and they all sound different
Nice, I may grab one. I used to have version 1.4 and 1.7. I liked 1.7 so maybe I'll grab one. I like pedals I can use to boost and pedals I can use into the clean as a different flavor.

Thanks,
How's the Tone Bone Hit British?
I find mid gain pedals work very well into a good clean channel so I'm happy with that.
With the amp I have brilliant clean and high gain and then a pedal for mid gain. It sounds to me just as good as a 3 channel amp with clean, medium and high gain.
I was contemplating selling my Archon and saving up for a 3 channel monster like the Engl Savage Mk II 4 channel head.
I also have my modified three channel Dual Rec and Mark V.
I absolutely live the clean and high gain on my Archon and it's fun using various mid gain pedals into the clean.
There are some amazing medium and high gain pedals out these days.
All of the Revv pedals and the KSR Ceres are great. I have friends in LA who play professionally using mostly pedals into clean channels or effects returns, power amps, etc...so it can sound just about as good. I find the Bogner Blue pedal to be one of thr best sounding pedals I've played. I could easily get away with that asy medium gain. Then I can boost it as well.

I bought the Archon because I love the high gains much.

I really like the Hot British (@Alnus Rubra included). It's my main dirt tone right now. Definitely tends toward the classic side to my ears.

As DTR said, the dirt channel with the gain down has a nice grind as well. To my ears, there's a gap between that and the top end of the clean channel - I've thought it might be nice to have that gap covered, but I'm happy with what I'm getting with the pedals, so no complaints here. I don't see my Archon ever leaving.

Nice, I may grab one. I used to have version 1.4 and 1.7. I liked 1.7 so maybe I'll grab one. I like pedals I can use to boost and pedals I can use into the clean as a different flavor.
I've owned 1.2, 1.4. 1.7 and 2.0. I've played 1.1, 1.3 and 1.5. I'd take my 1.2 over all of the ones I've heard, with my new one second. The newest version 2.1 I believe, might be as good as my old 1.2.

I had an old Verizon, I forget what, but it seemed weak. I coild get any punch. I recall liking 1.7, a lot. I think I may have had 1.3.

I may just grab a Revv G2 for my crunch tones. Use the Archon for more punchy and aggressive tones.

I really like the Hot British (@Alnus Rubra included). It's my main dirt tone right now. Definitely tends toward the classic side to my ears.

As DTR said, the dirt channel with the gain down has a nice grind as well. To my ears, there's a gap between that and the top end of the clean channel - I've thought it might be nice to have that gap covered, but I'm happy with what I'm getting with the pedals, so no complaints here. I don't see my Archon ever leaving.

Aw thanks that’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me!;)

I messed around with pedals into the Archon clean channel, like the Revv G2, and to be honest, I much prefer just turning the amp gain down or my volume.
Eat better than the pedals I've tried.
Love this amp.
I may try a few more like the Friedman Be, but I am just not a diet pedal guy.
My Archon, Mark V and modified Dual Rec, I'm fine with no preamp pedals, just some boosts and light ODs.

I have a couple pedals that excel at light to medium open crunch tones on the clean channel. Barber Direct Drive for M voiced tones. OCD is good as well. My favorite is a BSIAB pedal I built with lower gain transistors. It's supposed to be Van Halen sound (Brown Sound In A Box) but with the lower gain mosfets in it it lowers the gain range considerably. WIde open it's gainy, but at noon it's a great crunch tone. You guys who have a soldering iron can buy the kit and I think they're still only $65 or so.

Back