Anyone have Canary?

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
https://canary.is/
Not the bird. :D

I was thinking of getting one for my guitar room. I think the benefits could be 2 fold:
1) I'll be able to check in and look at my guitar room anytime.
2) It motion detects and records audio and video.

Haven't researched it yet, but might be kinda cool if it operates that way. Potentially have every idea captured that I stumble on while noodling around. Not worry about hitting record. Of course it would need to be set up in a location that catches everything. Audio doesn't have to be good, just enough to remember the idea. Seems interesting.

I use one of these

https://nest.com/camera/meet-nest-cam/

Set up couldn't have been any easier. The monthly fee kinda blows, but you don't have to go that route.

It's fun to mess with the pooches using the microphone too. Although, one of these days, they'll probably rip my throat out while I'm asleep. :eek:

Yeah, I'm looking at all the options to see what the features are and how they integrate with other products as well.

I like that the Nest is recording all the time. The big thing will probably be cloud storage cost/how long is the recording there. I guess it doesn't need to be there for too long. Tempted to buy both and see which I like better.

I like that the Nest is recording all the time. The big thing will probably be cloud storage cost/how long is the recording there. I guess it doesn't need to be there for too long. Tempted to buy both and see which I like better.

The Nest has two subscription options:
10 day for $10/ month - video is a rolling 10 day storage with 100+ GB of cloud storage
30 day for $30/month - video is a rolling 30 day storage with 300+ GB of cloud storage

Interesting. I've been looking for a truly wireless system for a while... But they're extremely scarce. I don't think I'd want to put a unit that pretty outdoors, first rain storm would Fry it, if it didn't get stolen first.

I suppose for now I'll continue using my wireless game cam.

Interesting. I've been looking for a truly wireless system for a while... But they're extremely scarce. I don't think I'd want to put a unit that pretty outdoors, first rain storm would Fry it, if it didn't get stolen first.

I suppose for now I'll continue using my wireless game cam.
If you're looking for outdoor wireless, check these out. I bought 2 at BB when they were on sale a couple of months ago. Waiting for some warm weather before I put them outside.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...lack/1668003.p?id=1219507983609&skuId=1668003

They sell them in 2 packs, and singles also.

If you're looking for outdoor wireless, check these out. I bought 2 at BB when they were on sale a couple of months ago. Waiting for some warm weather before I put them outside.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...lack/1668003.p?id=1219507983609&skuId=1668003

Are they battery powered?! That's been the issue I've run in to, all these wireless systems that you still need to run power to... If I wanted to drill and run power lines, I'd run a video line with them, lol.

That system looks like a viable option though, except the 14 degree limit, but I generally only have problems when it gets warmer out.

Are they battery powered?! That's been the issue I've run in to, all these wireless systems that you still need to run power to... If I wanted to drill and run power lines, I'd run a video line with them, lol.

That system looks like a viable option though, except the 14 degree limit, but I generally only have problems when it gets warmer out.
14 degrees ain't gonna cut it here guys! :D
I've actually been real up in the air with wireless systems for the outside. I mean, running on wi-fi - what happens when they cut the line to your internet?!? That's what's kept me from going wireless outside so far.

They are battery powered. And, I agree, the 14 degrees is gonna be a challenge. It was colder than that here this morning (Aurora, IL). Only one way to find out though, but that'll be next winter!

I've actually been real up in the air with wireless systems for the outside. I mean, running on wi-fi - what happens when they cut the line to your internet?!? That's what's kept me from going wireless outside so far.

I hear ya. But, you're in the same boat when they cut the wired power line to your camera too. They'll have to pry a covered cable channel off the side of the my house, or dig a ditch to get to the cable wire though. And, if I mount it in the right spot, they won't even know it's there. Besides, the biggest thing is the deterrent factor if they're visible, along with the "Beware of Dog" signs, and the loud barking anytime a leaf blows by the window.. If a pro wanted in, he'd get in. Some knucklehead kid may keep right on going.

Here's the thing though, everything for my house is in front between the two units, I know where I want to place cameras to get maximum coverage, and one of the cameras would cover my utility area, so if it's cut, they'll still be caught on camera.

But, I'm not worried about people breaking in, I've been on a mission to catch kids in the act of getting in and on my stuff. Been working with SPPD and my property manager to identify all of them, but I only have the 1 trail cam. I've done almost everything I can short of opening fire, lol. At least I know I have the police and the woman who holds the power to evict trouble tenants on my side, which she is ready to do because I'm not the only one complaining about these kids.

Here's the thing though, everything for my house is in front between the two units, I know where I want to place cameras to get maximum coverage, and one of the cameras would cover my utility area, so if it's cut, they'll still be caught on camera.

But, I'm not worried about people breaking in, I've been on a mission to catch kids in the act of getting in and on my stuff. Been working with SPPD and my property manager to identify all of them, but I only have the 1 trail cam. I've done almost everything I can short of opening fire, lol. At least I know I have the police and the woman who holds the power to evict trouble tenants on my side, which she is ready to do because I'm not the only one complaining about these kids.
This kind of thing sucks. I got my original cameras (Logitech) about 3 years ago. Called the cops on a rowdy neighbor up the street after several polite attempts to head things off. They show up and read him the riot act and write a $500 dollar ticket. The next weekend the wife and I were coming home from lunch, pull in and park, and one of his buddies walks up telling me what a POS I am for calling the cops and "framing" his buddy. Idol threats are tossed about, and cameras went up the next day as a result.Thankfully, he moved out about 10 months later.

I am at peace with all my neighbors, so I only need interior detection. I recently got Smartthings, and have used Tasker to rig up an IP Cam on an Android tablet. If motion is detected while we are either out or are home asleep, it records five minutes of video into the cloud. Oh, and it dials out - though I've not yet tested a link to the local police.
No fees, low cost.

Stopped by Office Max yesterday to get a big ol' box of envelopes and they had this system on display running to a tablet, the video quality seemed pretty good, felt a little more durable than they looked, so I think I might give them a shot once it warms up. I'll buy them from Best Buy though so I have 45 days to return them if they end up sucking too much, lol.

Back