Anyone have a good inexpensive way for recording rehearsals on Android?

InTooDeep

Out Lobstering...
Looking for a good solution to record loud volume rehearsals on my phone. the internal mic is terrible a saturates at low volumes. I bought an external TRRS microphone (IMM-6) and that seems to saturate the phones's microphone input.
I see inexpensive USB mics, but they are mostly made for podcast/vocal recording etc. I don't know if they would hold up in a loud environment.

Thanks!

Thanks, that looks like a great resource.
Though this isnt specifically mentioned, I did see this mic, which some people reported being able to record drums and amped guitars. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072HJ1683/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2Y64E4O003V2H&psc=1

Some reported that it worked with their android phones as well. I know this mic is far from being a great recording tool. I just want something to be able to record a song when the key is changed from the original so I can practice along to it.

I did find the Zoom H2 on your list and I went ahead and bought one on eBay for $35!
Zoom H2: https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H2-Portable-Stereo-Recorder/dp/B000VBH2IG
This little thing is super impressive for its size, it can handle high SPL and it sounds much better than any of the mics built into my phone or iPad. It can record to an SD card or straight to my phone using a USB OTG cable. No drivers needed.
Thanks for the help! If anyone else is in a similar situation definitely check out the H2.

Didn't think of the Zoom stuff because of the Android mention, but they're great. I have a H4N (I think that's the model, maybe just the H4). Love it. I've even thought of picking up one of the Zoom camcorders because the audio stuff on those is pretty similar. I've used it a lot at Experience - it does a nice job. The mics are very sensitive - combined with how loud it's mixed, I have to bump the input level down to .1 - that's right, POINT 1 - out of 100 to keep it from overloading on the snare hits.

Didn't think of the Zoom stuff because of the Android mention, but they're great. I have a H4N (I think that's the model, maybe just the H4). Love it. I've even thought of picking up one of the Zoom camcorders because the audio stuff on those is pretty similar. I've used it a lot at Experience - it does a nice job. The mics are very sensitive - combined with how loud it's mixed, I have to bump the input level down to .1 - that's right, POINT 1 - out of 100 to keep it from overloading on the snare hits.
We’ve used zoom products to record rehearsals for the last several years. All of them have worked great.

I use an H6 for doing a lot of mobile recording. I have used it to record rehearsals, gigs, connected to my GoPro to provide better audio - it's a GREAT piece.

Tascam DR-05 v2 here. Nice little thing, does the job. Sadly, I hate the job I needed it for.

I was also going go mention a handheld recorder like the Zoom. Save your phone battery!

Back