2nd PRS suggestion?

veloce

Just looking for a new guitar...SE model due to budget. In the house right now--Zach Myers.... I also have a strat, tele and hollowbody. Just looking for something a bit different than what I have--I've been looking at LP styles-but nothing just makes we want to pull out my wallet. Music I play is all over the place-I know I have a lot of ground covered in the guitars I have, but just wanting to explore other options.

If you have the time, give me a suggestion, and tell me how it will be different from the ZM. Or should I just pull the trigger and get an LP or copy?

Thanks,
veloce

If you're looking for an SE, I'd say find a Bernie Marsden. Great little guitars.

Ditto this. When I bought my Bernie a couple of years ago I went to GC (gasp!) looking for an Epi LP, or one of the Gibby LP versions in the low end price range. I played every one that they had In that store and none of them reached out to me. I saw the Bernie, and thought it looked nice, and decided to try it out. Played it unplugged for a few minutes and decided it was the best guitar I'd touched all day. Bought it without even plugging it in. That's one purchase I've never second guessed.

I'll add a third for the Bernie (personally, I'm an Akesson guy, but they're very similar and neither will disappoint). Both are a step up over the stock SE245, which is already a great guitar.

If you're in the mood for something with a trem, I would check out the Santana, Santana Standard, or the Tremonti Custom. From your existing collection, I'm going to assume you're not into guitars with high output pickups, so I would steer clear of the SE CU24 if that's true. Not bad guitars, I just like others better. Or I could be wrong, and maybe that's what you're after.

Or, if you REALLY want to treat yourself, look into one of the new S2 Satins, or a used S2 Mira. If you're crafty you could talk either one down to close to the price of a new SE. And they are intensely good.

Another for the Bernie, but they might be getting hard to find.

Another one for the Bernie. It was my second PRS. It did lead to a Se245, oh and a S2 Custom 24 and a McCarty. Just saying.

If the Bernie Marsden and the Zach Meyer have pretty much the same hardware, then what am I actually going to get in change of tone? Is it really worth having the Bernie if I have the ZM? Other than the upside of having two PRS instead of one.

A good used CE. Awesome gateway into core guitars for about $1,000.

Bernie.

The ZM will have a different tone partly because it's a semi.

The Marsden is thicker with a bigger neck which gives it a tone and feel unlike any other SE.

Trust me. The Marsden is a very special guitar!

Plus, you can change the pups when you can afford it.

If the Bernie Marsden and the Zach Meyer have pretty much the same hardware, then what am I actually going to get in change of tone? Is it really worth having the Bernie if I have the ZM? Other than the upside of having two PRS instead of one.

This is why I wouldn't suggest a Bernie, as good a guitar as it is apparently (never played one, but I trust the guys/gals around here on such things).

In your case, since you have a strat and a SE ZM, I would try an SE CU24. it will have the trem like a strat (except a quality PRS version), but humbuckers like your ZM, double-cut instead of SC (so look more like a strat), and possibly most importantly, be 25" scale, a bit longer than the 24.5" of your ZM, but shorter than the 25.5" scale length of your strat. I have a ZM and it feels very different from my (core) CU24 - I love both, just different.

Or, as mentioned by G-Man, find a used CE.

Good luck on your journey!

Back