Your best score of 2023

Undoubtedly my 1976 Mesa Super 60 (later to be known as a Mk I) serial #511 from the old Lagunitas dog kennel workshop, signed by Randall Smith. I’d wanted one since I started playing guitar in 1976, but cost was always prohibitive. I bought this one from the original owner, and he was more concerned about someone owning it who really wanted one and understood what it was than making a killing off the transaction. At $1750 shipped, I am ecstatic to have it.

That’s awesome Rick…. I had one just like yours (#400?) in the late 70’s and it was simply an incredible sounding amp. A little different than anything they have made since. We used to call it The Marshall Killer…..
One of my friends is a good friend of Mr Santana and Carlos uses an original like yours still along with a Dumble live, Both together………. apparently it’s so loud it’s scary…..:eek::D

Last edited:
Still haven't given it a proper photo session but picked up PS 8766 in January...
7QjyhEN.jpg

That’s awesome Rick…. I had one just like yours (#400?) in the late 70’s and it was simply an incredible sounding amp. A little different than anything they have made since. We used to call it The Marshall Killer…..
One of my friends is a good friend of Mr Santana and Carlos uses an original like yours still along with a Dumble live, Both together………. apparently it’s so loud it’s scary…..:eek::D
They were so revered by the players that influenced me early on, it was a holy grail amp… just a dream piece of gear for me. I eventually ordered a Mk IIi Simul-Class hardwood combo that I gigged for years. It was the first of many Boogies for me, but never a Super 60 or 100. When this came up, even though I only play my amps at home and gig Fractal gear these days, I just had to have it. The tone is amazingly powerful on both channels and I really dig the “Fender-ish” side a lot, maybe even prefer it for what I play.

But the whole history of this amp; the dog kennel heritage, Randy and Rayven era things, hand etched boards, the whole original Boogie vibe… just really connects with me musically. Even if I didn’t play it, having it here evokes great memories of a great time of my life. Not many pieces of gear could do that.

It’s a total win.

I was lucky to get a gold Vela with birds, and a CE 24 with Dragons in it earlier this year, b it this just arrived today and I would say it’s the biggest catch at my house.

I was lucky to get a gold Vela with birds, and a CE 24 with Dragons in it earlier this year, b it this just arrived today and I would say it’s the biggest catch at my house.

Some great purfling on that new one! Congrats!! The Vela sounds like the bomb as well!!! And a CE, great year ;~))

That is one beautiful piece of art. Congrats!

Back