Yeppers, It's Out In The Wild Now-MT100!

Thanks for that info. While supposedly no two are the same, this does at least put a “model” with it, and does more explain the tones I heard. (Do you agree?). And, a great mid gain channel is always a great addition to a great high gain amp with a great clean channel. No question there. I was just hoping for more 183 tones.

After doing some digging, I found a PG article where Tremonti states his is #281. I haven't been able to find any pictures so my claims of tube type and HRM can't be verified.

I also had a curiosity for that mid gain channel having 2 almost 102 clones myself just to see what they were going for. Maybe it's the video(s), but I haven't heard "it" yet.

Do we know why they didn't make it in thr USA? If it is really as good as a US built amp, I guess I can't complain other than not using US workers.
Anyone know the quality of the inner components? Imports worry me.

Do we know why they didn't make it in thr USA? If it is really as good as a US built amp, I guess I can't complain other than not using US workers.
Fair questions. Good to be informed.

If this had been Made in USA, the price would have more than doubled - much more IMO. Look at the MAP for the DG 30 amp.

There is no world where I’d ever need a 100 watt amp.
"Need" and "100W" has a very small middle area in the Venn Diagram. Any band with a PA doesn't need a guitar amp louder than 20W - mic the cab as required. Any band without a PA sure as heck doesn't need a 100W guitar amp. :eek:

But: 100W is only about twice as loud, perception-wise, as a 10W amp.

And the nice thing about 100W is that when you dial it back to 20 or 30W or 40W, it is just running so nicely and not straining anything.

I have a 100W Archon (as well as a 50W Archon, 30W DG, 50W HXDA, yadda yadda) - they all get played at about the same relative volume - which is at home, I don't gig with them; I have a very different live set-up due to the music I play out, as infrequently as that happens.

This is an amp I will eventually snag, but I don't need either, right now, especially at the release-date street price / MAP. But if one shows up "gently used" somewhere for a good price, I'll jump on it.

How are you on this website without using an imported phone or computer?

How are you on this website without using an imported phone or computer?
One definitely expects a tube amp to last a lot longer than a phone or computer. Ideally they'd last a few decades or longer with reasonable maintenance.

My USA made Archon, for example, will last longer than I will. The capacitors and tubes will need replacing every once in awhile, but otherwise it's rock solid and built to last.

We'll see about the MT100. That price point is very attractive. Hopefully it has PRS quality.

To my relief, Ben at Voodoo Lab reached out to PRS about the MT100 being compatible with the PX-8 and Control Switcher and they said yes and provided him with the schematics for a custom made cable. Thank goodness, I really did not want to go back to tap dancing.

To my relief, Ben at Voodoo Lab reached out to PRS about the MT100 being compatible with the PX-8 and Control Switcher and they said yes and provided him with the schematics for a custom made cable. Thank goodness, I really did not want to go back to tap dancing.
gene-wilder-ritz.gif

Because Mark said he wanted it to be priced below $2k. Or maybe PRS said they'd build his amp, but only as an import, and he towed the line. Based on his amp knowledge, I'd stick with the former.

Because Mark said he wanted it to be priced below $2k. Or maybe PRS said they'd build his amp, but only as an import, and he towed the line. Based on his amp knowledge, I'd stick with the former.

In the PRS promo video, he says that he wanted the first amp to be a lunchbox head because those were bigger sellers. I’d suspect that the money he makes by having larger sales is more attractive than the alternative. That likely matches up with what the company wants and can do, too.

It’s pretty clear that made-in-Maryland amps are going to be a thing of the past, sooner rather than later.

It’s pretty clear that made-in-Maryland amps are going to be a thing of the past, sooner rather than later.

Yikes, I hope not! But I can see why you’d say that. The Maryland offerings have been sparse of late. I’d like to see them bring back some of the mid priced amps, like they had in the USA Archons, Customs/C/H, and tuxedo amps.

The current Maryland amps are fantastic, but you have to REALLY want them, for the price they go for, complicated by the fact that they’re pretty bare bones in terms of modern functionality.

For those that say they don't need a 100 watt amp most likely hasn't owned a 100 watt amp. There is no substitute for Big Iron, in my opinion.
I Find It Funny That We Live In Such A Want Based Society Yet When It Comes To Amp Watts Everybody Is Always Talking Needs...LOL.

What You NEED Is To Play a 100 Watt Amp With Some Volume And Live A Little...

Yikes, I hope not! But I can see why you’d say that. The Maryland offerings have been sparse of late. I’d like to see them bring back some of the mid priced amps, like they had in the USA Archons, Customs/C/H, and tuxedo amps.

The current Maryland amps are fantastic, but you have to REALLY want them, for the price they go for, complicated by the fact that they’re pretty bare bones in terms of modern functionality.

The only ones left are the DG30s and HX 50/100, right? Doug is nearing retirement age. I suspect they've shrunk the staff in the amp department considerably from a decade ago. I think anything they bring back will just be imports. Given the objective failure of the amp business, I can't see them giving it a third try.

Back