Would you return this guitar?

One should never keep a purchase one regrets if it can be returned. What's the big deal? Just send it back.. Simple solution.

This isn't a matter of the guitar itself, it's a matter of your expectation of perfection being disappointed. So even if they replace the pot and switch, as they ought to, and make the guitar perfect in every way, you won't be happy. You've already had the headache of sending it back. If you send it back again, and wait, you'll just be angrier and more upset, especially if it doesn't come back exactly as you'd hoped.

Return it. Get something you have more confidence in!

What Les said. You're obviously disappointed with the guitar. Return it and find one that won't have so much negative mojo for you!:cool:

That's what I though at first, but it's not on any other picture of the same model as mine and it's only on that one bird. It sticks out as abnormal
The inlay material is natural abalone-type stuff - the inside of seashells or similar. It will have color variations. I don't consider that a flaw, just a natural variation like wood grain. In fact, I like the variations, gives some character over the sometimes very plain white plastic (or whatever) of the SE birds.

Not sure that's a "smudge"...looks to be a natural inclusion in the inlay material

Agreed. My old PRS CE24 had this on one of the dots, which were abalone. Natural inclusion.

By the way, standby for a recording of my 30th US CU24 "popping" selector switch - just so you can have an idea of the loudness/magnitude of it.

That's what I though at first, but it's not on any other picture of the same model as mine and it's only on that one bird. It sticks out as abnormal

It's not abnormal, it's a natural shell fergodsakes!

You just lost my sympathy, by the way...

Dude, return the freaking guitar!!! You're not happy!!! You're looking for reasons to send it back, just DO IT!!

Get yourself a nice Les Paul - it'll have celluloid plastic inlays that have no natural markings, and some kind of weird laminate fretboard, and you won't have these problems.

Except with the pots and switches, that are made by the same companies PRS gets theirs from...

By the way, I've had to have a pot replaced on one of my Private Stocks because it failed after a few months - not PRS' fault, how could they know it would fail - and a switch repaired on another one after a few months. The guitars, however are phenomenal, and these minor concerns were taken care of immediately for me by PRS.

So while I understand the perfectionism, I also can't feel really bad for ya. Some guys get lucky, and some get a great guitar that needs a little repair on a part, understand that things aren't always perfect, and are quite happy.

But you're not that guy.

Return the guitar. Get over it.

Last edited:
It's not abnormal, it's a natural shell fergodsakes!

You just lost my sympathy, by the way...

Dude, return the freaking guitar!!! You're not happy!!! You're looking for reasons to send it back, just DO IT!!

Get yourself a nice Les Paul - it'll have celluloid plastic inlays that have no natural markings, and some kind of weird laminate fretboard, and you won't have these problems.

Except with the pots and switches, that are made by the same companies PRS gets theirs from...

By the way, I've had to have a pot replaced on one of my Private Stocks because it failed after a few months - not PRS' fault, how could they know it would fail - and a switch repaired on another one after a few months. The guitars, however are phenomenal, and these minor concerns were taken care of immediately for me by PRS.

So while I understand the perfectionism, I also can't feel really bad for ya. Some guys get lucky, but some get a great guitar that needs a little repair on a part, understand that things aren't always perfect, and are quite happy.

Return the guitar. Get over it.

That told me then

Were it me, with a misaligned pot and a noisy switch, I'd just take it back and get another one. If it were a Les Paul or something where there is a pretty big variation between specific instruments, and if I loved the tone, it'd be a different story. But that's what is great about PRS. They all sound and look great out of the box (except evidently, this one...for whatever reason...) Though it may be new, who knows what it's been through at the shop. Obviously if the trem arm is missing, the guitar has been walking about a bit without its case (I don't believe that the arm was missing when it shipped...) I wouldn't be surprised if your case wasn't the one that the guitar shipped in.

Well, really. You've reached the point of absurdity with this.
Well before you start getting to clever PRS Tech have just confirmed that it is not normal and they are taking it in to sort it out and sort out compensation for me.

Variation of a naturally occurring material is not normal...?:confused:

Well I sent a photo to PRS Europe tech after speaking to them on the phone and they emailed me back within an hour saying that it looks wrong and to send it back

Well before you start getting to clever PRS Tech have just confirmed that it is not normal and they are taking it in to sort it out and sort out compensation for me.

It's still an absurdity. Glad you're somehow vindicated, though.

Just a quick update. PRS have received the guitar back and have confirmed that the selector switch is normal, but the pot shaft is bent and the inlay is defected. Also their is a line in the paint under the lacquer on the bottom of the guitar. They said they would need to ship the guitar back to the USA to get the inlay repaired so they have decided to just swap it for me. To be fair, they have been brilliant. They even offered to send the original guitar back to me whilst I wait for the new one. Very good customer service.

Thanks again for everybody's input.

Just a quick update. PRS have received the guitar back and have confirmed that the selector switch is normal, but the pot shaft is bent and the inlay is defected. Also their is a line in the paint under the lacquer on the bottom of the guitar. They said they would need to ship the guitar back to the USA to get the inlay repaired so they have decided to just swap it for me. To be fair, they have been brilliant. They even offered to send the original guitar back to me whilst I wait for the new one. Very good customer service.

Thanks again for everybody's input.

Nice - sounds like this is being sorted in the best possible way :)

Back