Wooden Pickup Covers

Lacire

Has anybody installed any of the wooden pickup covers and if so how did it effect the sound of the pickup?

TBH, I've never heard of wooden pickup covers. Pickup rings or surrounds, yes. Covers, though, can't say I have. Where did you view or hear of these?

TBH, I've never heard of wooden pickup covers. Pickup rings or surrounds, yes. Covers, though, can't say I have. Where did you view or hear of these?

Allparts carries them for humbuckers in four different woods with the rings included and they’re also made by John Guilford in a verity of woods. I’m going to purchase a set and will post back here once I have them installed.

https://imgur.com/ouIUfnH Made by John Guilford
k8VjAIP.jpg

I think other forum members have mentioned that sometimes there can be a bit of a wait from John Guildford.

Just so you know.

Maybe @bodia can chime in.

I think other forum members have mentioned that sometimes there can be a bit of a wait from John Guildford.

Just so you know.

Maybe @bodia can chime in.

So far I've had no problems with John Guiford. currently he has 98.9% feedback out of 362 sales and has 319 items listed on E-bay. He's 5 star rated on Reverb with 421 transactions and 404 items listed for sale on that site. If anything goes sour I'll let you know.

So far I've had no problems with John Guiford. currently he has 98.9% feedback out of 362 sales and has 319 items listed on E-bay. He's 5 star rated on Reverb with 421 transactions and 404 items listed for sale on that site. If anything goes sour I'll let you know.

Here's a thread with some feedback, both good, and bad. The bad revolves around the customer experience, not the product.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to post the link :oops::oops:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/guilford-back-plates.39466/#post-494698

Last edited:
They're not going to impact the pickups electrically, but depending on how thick they are on top, they will prevent you from being able to get the poles as close to the strings.

I'd say it's no problem on a P-90 or a Strat pickup with raised poles, but for a humbucker it depends on how high or low you like to set them.

Update on the pickup covers; I ordered the pickup covers off of Reverb from John Guilford on Sunday after he answered 3 emails from me and sent me additional pictures of the covers. Once I purchased the covers he e-mailed back and said he would have them in the mail tomorrow. This Monday afternoon I received an e-mail with tracking showing they were in the possession of USPS and will be delivered on Thursday. A four day turnaround on an order seams pretty quick. I’ll give another update when they get here.

They're not going to impact the pickups electrically, but depending on how thick they are on top, they will prevent you from being able to get the poles as close to the strings.

I'd say it's no problem on a P-90 or a Strat pickup with raised poles, but for a humbucker it depends on how high or low you like to set them.

You’re very correct garrett, currently the poles are a little proud of the top of the metal covers. I would think the wooden covers have to be thicker than the metal ones, by how much I don’t know yet but I can probably get a caliper or mic on them when I get them. I’ll post the info when I have it.

68Z7mky.jpg
arrived today, I'll post a pic when I have them installed.
Those look nice! I’ve bought some excellent maple pickups rings from Guilfors before, I’ve been very pleased with them. I’m curious to know if they affect the tone or not, mostly whether they tend towards metal covered or uncovered tones, or something else?

D6J5Qhg.jpg

0jL0BUL.jpg

Update; I received the pick up covers on time from John Guilford, but all is not well in paradise, the ebony pick up covers are the wrong string spacing for the 49.2mm 57/08 pups, they fit my USA Hamer Prototype Dimarzio HB perfect, at 48.6mm. So I've emailed John and am waiting for a reply. These are really nice covers and top notch workmanship so I would like to have a pair with the correct spacing. Being the weekend I'll wait till Tuesday before I open a return ticket with Reverb.

John Guilford just got back to me and I’m going to return the covers to him. I called the PTC and talked to Matt, he's asking about the pole spacing specs for the 58/08 pickups and he said he would email me back.

Last edited:
Back