Who is able to play this? Larry Carlton's Solo to Kid Charlemagne...

I've nailed the tabs...I can go 100% speed up to the 36" mark to the point just after he completes the 2nd phrase after moving down to the 5th fret. I'm about to begin the last 25" of the solo, which appears to be a bit more manageable...however, when I play it...even speed accurate...I'm missing the "soul" of the solo so far. I can't get the nuances...the exact emphasis that gives it the distinction. It reminds me of when you talk to an old schizophrenic whose emotions and affect are flat and blunted...you hear what they say...but there is no emotion in the inflections.

The "feel" is definitely part of what makes the solo challenging. Larry Carlton has a unique "soft" touch. It's really difficult to appreciate what he does until one tries to replicate it.

The "feel" is definitely part of what makes the solo challenging. Larry Carlton has a unique "soft" touch. It's really difficult to appreciate what he does until one tries to replicate it.

Definitely!

When I slowed it down it allowed me to absorb each note a little more. Each note is perfectly played with an incredible amount of 'personality' behind each note. The song isn't fast but it's fast enough that if you don't match that precision you won't recover from that duff note. Bit of a finger twister!

I've got most of the technical bits down but need to spend more time on the feel and vibe. There are a lot of little gems in that solo!

I've got most of the technical bits down but need to spend more time on the feel and vibe. There are a lot of little gems in that solo!

That's why it's considered to be one of the most iconic solos in the history of rock. Here's an excerpt from Guitar Player:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/the-40-most-influential-rock-guitar-solos/4285

LARRY CARLTON

“Kid Charlemagne” 1976

Carlton was already a session legend known for his smooth-as-silk lines that were reminiscent of Wes, Pass, and Trane when he cut this Steely track. But when Mr. 335 combined a rock dude’s tone with a jazzer’s harmonic sensibilities, he created the standard by which every jazz rocker would be judged. Ask Steve Lukather, Robben Ford, or Mike Stern what impact this solo had on them. Alright then.

Back