Which PRS for someone who sold their PRS in the 90s

Kingshade

I used to have an all black custom 24 with the birds. I believe it was a 1988. I’m really not interested in collectibility, just playability. What year custom would you suggest I get that would play like that? Should I just buy another ‘88 or is there something newer that plays as well or better? Open to all suggestions. I just really want to play that guitar or something like it again.

also which model is closet to that? prs models are kind of confusing.

You can always pick up a Custom 24 again...
Lots of these in the used market, and still available new.
There are changes over the years, mainly pickups and aesthetics.
Do you remember if your guitar had a wide thin neck or a regular one?
Also, based on your description, it can be that you had a Standard. Was it all opaque black, or did it have a see through black maple top?

It was opaque black and I’m not sure about the neck but I’d guess normal. Thank you for your answer, this helps.

edit: you’re right. It’s a standard which is why I was having trouble. I didn’t realize they could also have the birds.

Last edited:
Even though used prices are crazy right now, I’d bet you can still find a deal on one similar to your 80s model with a little shopping and patience. The good thing is that, unlike other makers that seem to have a golden era then decline, PRS is still making top-shelf instruments today. Depending on your budget, there are many options: the Standard 24 is available in the SE and S2 series, and the Custom 24 as a core model (should you want to go new).

But the range has really opened up from the “pre-factory” days. I’d strongly suggest you find a PRS dealer within driving distance who keeps a decent stock on hand and go play a few. You make be surprised at what you go home with in that new case. :)

Even though used prices are crazy right now, I’d bet you can still find a deal on one similar to your 80s model with a little shopping and patience. The good thing is that, unlike other makers that seem to have a golden era then decline, PRS is still making top-shelf instruments today. Depending on your budget, there are many options: the Standard 24 is available in the SE and S2 series, and the Custom 24 as a core model (should you want to go new).

But the range has really opened up from the “pre-factory” days. I’d strongly suggest you find a PRS dealer within driving distance who keeps a decent stock on hand and go play a few. You make be surprised at what you go home with in that new case. :)

Great advice here... make a day trip, play 'em all, & run the racks anywhere you can. I was smitten by the Special 22 Semi-hollow, and it's not even close to my budget - and it's still not. But, when I tried a CE24 semi-hollow (on a whim) -- I was floored. I've avoided 24 frets all these years, and I was shocked at how much I liked this guitar. So much, in fact, I'm currently trying to trade my golden mesa Silver Sky for a blue matteo CE24 semi-hollow. Good luck!!!

No affiliation -- but, I played this one in my local shop yesterday... I sure didn't hate it!!!
https://sunriseguitars.com/collections/prs/products/prs-s2-custom-24-35th-anniversary-custom-color-1

Last edited:
This is precisely the wrong way to get a guitar. I firmly believe that one should play as many as possible and buy the one that chooses you.

Going into the process by asking other people their opinions on what you should be looking at? Really, really odd.

Awesome! That one was for sale for awhile listed as a 2006, but really a 1996. I thought it sold and then it came back. Glad you grabbed it! Should be a fantastic guitar.

I mean, if it wasn't a '96 I would think it was the one I sold.. it looks exactly the same, even down to then corroded pick up screws. I don't know why someone switched out the knobs but ill probably put the original ones back in which are thankfully included.

This is precisely the wrong way to get a guitar. I firmly believe that one should play as many as possible and buy the one that chooses you.

Going into the process by asking other people their opinions on what you should be looking at? Really, really odd.

Easy there Uncle bob.. I wasn't trying to try out every PRS, I was looking for a very specific guitar I owned for 10 years and sold when I was broke...now I'm not broke and these nice people helped me figure out the exact guitar... so lay off my mid-life crisis purchase please.

No, not at all.

Easy there Uncle bob.. I wasn't trying to try out every PRS, I was looking for a very specific guitar I owned for 10 years and sold when I was broke...now I'm not broke and these nice people helped me figure out the exact guitar... so lay off my mid-life crisis purchase please.

I have a guitar like that too. It was an ‘09 Satin Standard 24. I loved that guitar but had to sell it because I needed the $$. If I could find it again I would totally buy it. I have since bought a Standard 22 Satin. It’s great but it’s definitely different.

Back