Which guitar hero got you to pick up an axe?

Speaking of electrifying performances, that Bonamassa video I shared in a thread makes me want to pick up an axe. An actual axe, with a handle and a metal chopper-upper thingy at the end!

And take that axe and destroy all of my guitars so I'm never tempted to play again. ;)
I have days like that...and as I get older it seems they get more frequent...lol.
When I watched Fripp playing fairly recently without even looking what he was doing I was humbled yet again.

I have days like that...and as I get older it seems they get more frequent...lol.
When I watched Fripp playing fairly recently without even looking what he was doing I was humbled yet again.
Yeah, Fripp's another one.

In a way, it's a blessing that I have nerve damage on my fretting hand.

"Gee, Les, you sucked tonight."

"Hey you shoulda heard me when I was good. Now I have nerve damage on the old fretting hand, what can ya do?"

"Gee, for an old guy with nerve damage, that's pretty impressive playing. Sorry I was so critical!"

"No worries. Say, would you mind rolling my walker this way so I can stand up?"

I would actually say that the guitar players I loved most made me shy away from even trying ;~)) Started playing Clarinet when I was 6, and in the 3 years that followed was instructed on piano, harp, autoharp, xylophone and a few other instruments (never a guitar). I knew then that music was my religion, but never thought of guitar as anything other than another tool to make music. But artists like Zappa, Fripp, Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin, Al Dimeola, Hendrix and more made me think "why bother trying, I will never hit it like them". So I guess, Bob Dylan was probably the one who made me think "I guess I don't need to be Hendrix to do something with a guitar". And that is where I remain in my guitar playing level, and am fine with that ;~)) Thank you Bob-O for showing me the way to the path of least resistance!!!

Originally, I have no idea. That was in the early ‘70s and pop music didn’t feature a lot of stand out guitar. Just a lot of tasty rhythmic parts. Later, it was Eric Clapton. His “slow hand” style was something I related to. After a decades long respite from guitar while playing bass exclusively, Warren Haynes is probably the guy that got the guitar back in my hands.

For me it wasn't a "guitar hero", it was singer-songwriters: Bob Seger, Bryan Adams, Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp. I didn't get into the "hero" stuff until at least a year later, when I could actually PLAY songs. EVH, Eric Johnson, Richie Sambora, Angus Young, and Steve Lukather because he played on EVERYTHING at that time (unbeknownst to me, but all those various parts and solos he wrote for all those hits of the era can't be underemphasized on their influence on me).

Back