Where to find info about type of finish of my PRS

PRSCustomer

Hello

Long story short: I got a prs core McCarty 594. PRS website has a section about cleaning:

"We recommend PRS Guitar Cleaner and/or PRS Guitar Polish for all PRS guitars with our normal acrylic or V12 finish. However, because the PRS Guitar Polish is NOT safe for Nitro finish, a quality furniture polish can be used to polish your Satin or Nitro finished PRS guitar."

But where do I get 100% accurate info about type of finish my particular guitar has? It is probably v12, but I'd like to avoid any guessing, since PRS states that finish damage is not a warranty case.

Thanks

Call or email PRS with your model and serial? https://prsguitars.com/support number/email is at the bottom. They are still a bit behind in catching up from COVID so it may be a bit of a wait.

I think they started phasing out V12 2-3 years ago. I just use a wrung out damp rag on my nitro guitars, but I’m sure there must be suitable cleaners out there.

There is a post in the general forum currently about the PRS cleaners and nitro as well https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...-with-paul’s-guitar-finish.48651/#post-653272

What year is your guitar? When PRS switched from poly to nitro in late 2019, not all of their records matched what was actually done. My early November 594 in their records is poly, but is actually the new nitro.

I'm a bit puzzled with PRS recommendation to use furniture polish for nitro. Most if not all furniture polishes contains silicon which gets in between nitro cracks, darken and contracts pulling the finish out. I would rather use Gibson care products... my £0.02

Music Nomad is kinda thing now, isn't it? People really dig their fretboard oil. I'm just about to finish Fret Doctor bottle I bought back in the days they ware made by the old guys and considering to switch. Main reason I always used Fret Doctor was because they supposedly darkening the rosewood. Same time I don't think I need it as my Custom 24 is nice dark chocolade brown while my Standard 24 is almost black already

Back to the body care. Whatever it makes my Custom 24 smells as it smells I want that thing. It's a sweet, woody scent. Not sure if that's the paint they used, polishing compound or care product but I still can smell it 6 months later.

I thought the new PRS polish is nitro safe? At least, that’s what it says in the description. Sold out on the PRS affiliated webpage though, I’ve been waiting for it to come back in stock… In my impatience, I tried buying it from Amazon, but I received a white box instead of black, which makes me think it might be the old, non nitro safe stuff. I quickly returned it.

I'm a bit puzzled with PRS recommendation to use furniture polish for nitro. Most if not all furniture polishes contains silicon which gets in between nitro cracks, darken and contracts pulling the finish out. I would rather use Gibson care products... my £0.02

My understanding is the furniture polish or silicone is an issue for a refinish but otherwise safe. I don't know but many swear by it or used too. What do I know.. I use car products, 65, nomad, and cape cod on my guitars.

My understanding is the furniture polish or silicone is an issue for a refinish but otherwise safe. I don't know but many swear by it or used too. What do I know.. I use car products, 65, nomad, and cape cod on my guitars.

I'm not using a lot personally other than Fret Doctor for fingerboard. I'm using dunlop microfiber cloth and cleaning my guitars dry. I have Gibson polish which I used once on my Custom 24 in last 6 months and yet have not on newly purchased Standard 24. When I collected the Standard last Friday it had some gunk of the fretboard (yuck!) and on the headstock. I clean it trough and trough with naphtha (lighter fluid) as recomanded in Dan Erlewine's book "how to make your guitar play well". He is one of the most respectable repair guys in the business and he uses naphtha only for everything - vintage guitars included. Seriously, good cloth alone do me just fine most of the times and I really care about my beauties :)

Back