What's Your Favorite Wood/Grain/ Species For a Top

If we are talking about 'tonal' woods, then I don't have a 'preference' as such. It would really depend on the whole characteristic of the complete instrument rather than just the top. I would happily pick any woods for the top if the overall tone was pleasing to my ear if the top complimented the body, neck etc that the whole instrument when constructed makes. I don't like too 'bright' guitars and like a bit more warmth but I do like some clarity too.

From a visual perspective, I do like to see the 'grain' in my guitars and quilted/flame maple is a particular favourite. I do like to see a strong contrast too so you get more 'character' - which is where these maple tops really excel. Some grain can be more subtle. I like Burl and Spalted too as these offer a lot of contrast and character.

As for this...

3LJex5z.jpg

...I think that would look stunning!!!

I don't go for 'solid' coloured guitars, ones that don't show the wood grain at all so I wouldn't pick a Silver Sky (if I was in the market for a Strat) or a Goldtop - any guitar that is 'painted' to cover/hide the grain. That being said, I would go for a guitar with an artistic design - I love Gigers artwork for example so I would sacrifice seeing the grain for a Guitar with a Giger although this does have both (art and grain)

a48f72696a3de1d97ad0504fbcd9d03b.jpg

Not sure if it would feel comfortable to play or sound great but it looks great..... I know its not a PRS either and has 'dot' inlays but I love the artistry of the wood carving in the body... Check out Doug Rowell who has carved Dragons on PRS guitars - Still would prefer a PRS Custom 'Dragon' though...

126256-guitar-dragon-red-guitar.jpg

Any excuse to post a picture of a PRS Dragon :D

Why hullo, old thread! I must say belatedly, burled maple can sometimes produce patterns that are downright artistic and even “meaningful”.
OYuPuWK.jpg

Figured Myrtle is cool.

Figured European sycamore I also like.

Pommele sapele is great too.

But if you want wild, you need lacewood or leopard wood.

4,000 year old cedar of Lebanon, taken from a royal Egyptian canopic chest, with the remaining gesso and paint left on.

What a sound! Haunting. ;)

A little hard to find, though...

“Where’d you get that, Les?”

“Oh, I had a tomb made, back in the day. A wood merchant named Phoneyephtys shipped it to me on a fast galley. Turns out I didn’t need it, so I just hung onto it.
Didn't you hear Les?!
They just uncovered one like that near the Beirut port explosion, one niggle though...
It's all blasted to smithereens, so they're trying to build it back like a jigsaw puzzle, Nahhh, just kiddin'.

Didn't you hear Les?!
They just uncovered one like that near the Beirut port explosion, one niggle though...
It's all blasted to smithereens, so they're trying to build it back like a jigsaw puzzle, Nahhh, just kiddin'.

Hahahah!

Back